1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't lay in bed during the day, sit correctly

Discussion in 'Abstinence, Retention, and Sexual Transmutation' started by Stichting, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Stichting

Stichting Fapstronaut

It is not just retaining semen and avoiding watching pr0n.

There may be circumstances you're not aware of that lead more toward the old bad ways. Or you may be aware of them but they seem too insignificant to pay attention to, because it doesn't seem that strong enough to always cause a relapse and that it is only this time that it does. While in fact it will keep recurring and you keep applying the same thought pattern that you will be able to deal with that circumstance next time and there were multiple factors that lead to this relapse.

An example of such a key cause I am encountering repeatedly for years now, is the position or posture of the body. Especially while doing difficult or stressful mental tasks, like studying or solving problems.

The 2 types of positions that are of importance here are laying down while it isn't the time to sleep, and sitting down in a way with your thighs too close together. When you sit make sure to keep a fair distance between your legs as it can otherwise put pressure in the wrong areas, and cause bad circulation of the blood in that area.

When you lay down, especially in bed, your mental state totally changes. Because of the relaxed state the conscious mind gets less active and you have less control of actions. When you go to bed for sleep purposes at night however, that usually isn't a problem because the sleep cycle together with the tiredness gets the mind prepared for sleep. Compared to laying down during the day, you still have much more energy that you're not using in any way, making it easier to let it go out in the easy way.

2. Fighter911

Fighter911 Fapstronaut

I totally agree with you, everytime I relapsed I was laying on the bed during the day or sitting down on a sofa. First of all it's not an healthy attitude, I have lot of things to do and not doing them, it makes me lose selfconfidence. In addition, boredom is a great trigger to PMO for me, and not only for me, sloth and lust are very good friends, if you defeat one the other will be weakened.

pangolin_21 and Stichting like this.
  3. StevieW

StevieW New Fapstronaut

Dear Stichting,

thank you so much for your words. Especially your sentence "Because of the relaxed state the conscious mind gets less active and you have less control of actions." helped me to recognize how wrong and stupid this behaviour - laying in bed during the day - is.

I wish you all the best

All love and good

Stichting and pangolin_21 like this.
  4. pangolin_21

pangolin_21 Fapstronaut

For those that have these bad habits (like me), I think we need to establish rules like this: not to lay in bed during the day. Also not doing other activities than sleep in bed is one that I should establish.

It would be good to first make and write down such rules, then monitor and go for progress. We must be positive and if we struggle and fall back we shouldn't just scold ourselves and subsequently become desperate but rather we need to keep faith and continue with the fight and hard work.

Count me in! I'll be on this track, starting immediately. Accountability check!

Stichting likes this.
  5. pangolin_21

pangolin_21 Fapstronaut

I should also mention my current routine: since my employer reduced my working hours due to covid (also the university is closed) I haven't been able to use all the free time productively. My sleeping routine has shifted so much that recently I got up not before 3pm !!! Fuck it! This needs to change.

6. Stichting

Stichting Fapstronaut

Thank you too.

7. Stichting

Stichting Fapstronaut

I agree, writing down is a good additional tool.

8. GoldzNTreez

GoldzNTreez Fapstronaut

That's of things I avoid laying in bed all day