1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Effects of Alcohol

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Pradeep, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Pradeep

Pradeep Guest

Dear friends,
    Since a week now, I am using alcohol to feel a sense of openness and freedom in the parties and clubs. I am otherwise non-smoker and non-drinker. I sense a negative effect if I carried on this way. Could you guys please advice.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2015
    Calm likes this.
  2. Foxtrot12

Foxtrot12 Fapstronaut

Hey man... each person is different... and responds differently to alcohol....

Alcohol has no ability to dis-inhibit anyone... inhibitions are socially constructed rules that we agree to... alcohol can't affect social constructions... however we often give alcohol the power to 'unlock' us from these rules...

so my advice is... try and understand what freedom you seek that you think alcohol can provide!!

Other than that... alcohol in moderation is very enjoyable... keep a few alcohol free days per week and you should be fine

Pradeep likes this.
  3. Pradeep

Pradeep Guest

You are absolutely right, I feel no inhibition after few drinks, I can dance where I want, I can talk to whom I want..I can say what I want with out any social obligations. So I take your advice :)

4. Pradeep

Pradeep Guest

My experience of Alcohol and Meditation/Yoga :
    Nearly about a decade of Yoga/Meditation practice and no exposure to alcohol in my life at all. And recently getting drunk every alternate evening in the Clubs. And 2 weeks of NO Yoga/Meditation.
    Both have similar effects, one is constructive & slow permanent change and the later is destructive/quick & momentary. Both cases your Ego becomes lesser and your real personality is seen. The "I" ness is very feeble. You become more authentic and less pretentious. You do and act things out which you would not dare to do normally, like openly talking about critical topics, talking to random people etc.
    But with Yoga/Meditation I feel enriched and fresh. But with alcohol I feel drained out and dull.
    All in all a nice experiment and experience !!

Please share your experiences or compassion !!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2015
    Thechosenone likes this.
  5. Septimus

Septimus Fapstronaut

When I was seeking out PMO regularly, I would often use alcohol to enhance my mood, to make feel less inhibited. Maybe all it was, was adding another pleasure. Or maybe to numb me. Maybe all of it. So, at one point, alcohol was part of the problem.

On the other hand, on of my strategies for giving up PMO has been to plan for, and seek out, other things I enjoy and find meaningful to take the place of PMO. I started cooking again, and I have several times planned a nice meal, for myself, with...a cocktail and or a good wine or beer. My purpose isn't to get drunk, but to enjoy the goodness of life, and to enjoy it WITHOUT PMO.

So I think alcohol can either be destructive or positive. Handle with care.

Pradeep likes this.
  6. citizen01

citizen01 Fapstronaut

I guess everyone's different, but to me alcohol is a definite trigger for PMO. It just completely disrupts my nofap 'mindset' and I end up failing nearly every time I drink...which is why I have now given up alcohol too!

Pradeep likes this.
  7. Kristian

Kristian Fapstronaut

I am a heavy drinker, currently trying to pace myself and quit. It has been a never ending battle before, but after I managed to quit PMO for almost two months (two times), I increased my alcohol intake to cope with it. Of course, I've had other issues, with my girlfriend and health problems, plus depression and alcohol numbed the pain for a while, only to destroy me harder the next day.

My advise for you: don't do it at any cost. You may try to socially drink, but that's it. Don't cope with the pain through alcohol. Trust me. I wish I never began in the first place, I really am.

ZRUB and Pradeep like this.
  8. ichabodcr

ichabodcr Fapstronaut

@Pradeep, I wouldn't indulge in this kind of experiment if I was you. Honestly, as said above, social drinking is acceptable, but should be handled with care. It has been a reason for at least one major relapse in the past for me.

Again, be careful, especially if you were not a drinker at all before starting nofap. I mean... it sounds a lot like you're filling a void left by fapping by introducing another potentially addictive behaviour, which is not a wise decision in my opinion.

Low likes this.
  9. Pradeep

Pradeep Guest

@ichabodcr, thanks for your concern, I absolutely agree with you, I must be filling the gap with something healthy and non-addictive. The last I got a little tipsy was on Saturday night (the 10th). Since then I didn't drink or I din't have the need for it... even before I din't have the need for it. Things as normal as before. Sure I will be cautious

10. ichabodcr

ichabodcr Fapstronaut

Good to hear that your approach is healthy @Pradeep, a tipple every now and then won't hurt, an habit or excessive use would, definitely. Have a great nofap day!

Pradeep likes this.
  11. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Fapstronaut

If you are struggling with PMO, then I advice you to stay away from alcohol and drugs at all.

A clear mind is the highest pleasure and a gift, it is the best road to a truly fulfilled life, so don't spoil the main engine which drives your life.

For me, alcohol simply does not work. It makes me overly emotional, makes me feel bad or angy, it recalls old emotions, etc.

Therefore, I completely stopped drinking 15 years ago ( I was around 27, then).

I actually like the taste of a good wine, but I hate the dizzy mind, so I stopped it.

I can remember that the hardest part was to split away from certain people, and to get a straight line. Drinking is very very normal in society, and there are only a few people who do not drink at all. But the good news is that there ARE some people, who do not drink. You will find them often around very successful people. So go find them. Seek for new groups around you.

I also only had girlfriends who did not drink and it was always a good choice.

BTW, I never had alcohol problems, my only addiction always was only PMO and sex.

Pradeep likes this.
  12. StarKing

StarKing Guest

A drunken start to a relationship is a dishonest start. Stay away from the grog man, it's bad

Pradeep likes this.