1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Driving anxiety

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by BigBadWolf_27, Jul 11, 2021.

1. BigBadWolf_27

BigBadWolf_27 Fapstronaut

I don't like driving. I really don't.
    Two years ago my parents forced me in some way to get a driver's license. It's a common thing, especially at the countryside, where I live. You're old enough - you need to pass this. The thing is... I passed only theoretical test, practical part was my worst nightmare and still is, to be honest... Most of my friends already achieved that, I feel really bad by comparing myself to them, even subconsciously.
    The thing is... I developed some kind of phobia related to this. I'm incredibly afraid of driving. I'm anxious about losing control of the car, create some accident and so on... I'm not feeling well with all that responsibility on myself. On my first exam I was so scared that I didn't even turned the engine on, I just panicked, wanted to run away from that place as fast as possible. I can't think straight, the feeling that I'm being judged by other person is terrifying for me. Even though I was driving for some time in the past I still have some problems with starting the car. It makes me feel nervous and insecure. So many people passed this already, some of them was complete rookies and they still managed to get this done... And I'm still in the same place, considered as a loser and crock.
    Now I know it's inevitable. If I really want to gain some independence, find a work or go to college... I need to pass this. I started to read some book related to that, to feel a little bit more confident behind the wheel. It's the first, important step I need to take. I signed up for a driving course again after those two years. It's now or never. I'm scared, I really am. I would like to have this behind of me already like never before...

2. I have the same but I have so much anxieties I hardly feel like a man.
    I haven’t driven a car in 3 years and I probably never will do it again. I got my license because I was pressurized to do so, never felt confident behind the wheel. The idea of causing an accident is crippling. So I do have a license but I have no experience so I am probably a nightmare on the road. I avoid it at all costs.

Oh well I gotta live with myself and my faults, I have no other choice

3. We are same on this issue dudes :D

4. Aram124

Aram124 Fapstronaut

I am scared too I feel weird don't worry it's normal

5. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

I have the same issue, frightened. I want to persevere and get through it though.

6. Hey man I’m going to move this to the correct section for you.

gordie and BigBadWolf_27 like this.
  7. Books can be good, and video lessons! Wish I'd known about them when I started learning to drive. Look for information that is explained in a calm way, then learn at your own pace. If your driving instructor makes you feel bad, get a different one.

Anonymous86 and BigBadWolf_27 like this.
  8. BigBadWolf_27

Time for a little update. I went for that driving lesson and it was... quite a frightening experience. In the end I was happy for two major things - I crushed my comfort zone and I felt full control behind the wheel. The thing is... I forgotten most of the rules and it was a reason for my instructor to call me just a poor driver. So many people told me that already, but whatever... I'm used to this. I felt defeated at first but after some time I don't give a damn that much anymore. Sooner or later I will pass this test.

9. Sounds like a bad instructor. Well, maybe some people can put up with a critical instructor but I sure can't. I'd find a more helpful one if I were you. But also watch video lessons and/or read books and information to get the points that you might miss while doing ordinary lessons. Good luck!

BigBadWolf_27 likes this.
  10. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

First of all - don't ever compare yourself to other people!

I know what anxiety is, and I have it. Just not the kind of yours.

My anxiety limits me from joining the military and here in Israel it's in the norm, I even went to premilitary program and suffered my ass because of it but I just couldn't deal with the social life, everything was of only the social was the problem.

So must of my class went and I didn't, even though I prepared more than each one of them for being a warrior. And I'm going to volunteer just for but it's not as hard it's just the best option for me.

Now if you rethink it, other people and rookies that you've mentioned probably don't suffer from the anxiety you have, which is why it's much more easier for them unlike you because it is 2x or 4x harder for you. If other people had what you have they would've probably been in the same situation.. like I said, my anxiety stopped me while others achieved what I wanted and most likely they didn't suffer from it, and I know for sure that they didn't because of my past.

11. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

It's important that you're driver instructor gives you confidence, when I switched from automatic to manual I had to go through the driving test again but my instructor didn't give me confidence which is one of the reasons I fked up. I moved to another instructor which is actually close family but the thing is he gave me alot of confidence I passed the test straight away. Main reason people fail is stress if you aren't confidence with your instructor how the hell will you be infront of the tester..

amaranth and BigBadWolf_27 like this.
  12. BigBadWolf_27

Thank you @diaspar and @AlphaGod for some handful tips.
    I was thinking about this for a very long time and it's true - anxiety is holding me back. It's really strange feeling - being afraid of something and still willing to achieve this. I think semen retention is a real deal, I just feel different. But at the same time I know something - I need to learn the rules and respect them, I can always pass this test in some smaller city, but I need to know the rules in order to be safe on the road and not lose driver's license quickly. I'm still struggling, but something is different...

diaspar and AlphaGod like this.
  13. BigBadWolf_27

I've been already on four lessons and... my instructor said that I'm ready for an exam. It was really hard to conquer that anxiety, mostly because of the bad memories. But I just went through it. And you know what? I like driving, it's no longer a scary thing to do for me. What's my advices? Learn. Gain knowledge about the topics that you're afraid of. Become obsessed, really pay attention. With knowledge you will gain confidence. We are often afraid of the unknown, break that down. There is always hope, believe in yourself. And remember that your biggest enemy is living in your head.

88991s and (deleted member) like this.
  14. BigBadWolf_27

Some time flew over, I gained experience and confidence behind the wheel. I felt comfortable in any kind of situation on the road. I passed the test on my first attempt. The story behind this is a little peculiar. Let me say that I was a really anxious person when I started a journey towards getting the license. I was afraid of everything - other cars, losing control over mine, doing something wrong, crashing and so on...
    I couldn't sleep at night before my first practical lesson. I cried, wanted to postpone it, or just find an excuse to run away. I was so scared that I couldn't focus on driving, I made a lot of mistakes. I went back home and collapsed. I was mentally destroyed, I was thinking about giving up. On a second terrible lesson I opened up to my driving instructor and said about my story, doubts, anxiety and everything else. He said to me that driving is all about constructive thinking and everybody can have it. Since then I was gaining a sense of comfort with each and every next meeting. After two more lessons he told to me that I'm ready. And you know what? I believed him.
    I knew that I need to practice and gain knowledge along the way in order to succeed. I started watching video lessons, reading about this topic and simply absorb everything related to this. Every single day, I was working on my goal. If you really want to succeed at something, you need to develop a strong devotion towards it.
    I was visualizing myself going out there, feeling confident and finally passing this. With every possible detail, like smell in the car, feel of the clutch underneath my legs and steering wheel between my hands. I was visualizing myself holding the exam sheet with the positive rating on it. And at the same time I wanted it. I wanted it badly. I knew that it's neccessary for my further growth, and all of this job I've done so far cannot be wasted. I simply came too far.
    I also started some conversations with my brain and my... dick. I told them - "Okay guys, I know that you want me to get rich, famous and laid as quick as possible so let's make a deal. Driving license means more possibilities for me to get a job or find a girl. Real money and real chances of precious procreation act. Let's do it."
    I learned a one, fundemantal thing. If you will be able to tie your goal with that inner sexual desire and channel your energy towards it, nothing will stop you. It's the most powerful drive the living man can produce.
    I remember some of my dreams from that period, like my first wet dream during abstinence. I wasn't dreaming about sex or naked girls. At that dream I was entering a corner with the car, while releasing the clutch. When I released it completely, I felt really intense feeling and woke up with my underwear completely soaked. I think that in that particular moment I sacrificed part of my inner energy, my seed, on that goal. I was also dreaming about the exam itself, when the examiner was incredibly kind for me, we played video game together, I know, wicked stuff. Finally I was dreaming about a blonde girl I didn't knew at that time. It came out that she was part of the driving students crew, sitting next to me during my last lesson. I knew that I will pass this.
    The stress was there, no doubt about it. I couldn't sleep at night, I was thinking a lot about this exam and the outcome of it. I decided that I need to have fun behind the wheel, guy sitting besides me just want to test my abilities and literally want to give me that license. My examiner was looking like a good man, I felt comfortable with him along my side. I drove through some places and in the end he gave me the exam sheet with the positive rating. I felt blessed and happy like never before. The thing is, most of my enthusiasm was burned out during my visualization sessions. I knew that I deserve this. The day before the test I was getting pumped and... I filled out the template sheet of the exam with all of the tasks perfectly completed. Guess what? I didn't made a single mistake during my little trip. Fake it till you make it. As simple as that.
    I was researching a lot of stuff about law of attraction at that time. I see it clearly now - You can ask the universe for it. It sounds stupid but it's true. I'm the living example of that. It was served to me. Everything came together perfectly. It ended up just like in my dreams. I did it.

88991s and GotCaught like this.
  15. You’re telling me you don’t want to feel the thrill of breaking speed limits?

16. BigBadWolf_27

I can't answer that question, I try to look like a well-rounded individual.

Usernameallowed likes this.
  17. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

Just wanted to say, it was great reading how you arced through your trouble. Great job man, I hope you find more dragons to slay.

18. Usernameallowed

Usernameallowed Fapstronaut

Driving can give me terrible anxiety . I used to deliver in a commercial van and lorry for multiple companies and driving in and of itself especially in built up areas can be extremely aggravating. Then parcel juggling , trying to find addresses . Terrible layouts and poor data . Everyday same shit . After a few years I through the head up. You need to have a certain temperament for that line of work .
    I'm a very impatient person and when it comes to driving it's just a flood of constant frustration. That's on me . And I'm actually a very compotent driver. Best you can do is get your test practice and get comfortable in different settings . You will become more confident in your own ability but can't say that about others . That's the problem you will be sharing the road with others , I'm a hot head so I avoid certain areas at certain times kind of thing because my blood pressure will be through the roof and won't switch off for hours even after I've stopped driving . I'm more for motorbikes tbh . Cars for me are too restrictive