1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Excommunicated for apostasy?

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

Hey guys. I have a question I'm not sure you can answer. Somewhat recently, I looked up automatic excommunication and what can incur it. I found that "renouncing the faith" could lead to automatic excommunication. So, basically, I lapsed out of Catholicism and became an agnostic then finally an atheist for a few years. I lived as an atheist, I proclaimed my atheism, I was an atheist. More recently, I decided I wanted to rejoin the church and I've been going to church, I've received confession a couple times, and even received communion. The first time I went to confession I confessed that I was an atheist for a while and the priest asked me about it during the counseling portion of the confession. I just told him that I had repented and he seemed okay with that. But, now I'm worried that I've been automatically excommunicated. It's important to note that for most of the time i was an atheist I didn't know it was an offense subject to excommunication, though I may have persisted a while even after finding out. Anyway, I'd really like to know if I've been excommunicated. What do you guys think?

2. LetsBeLovely87

LetsBeLovely87 Fapstronaut

Confession with repent retire the excomunication

jarvyjarvison likes this.
  3. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

Well, I've been doing more research and it turns out the priest has to be empowered by a bishop to lift the excommunication. This can be delegated as a blanket authority by the bishop or it can be done on a case by case basis. I can only trust the priest had the authority to lift my excommunication (if I really was excommunicated to begin with). In any event, I'll be heading to confession on Saturday. I'm wondering though, guys, should I bring this up right after I enter the confessional or during the actual confession? What do you guys think?

Hero25 likes this.
  4. As explained by the Pontifical Council for Legislative Texts:

"3. ... [H]eresy (whether formal or material), schism and apostasy do not in themselves constitute a formal act of defection if they are not externally concretized and manifested to the ecclesiastical authority in the required manner.

4. The defection must be a valid juridical act, placed by a person who is canonically capable and in conformity with the canonical norms that regulate such matters (cfr. cann.124-126). Such an act must be taken personally, consciously and freely.

5. It is required, moreover, that the act be manifested by the interested party in written form, before the competent authority of the Catholic Church: the Ordinary or proper pastor, who is uniquely qualified to make the judgment concerning the existence or non-existence of the act of the will as described above in n. 2.

Consequently, only the convergence of the two elements — the theological content of the interior act and its manifestation in the manner defined above — constitutes the actus formalis defectionis ab Ecclesia catholica, with the corresponding canonical penalties (cfr. can. 1364, § 1)." (Emphasis mine).

It does not sound from your story like this was present in your case. Furthermore, you confessed your period of atheism to the priest. It is safe to presume that he took all of your circumstances into consideration when granting you absolution, and that if he thought that an excommunication needed to be lifted, he would have informed you and led you through that process himself.

If you have further questions about your case, you can certainly seek further counsel from a priest in person, either in confession or outside of it (if Saturday confessions at your parish are packed, however, it might be safer to ask for a separate appointment, even if it is still in the confessional to keep anonymity, so as to ensure that you would have the proper time to deal with the matter). Asking for a more concrete answer to your case on an online forum goes beyond the scope of the kind of help that can be safely provided through such means, in my opinion.

As an aside, it is correct that excommunicable offenses cannot be lifted by priests, except for that incurred through abortion. Others may be lifted by the Bishop, and in such cases the priest would ask the penitent to return in one month to give him time to present the matter to the Bishop (while keeping the anonymity of the penitent intact) and obtain the lifting of the excommunication. There are a few offenses that can only be lifted by the Apostolic See. Yet during the Year of Mercy, certain priests -were- given the authority to cover the other offenses, which was then extended to these priests indefinitely on the last day of that liturgical year. Hence, anybody needing any type of excommunication to be lifted can do so with greater ease nowadays. Again, if anyone has any questions about their given case, a private consultation with a priest is the safe way to go.

Good reads for any further clarifications regarding this topic in general:
    Onward unto God!
    Pax

5. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

So, basically, I would have had to declare my atheism in writing and made it known to the church? Am I reading that right? I'm pretty sure I'd made posts online about my atheism; does that count?

Yeah, he asked me a few questions about mitigating circumstances.

I've always been nervous about asking for an appointment because I'm nervous about confessing face-to-face. I was unaware that you can ask for an appointment in the confessional. That's a relief.

Anyway, thank you for your advice. I feel a little better.

6. It does not. It must be written and presented by the individual to the competent ecclesial authority (priest or Bishop), who must then personally examine the request so as to decree whether there is truly an act of the will present. This would usually involve a meeting with the individual. If after all this it is deemed that the person's formal act of apostasy is a true personal act (that is, done knowingly and willingly and with the requisite freedom), it would be annotated in the person's baptismal certificate. And even THEN the Baptismal Bond would remain in place.

A post on an online forum does not constitute such a formal act, especially if done under a fictitious name/avatar.

Breathe easily, brother! Our Lord plays the long game. Welcome back to the embrace of Mother Church.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  7. I'm 90% sure converting from Atheist to Catholic is much more easier than converting from Catholic from Atheist to Catholic again.

8. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

Okay, so what you're saying is if I want the automatic excommunication lifted, I must present my request to have it lifted to the priest or Bishop. I thought you were saying the apostasy itself must be done in written form (for example, writing "I am an atheist.") Am I getting that right?

I'll try and rest easy with the knowledge that I did confess the sin to the priest. I guess my main concern is that it was mixed in with a list of sins a mile long and there were other people waiting to get in the confessional so I don't know if it got the attention it deserved. Do you guys think I'm being reasonable or am I being scrupulous? I think I'm being scrupulous but I really don't want to go to hell.

One more thing: annotation on my baptismal certificate? My mom will not be happy about that.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  9. Sorry for beimg unclear. I was referring to the apostacy itself. That's what needs to be written and presented to the proper ecclesial authority. As I see it, there is no excommunication at all that needs to be lifted. Conditions were not met from what you presented.

JoeinMD likes this.