Ever considered changing your accent?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by thescot01, Aug 20, 2020.

1. thescot01

thescot01 Fapstronaut

When I attend another place for vacation, I always feel great insecurities with my accent. I always like to dilute it to sound better.

Anyone else ever done this? Have you decided to change your accent? What have you switched it to? Discuss.

BurgerChamp likes this.
  2. crookedboots

crookedboots Fapstronaut

I recently had the same thought! I ended up realizing that the best accent to have is the one that blends with those around you, because rapport is built on similarities. So, when I'm around Americans, I emulate an American accent. Around Arabs, I emulate an Arabic accent, and around British folks, I emulate a British accent. Also, this doesn't mean that I change accents for one person that I am with, I'm mainly referring to the country or general overall environment. I used to live in Canada, so I spoke mainly in a Canadian accent to everyone no matter how they speak.

BurgerChamp likes this.
  3. WarriorofLight

WarriorofLight Fapstronaut

I find accents fun(I don't really have one normally) so I like to put on an Australian accent at work(cafe) occasionally for fun. It's only awkward when they respond with a real Australian accent and I have to pretend like I wasn't using one. But nothing so serious like the example here.

4. thinking_differently

thinking_differently Fapstronaut

Lol it’s always fun to pretend to speak in a different accent.

BurgerChamp and WarriorofLight like this.
  5. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

I actually seem to have less social anxiety when I am in a place where everyone has a different accent from me. I don't know why.

6. Masked En?gma

Masked En?gma Fapstronaut

Normally i don't care about accents and normally when i speak English i have an italian accent (Only a cuck. would change the chad accent of italy).

Anyway, when i ear an indian speaking english with an indian accent i try to not laugh because they remind me of Mobile-Scammers. Accents are a great things and is not right to lose or want lose it. It can help you to have more friends, in USA when they ear my accent they always became curious and ask where i am from, etc...from a farmer/closed minded narcisistic zone where i usually live in Europe is so beautiful, we don't have to hidden our accents guys!

7. I recently moved to Oklahoma and i'm starting to develop an accent, albeit slowly. I don't think it's something that needs to be forced, it just happens when you spend time around people who speak a certain way.

BurgerChamp likes this.
  8. I have a russian accent since im slav, i see no reason to change that accent up :emoji_sunglasses:

9. Queek The HeadTakker

Queek The HeadTakker Fapstronaut

10. Ohh yeah, foreign people comment on it a lot haha i don't hear it as sounding russian but, you know americans and british recognize it well :D

Deleted Account likes this.
  11. thinking_differently

thinking_differently Fapstronaut

So you’ve got a
    Raassiaan Akcent.
    This word always reminds me of Robbie William’s “Party Like a Russian”

12. White Wyvern

White Wyvern Fapstronaut

I'm Australian and grew a up in a really white working class suburb of Sydney in the 90s. I don't realise it but it's fairly broad. A bit like Russell Crowe. Non native English speakers have difficulty understanding me at times. My wife who is Latina always mocks my stereotypical voice.

It's sad that with the younger generation our accent seems to be dying out. Aussie kids accents are less broad and have more of an American accent now. I don't dislike the American accent at all but I like our uniqueness so it's sad we're losing it. Guess that's the same everywhere with globalisation.

13. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

I can't hear it, but other people say I have a southern US accent. Its ok with me.

White Wyvern likes this.
  14. White Wyvern

White Wyvern Fapstronaut

I heard the southern accent is dying out too being replaced by standard American English which is kinda sad. The southern accent is a cool one imo

15. White Wyvern

White Wyvern Fapstronaut

I heard the southern accent is dying out too being replaced by standard American English which is kinda sad. The southern accent is a cool one imo

16. Der Drachenkönig

Der Drachenkönig Fapstronaut

Mine is british. I never felt the need to change it, i certainly will not.

17. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

What's happening is that californians and new yorkers are moving in mass back into the cities in the south, and tbh they're messing a lot of things up, but any little town away from the bigger cities is still very southern.

White Wyvern likes this.
  18. JasonRobertson

JasonRobertson New Fapstronaut

When the accent is your natural it's much better.