1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dreams and why you should go after them

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Yashar, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Yashar

Yashar Fapstronaut

Today I woke up and was unmotivated. Didn't do the morning-workout I usually do every morning without even thinking. I went under the shower and I thought about life, goals, relationships, etc.

Then I started to eat breakfast and my brothers wife asked me: "Do you know a turkish guy called Volkan? He is your age.", "Yes I know a Volkan, we're not really good friends but we always talk to each other when see us and we spent some time together some years ago. He's a really nice guy.", I said. And then she said: "He died yesterday." , "What? How?", I asked. She answered: "He and an Albanian guy from Melchnau," "Fitim!", I said. I directly knew it was him, "did he die too?", she continued "Yes both died. They were in a garage and were doing some stupid shit with fire. The car blew up and both of them died immediately." "Wow.", I thought. That was crazy to hear. I logged into my Facebook and saw all the posts. Volkan and Fitim really died.

They were not really good friends of mine. I just knew them. I used to hang out with some other dudes that were hanging out with them. And we just knew each other since then and we would respect and greet each other. To be honest. I didn't even like Fitim.

Now what has this story to do with you and your dreams?
    I thought about it and I said to myself: "What if I die tomorrow?".
    I would fucking face my death and shout my lungs out while dying because the things that I wanted to achieve would always stay unachieved and to be honest, I never really tried hard enough. Damn, I never gave it my all except in these 12 days I didn't fap. And thinking about this really makes me ask myself: "Why would you skip the workout? Why would you procrastinate? Why would you fucking do any of these things when you know that tomorrow it could be over and if it would be over you would be disappointed because you didn't give it a 100%?"
    Honestly, fuck comfort! Fuck what "could happen if I fail". The only fucking things I am truly afraid of are these 2: Dying without achieving my goals OR dying and knowing I could've done better and fucking regreting.
    Some guy was once talking at Joe Rogans Podcast, he said: "We don't know what comes after we die. We always imagine fucking candyland but it's possible that our "computer" just shuts down and that's it. You're dead. And this is why you should go after every fucking dream - even the stupid one's!"

The fact that Volkan and Fitim died and overall how they died really shocked me and reminded me how important it is to be grateful for living in this unique time where we have the opportunity to be almost everything we want...

Not everybody has the luck you or I have and we should really enjoy and use every bit of it!

Rest in peace Volkan and Fitim.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  2. I read a book once about someone who stayed mindful of this very state of mind by having a death mask ---of himself--- on his desk. (You have a plaster replica of your face made... it is easy to imagine that that is what you would look like if you were dead). He would look at it from time to time to remind himself of his mortality.

Yashar likes this.
  3. Jdw11193

Jdw11193 Fapstronaut

This is a pretty powerful post. Death is inevitable. We all walk around as if we are invincible. But the truth is, one stupid mistake by someone can cost a life. This inspires me to push harder than I have been. Tomorrow could be too late

Yashar likes this.
  4. Yashar

Yashar Fapstronaut

That's exactly what I mean. If I die without achieving my goal I want to know that I gave my everything to get there.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. Dr. J

Dr. J Fapstronaut

I was listening to the woman who wrote the book "Stay". It's a relationship based book on suicide prevention. She said the number one reason not to commit suicide "You owe it to your future self". I thought, that's a great perspective. When I look back, and I'm 85 years old, I may look to this time in my life, pushing through these cravings and relatively small hassles to see the bigger picture of my life and potential, and think "I'm so glad I thought about the old me then".

6. Yashar

Yashar Fapstronaut

Hey Doc!

It is truly inspiring to hear such things from a person who has been there and done that.
    Sometimes we forget that time waits for no one. It's sad that people often don't live up to their potential just becuase they don't see it. I hope I can really live up to my full potential anytime soon.

7. newmotto90

newmotto90 Fapstronaut

seriously thought provoking, just wasting time on stupid things which are not taking you anywhere...
    Procrastination helps very few times but every other time makes lives worse, as Seneca says "For we are mistaken when we look forward to death; the major portion of death has already passed. Whatever years lie behind us are in death's hands"
    Thanks for sharing this, time for me to prioritize certain things I wish I had done long back...

Yashar likes this.