1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Emotional dependency

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by pantuflasdecoco, Nov 6, 2018.

1. pantuflasdecoco

pantuflasdecoco Fapstronaut

Have you ever become so emotionally dependent on another person (like a friend, not necessarily a partner) that you end up 'using' them just to talk to someone about your negative thoughts?
    That if you lose them, you feel you lose everything?

That's what is happening to me

A41:14A likes this.
  2. you need to learn to stand on your own, if you dont want to drive them away than give them space.

pantuflasdecoco likes this.
  3. Never had that feeling bit I imagine it would be untimidating. Maybe give them a bit of space. This fotum is good to help you offload some of your feelings that you struggle to talk to friends and family about

pantuflasdecoco likes this.
  4. pantuflasdecoco

pantuflasdecoco Fapstronaut

Thank you for your comments

Yes I decided to give him space and stop once and for all with my "dependent" attitude towards friendship.

What happened is that I made a friend in July and he was like the friend I always wanted. Whenever I needed to talk he was there, listening, not judging, and I always felt understood with him, something almost never happens to me with anyone. I enjoy being with him.

But I virtually didn't talk to anyone but him all this time. I closed myself to several possible friendships just because of fear. So I only had him.

And a lot of the times I meet up with him I end up talking only about how I was depressed, or angry. Like I would only seek him for that.

A couple of days ago he made me realise all this, that I said no to a lot of possible relationships without reason, and that with him I only talk about me and negative things.
    He made me realise I was so closed to everyone, and so depply angry, and so deeply scared of everything and everybody.

Now I understand individuals seek individuals. What I mean is... nobody wants someone who is not independent. No one. Nobody want a sheep, a number, someone with no personality, someone who blindly follows you, because at the end they will get bored or tired of you. So you MUST be independent, you should NEVER depend on anyone, you need to have your own life. And sure you can reach a friend when needed but you can't... use people just for that. Like a begger. You have to give something to the other person. Give at least the enjoyment of the moment.