1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Exercise during recovery?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Daredevil99, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Daredevil99

Daredevil99 Fapstronaut

Guys trying to build up a bit and I did a workout last tuesday for bicep's but my right arm still doesn't feel fully repaired and can't put it fully straight shall I do a workout this week I was going to do it today but will he Wednesday now ? What do you guys suggest as I don't want to hurt the muscle If it's not repaired yet

2. Guybrushgood

Guybrushgood Fapstronaut

Hi dare! Try not do anything with your arm, listen your body thats is telling you, hey! Im damege, stop, lemme fade the hurting away.

3. strggl

strggl Fapstronaut

Did you do exercises just for biceps and no other muscles? If you did other muscle too, do they hurt as well? Is it both biceps or just one arm?

4. If you've injured yourself, then don't work out the affected muscles.

If the muscles are just really sore though, you SHOULD work out. That's just DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and has nothing to do with you repairing your muscles. Muscle protein synthesis primarily occurs in the first 36 hours after working out a muscle, and so as long as you didn't hit biceps yesterday, you're free to hit them again today for optimal growth. How sore you are has nothing to do with how much muscle growth you're getting or when your muscles have finished repairing. DOMS usually occurs when you do a new exercise or switch routines or take a break for a few days and then hit a muscle again - it has nothing to do with the actual muscle repair.

With DOMS working out the muscles in question will actually help get rid of the soreness. It might feel like it'll be hard to work out with the soreness, but try it, you'll be surprised!

Supermarron likes this.
  5. lamstronger

lamstronger Fapstronaut

Do a different workout, for example triceps/chest/shoulders or legs, since biceps won't be involved. Don't overtrain too.

Supermarron likes this.
  6. Superadders

Superadders Fapstronaut

Generally speaking allow 48 hours for a muscle group to recover. Never work out a muscle group on consecutive days.

Looks like your bicep is taking a surprisingly long time to recover. DOMS shouldnt be 7 days. Dont forget stretching, rest and of course diet. Listen to your body and train the arms if its not too painful.

7. Mavricko

Mavricko Fapstronaut

rest a few days and get plenty of sleep

8. If you're that sore and it hurts, you either worked out really hard or you just started working out. If the latter, it's o my the beginning and you won't be as sore in the future. Just let it rest and maybe massage it a little. Rest and balanced meal, it'll be okay

9. MrW

MrW Fapstronaut

Some good answers here - remember when you work out vary the muscle groups on consecutive days and allow at least one rest day.

I did a 47 min run yesterday (longest I've done for many years) and boy do I feel it in my quad tendons and the associated muscles. Will just rest over the weekend and put in another 5 mile circuit on Monday.

Meantime I'm doing push ups which doesn't impact my legs.