1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dogs - A cure for loneliness?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by FormerFapaholic, Jun 8, 2018.

1. FormerFapaholic

FormerFapaholic Fapstronaut

As with everyone talking about loneliness. Not having a wife/girlfriend or a boyfriend/husband - a loving partner in other words.

But isn’t having a dog a great remedy for loneliness?

Dogs are great pets. Being greeted with a happy hound jumping up, and/or wagging its tail. Going out for walks and the great company that they are.

I find that dogs help take away the pain of loneliness - and the stress of everyday life. With what they give back to you. There have been many studies that dogs have been a great cure for those suffering depression and/or loneliness.

I’m currently single and having a dog helps me forget about being single, and overlook the stigmas attached to it.

2. Sure is ! Dogs are great companions ✌

FormerFapaholic likes this.
  3. Yes, I can totally confirm this. I have mine since nearly a year now and it´s best thing that happened to me in the last years.
    Not only that it´s very comforting having a warm animal laying next to my side in bed, but also the social contacts a dog unavoidable brings with it, because I have to walk out and meet other people several times a day, what was quite a new, but supporting and grounding experience to me. (considered myself a cat person before)

4. Definitely. I always been a loner, maybe even a misanthropic most of the time, but without my doggo I would be lost. He cares about me no matter what, he's a great companion, he help me live a more healthy lifestyle because if I'm not outside walking with him I'm outside throwing him balls/freesbee/toys etc, I suspect that without dogs in my life I would have been always in my room playing videogames.
    oh, and last but not least he's the most fluffy animal known to mankind, which is a huge plus..I mean, it happens that I have a bad days just looking at him all happy for no reason instantly make my day better. Dogs are pure magic lol.

Buddhabro and FormerFapaholic like this.
  5. AllNamesUsed

AllNamesUsed Fapstronaut

I thought of that but I'm allergic to nearly everything can't even get a pet

6. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I would prefer a cat.

V∧DΞR and OhWhenThe like this.
  7. WHMvsPMO

WHMvsPMO Fapstronaut

Pets in general are great, I bet a lot of people already have pets but may do well to spend a little more time with them. Although as nice as it is it works on a more instinctual level, it doesn't satisfy our minds tendency for meaning making which would require a human being - preferrably one that isn't stuck in their own meaning and is actually capable and willing to see things through the perspective of others or even collaborate in an open conversation. I read stories of animals sometimes and that I guess partially bridges the two aspects. For example there's the story of James Bowen, a recovering heroin addict who was busking and how adopted this orange tabby he named Bob.

8. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Mate, they are....I miss my dog so much....now I'm lonely again :emoji_disappointed: and it's even worse when you feel lonely even with people around...

9. Watanabe

Watanabe Fapstronaut

10. lowkeysonly

lowkeysonly Fapstronaut

I just got one recently and it's been a blessing so far.

tout ça pour ça likes this.
  11. tout ça pour ça

tout ça pour ça Distinguished Fapstronaut

caring for something someone else helps me so much in so many ways.
    i have three dogs, each one is different with different needs; but they all need attention walks and play.
    they keep each other company, me company and i keep them company.

i think they think im a dog too.

12. Ultimately it wasn't a cure for me. When I used to live on a college campus I once spent a full day alone with my dog but I still felt like I wanted to be around another person.