1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dunkirk

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Aug 18, 2017.

1. I saw Dunkirk yesterday. I actually didn't know about it until this movie was released and I had no idea Dunkirk was in France (I always thought it was in Scotland), so yeah seeing this movie was an educational experience for me. Not only was it an education it was on the edge of your seats stuff.

I kind of knew how the story ends but at times I wasn't what was going to happen to certain characters. There were times when I wondered if some of the solders were actually Nazi solders so at times I was fearing for the heroes of the film. The director takes you down to where the characters are. As you watch it you feel like you're there with the characters. You feel like you're with the pilots in the cockpit of the spitfires and with the civilians in the pleasure boats and with the solders as they wait on the beach to be rescued and when they try to escape. You feel the despair and panic as they feel stuck. Personally, I felt utterly terrified when I saw Nazi bombers flying to where the British troops were for they were so loud and you knew that bombs would be dropped and people would die.

On the negative side at one point in the film it appears be nighttime on the French side yet on the English side it's the middle of the day. That made no sense to me since (as far as I'm aware) France and England get dark at the same time. I could be wrong about this since on IMDb it doesn't list this as a goof. Another thing is that I feel like in two senses the dialogue over explained things and honestly I expect better from a screenplay written by Christopher Nolan.

But on the positive side of this being a movie made by Nolan is that he isn't trying to make anyone a star, for him it all about telling a story. Apparently Tom Hardy is in it but I didn't know until I saw the credits, also there was someone from One Direction in it but I could tell you who he was. The only actor I noticed was Kenneth Branagh and that might be to do with the fact I saw him being interview about the film on The Late Show.

So well worth seeing I think. It should get many Oscar nominations but with it being released in the summer I doubt it will (maybe the one or two nomination).

I find the best way to remember what was done for us in WW2 is to see movies like this. For me church services or marches don't do it for me. A good WW2 film takes you from where you are and transports you to battlefield and Dunkirk does that.

Here's a veteran who was in Dunkirk talking about the movie in the video below. I find his comments on man and war to be very true.

2. Quiver

Quiver Distinguished Fapstronaut

I saw it too. Great movie. And I think the difference. between light and dark is because of the time diffence. The scene was later that day