1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Evolve ~Squeaky Soul's Workout Journal

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Squeaky Soul, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Squeaky Soul

Squeaky Soul Fapstronaut

Welcome,

I am a male, 6'2" tall, and 169.4 lbs. (12.1 stone).

My goal: Achieve a high level of physical fitness, strength, and reach 200 lbs. Lets face it... I am too skinny.

I'll start with what I have done today:

Started the day off with a 5 mile hike. The first 2.5 was all up hill, the next half was a breeze. I also worked on abs today. I did one hundred leg lifts and 100 sit-ups. My legs are sore from yesterday's leg workout and today's hike, and my abs are pretty dead from today.

Can I get some advice from the dudes on here that work out?

Thanks,

~Squeaky Soul

2. IGY

IGY Guest

Look, I know squeaky shit about this sort of thing, but it seems to me that your weight is fine. Obviously, you are slim but not, imo, underweight or "too skinny". You eat well and do plenty of exercise, so that is all good.

I think it is potentially confusing (possibly dangerous) to ask people here for advice that they are unqualified to give. I have seen people disagree vehemently on here with claims that the advice of others is harmful. My suggestion would be to go to a local gym and speak to a qualified fitness coach about the sort of routines that are safe and suited to your objectives. Take care man!

ronswanson likes this.
  3. It sounds like you're pretty fit. Vegetables and low-fat proteins give a ton of energy and are key to efficient muscular growth. Also doing legitimate quadricep, groin, and hamstring stretches will preserve your joints and prevent injury. And I'm not talking about two-minutes of toe-touches. I mean a legitimate 15-20 minutes of pushing your flexibility to the max. If you can't do a split or get into the praying mantis pose, you probably need to work on flexibility.

4. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

From the data you have given, your body mass index (BMI) is 21.75, which is normal. Your BMI does not indicate you are even close to being underweight.

"People whose BMI is within 18.5 to 24.9 possess the ideal amount of body weight, associated with living longest, the lowest incidence of serious illness, as well as being perceived as more physically attractive than people with BMI in higher or lower ranges."

I would agree with IGY here. It would be far safer for you to get professional advice than take advice from people on here with limited experience. Speaking to a fitness coach, or even better- a physiotherapist (who's approach is through active therapy) would be most beneficial for you.

You also mention that you want to achieve a high level of cardiovascular fitness and strength. You will not be able to achieve a high level of both of those by increasing your weight or "bulking up".

5. IGY

IGY Guest

So, "People whose BMI is within 18.5 to 24.9 [are] perceived as more physically attractive than people with BMI in higher or lower ranges." Damn, I knew there was something! :p

6. Squeaky Soul

Squeaky Soul Fapstronaut

Hello Everyone,

I am going to convince my brother to get a gym pass with me. I think that doing push-ups is only good until so far. Weights are a good option. Planet Fitness sounds good as a start. I don't approve of some of their policies, but it's a start. It's also pretty cheap, so that's good.

I didn't exercise today. Still sore from my ab workout the other day and I want to rest up. I will continue to lightly (lightly) do these exercises to keep myself conditioned so I can hit the ground running once I get to a gym.

~SQUEAKY SOUL

7. Roy838

Roy838 Fapstronaut

Hey feel free to kik me at rk838 i would love to talk about workouts! I'm pretty young but know a lot about working out through family and personal trainers

8. Squeaky Soul

Squeaky Soul Fapstronaut

Thanks Roy838, I will keep that in mind.

Yesterday I only did 155 push-ups in total. Half in the evening, half at night.

Today I plan on doing 100-200 squats, and the same amount of calf raises with a 40 lb. chain on my shoulders while doing it. Sorry Allen-o. I still haven't gotten a gym membership.

~Squeaky Soul

9. Squeaky Soul

Squeaky Soul Fapstronaut

Chest is developing, a faint outline of a six pack is visible at times, and my quads are definitely coming in.

Yesterday I did 100 push-ups for arms and pecs, for abs I did 55 sit-ups, 55 leg lifts, and for legs I did 2 sets of 8 dumbbell jumping squats, some lunges, and wide legged backward jumps.

As far as diet goes, I have been eating a lot of vegetables, but I have cut back on certain seafood and poultry or more pork - I am taking the bible diet seriously.
    I am feeling good though,

~SQUEAKY SOUL

10. Squeaky Soul

Squeaky Soul Fapstronaut

Found this dusty old journal so I'm going to honor my health and start it up again.

I recently joined a free calisthenic app call Mad Barz. It takes into account your height, weight, and body type. It comes with a lot of tough body weight workouts downloaded onto the app, which makes it a lot easier. They are pretty hard!

I'm eating a lot more to gain weight.

Today I did four cycles of an ab exercise that's called, "Tough Core":

1 Cycle of Tough Core:

*10 half burpees

*15 seconds of flutter crunches

*5 toe touch crunches

*20 crunches

*5 windshield wipers

*2 leg raises

*10 second v-hold

I have been doing each rep as slow as possible to build a lot of resistance in the muscle I'm targetting. The slower you go, the bigger the muscle.

~SS

11. Squeaky Soul

Squeaky Soul Fapstronaut

It's 1:00 a.m. Monday morning...

When I wake up, here's the plan:

Do exercises for arms and back! Specifically, Hindu push ups, pull ups, regular push ups, incline push ups, et cetera.

Update in some hours...

~SS

12. Squeaky Soul

Squeaky Soul Fapstronaut

Trapezius Routine from MadBarz:

5 Cycles-

*3 Pull ups
    *6 Hindu push ups
    *8 Contralateral limb raises
    *Decline push ups
    *4 Pike push ups

I worked out my forearms, biceps, triceps, pecs, shoulders (deltoid), and lower back.

Great workout! My pre-workout meal was some steel cut outs, a banana, and a sunny side up egg. My post workout meal was concoction of shredded chicken breast, green salsa, some minced onions, some minced garlic, salt, pepper, and a lot of cheddar sheese all on three tostadas. Gotta stock up on those carbs, proteins, and fats!!!

~Shredded Soul

13. Squeaky Soul

Squeaky Soul Fapstronaut

Yesterday I did abs. I have a faint outline of a six pack when I lay down, but I have a lot to go still... It's only been one week since I have gotten back into my workout routine. I am kind of lazy to post all the exercises that I did then. I will post my leg workout later though.

I always start feeling sick after about a week of working out. I have found out that this is the result of a loss of body fat. So, I am seeing results, but I shouldn't look forward to losing weight, because that would be bad for someone born skinny. I have started eating a meal every 3 hours to combat this.

Keep fighting!

~Squeak

14. Squeaky Soul

Squeaky Soul Fapstronaut

Yesterday's Leg Exercise:

4 Cycles

*8 Lunges (8 each leg)
    *10 Squats
    *8 Bulgarian Split squats (8 each leg)
    *4 Pistol squats (4 each leg)
    *10 Squat jumps
    *10 Calf raises (10 each leg)

I would have done box jumps, but it was late at night, and I didn't want to wake up my family.

Everyday I have been eating 1, 2, or 3 servings of steel cut oats and 2-4 sunny side up eggs a day.

~SS

15. Squeaky Soul

Squeaky Soul Fapstronaut

Back Work Out ("Diamond Pull" on MADBARZ):

1 Cycle

*3 Pull ups
    *6 Negative chin ups
    *5 Diamond push ups
    *3 Wide pull ups
    *3 Close grip chin ups
    *3 Wide chin ups

Take away: I have an extremely weak back! I was supposed to do 4 cycles of the above, but could only finish one! My back muscle have some work to do!

~SS

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  16. Squeaky Soul

Squeaky Soul Fapstronaut

I forgot to post my ab workout on Friday. It was okay....

I am starting to get muscle memory from the ab routine. I am going to have to switch it up for Tuesday and Friday.

Today was my last rest day, and tomorrow, I start again. Arms day!

~SS

17. Squeaky Soul

Squeaky Soul Fapstronaut

Alright! Making progress!!!!!!

Last time I did the Trapezius routine I did:

*16 Pull ups
    *33 Hindu push ups
    *40 Contralateral limb raises
    *26 Decline push ups
    *& 20 Pike push ups
    (All over a span of 5 cycles)

Here are my results (And progress) for today's trapezius routine!:

*12 Pull ups
    *36 Hindu push ups
    *33 Contralateral limb raises
    *32 Decline push ups
    *& 22 Pike push ups
    (All over a span of only 4 cycles... I got tired out)

I was definitely more honest with my pull ups, doing them the right way tired me out faster. I am also seeing progress in my hindu push ups, decline push ups, and in my pike push ups. It may not seem like much, but I did do more reps in one less cycle. But, the heat (90 degrees F. here in California), the honest pull ups, and the extra reps in the decline push ups, and hindu push ups wore me out!

Does anyone have any tips on what I should eat before a workout? I have been dieting. About 2 hours before a workout, I eat something high in carbs and protein. Any suggestions for more energy?

Wake up motivated, go to sleep satisfied!!!

~$queaky $oulja Booooooi

18. Squeaky Soul

Squeaky Soul Fapstronaut

I'll post my next trapezius routine as soon as I catch up nd post the results for all my last workouts!

~SS

19. IGY

IGY Guest

I don't know what most of these exercises refer to, but I am pleased to hear that you are sticking to an active routine.

You are half way to 90 days which is always a nice milestone to reach. So, keep up the hard work which will refresh your mind and body.

Best wishes on your challenge mate.

IGY ;)

20. Squeaky Soul

Squeaky Soul Fapstronaut

Thanks IGY! It's nice to know someone is reading my exercise entries here.

I am too lazy to post all of past workouts with progress reports, but if I feel up to it, maybe I'll write todays later.

I've learned that there are three components to building muscle:

1. Exercise - Working hard and breaking and tearing your muscles so they could repair themselves .
    2. Diet - Eating protein before going to bed, after waking up, stocking up on carbs before a workout, and loading up on proteins, carbs, and fats after a workout.
    3. Rest - Believe it or not, you build muscle while you're sleeping, eating and RESTING. Not while you're working out. This is the most important component. This is when your body uses the nutrients from the food you eat, and the relaxation to repair your damaged muscles... This is why muscle grows!

Without any one of these three components, you would not build muscle. If you didn't rest in between workouts, you would overtrain, and muscles wouldn't grow. If you wouldn't diet, you would not be super charged before workouts, and/or your body wouldn't have enough building blocks to repair your muscles. And, you could eat and rest all you want, but if you don't work your muscles, you're just going to get fat.

$queaky $oul