1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Exercise help

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by BennyLow78, Jun 18, 2016.

1. BennyLow78

BennyLow78 Fapstronaut

Hey, I'm Ben.
    I've just started going to the gym, I want to lose weight and get quite fit, as well as lose this addiction:) I'm doing well on cardio, and have figured out what's the best weight on the resistance machines. I go swimming and walking whenever I can also.

However now I have 3 main issues. Wondered if anyone can help here?

Shin splints
    I only get them when running, but as I'm sure you know, they hurt, really hurt. Haha. So is there anything I can do for these?

Stretches
    I am surprisingly flexible. Weird huh? So when I try to stretch, I feel nothing. It feels like I'm just doing a normal activity, no stretching sensation or anything. Any advice?

Posture
    I feel like this is the last main issue I have with regards to fitness. I am at uni and study a lot, which means I have terrible posture. I want to have a straight spine, but not too sure how to get it. What have people done?

Any help would be appreciated. o_O

2. funkycedars

funkycedars Fapstronaut

regards posture, try to find ways to study standing up. see if any of the other students have their study spot set up where they are not looking down all the time. your body will follow your eyes...in many ways.

3. silenteagle

silenteagle Fapstronaut

Adding to @funkycedars..I think you should do some form of back exercises..(pullups maybe) to increase your core and back strength.

funkycedars likes this.
  4. BennyLow78

BennyLow78 Fapstronaut

Cheers guys. I hope that sorts out my posture. I'm 1/2 an inch under 6 ft, and when I stand straight, I clear it. So it would be nice to have that extra height without purposely and constantly thinking about it.:)

Still struggling with the other two though. Especially the shin splints. They completely stop me from running, which is a shame as I quite like that.

5. With posture the first thing is you need to identify the posture problem you have. Try to find the ones that match the issues you have, then you can take one of two routes:

Route A) Just search for stretches to help fix that postural problem. This works well but sometimes you'll just get the same one or two exercises suggested over and over.

Route B) Read up/look up the cause of the postural problem. For example, I have anterior pelvic tilt (hips tilted forward, causing my stomach to protrude out a little and my spine to bend sort of like this bracket ) - and the main cause is tightness in the hip flexor muscle. So, knowing that, I can just search for "hip flexor stretches" and any of those help.

With regards to stretches that aren't designed to fix posture - try out some Yoga asanas. Some of them are quite simple if you're already very flexible, but others are challenging even for those with years of experience - so I'm sure you'll find plenty to challenge you there and even further increase your flexibility.

6. BennyLow78

BennyLow78 Fapstronaut

cheers. i'll have a look around for some stretches to help. :)