1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Exercise helps me

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Trying_to_Quit1, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Trying_to_Quit1

Trying_to_Quit1 Fapstronaut

I have spent about six weeks doing cardio exercise. When I started, I could barely get through 10 minutes from jogging slowly on the treadmill. Now I jog 5 miles an hour at an incline of 2.0 for between 20 and 30 minutes. Depending on the day.

I did start the exercise program before I became interested in this site, but I find that exercise is a good way to relieve stress, and makes my success in this program more likely. It gets me out of the house every day, as I have a job where I work remotely. Part of my problem is having too much time on my hands, as I only work 15 hours a week, and so I have a lot of time for PMO.

Going to the gym every day and feeding off the energy that is there has actually really motivated me to want to improve myself in other areas of my life. Giving up PMO and also exercising seem to go hand-in-hand. I tried weightlifting recently, but I injured myself the first time and was out of the gym for a week. I'm back now, but only doing cardio exercise. I will start doing weights probably next week. I just need to get to the point where I can do it safely.

I have read a lot on this site that exercise helps people with their addictive processes. I would love to hear more about what people do to exercise and effort to give up PMO, and also to just improve in general. Meditation is something that I'm very interested in, and I used to meditate a lot. I want to get back to that, but sometimes it is hard, not to find the time, but just to force myself to do it. I used to love to meditate, and now I find it is more of a chore than anything else. But just like exercise was difficult at first, and became easier, I believe meditation but also become easier with time.

220woof671 and Anonymous86 like this.
  2. 220woof671

220woof671 Fapstronaut

EXERCISE IS A VERY GOOD IDEA !!!

Here are some more options [kind of long... but pick and choose what you like]:
    https://inspiyr.com/tips-to-reduce-stress/

Ways You Can Reduce Stress
    1. Do yoga
    I know you have all heard this before…but it really does work! And in today’s world, you don’t have to go far to find a yoga class that meets you where you are.

An hour of yoga done a couple of times a week will help you in all kinds of ways especially when it comes to boosting your immune system, improving the quality of your sleep, quieting your mind, and managing stress.

2. Meditate
    Meditation does wonders for the brain and improves focus, concentration, mental clarity, memory, and mood. Even if you only do this a few minutes each day you will notice positive results.

There are numerous ways to meditate, either by yourself or in a group setting. Classes are often offered at spiritual retreats, churches, holistic health centers, wellness clinics, and the like.

3. Laugh
    That’s right. Get your belly-shaking Buddha laugh going. I mean, really let it out.

The therapeutic benefits of laughter are infinite. Laughing releases chemicals in the brain which stimulate the sensory experience of “feeling good.” This elevates your mood.

Related: Laughing Is Good For You…Here Are 5 Reasons Why

4. Play with animals or children
    This is one we should all do more often. Among other things it helps to give us perspective. Playing, like laughing, also releases chemicals in the brain which help to elevate mood, stimulates the release of endorphins (which we experience during exercise), and the exertion can also be a great discharge of stored energy.

Besides, kids and animals tend to bring out the best in us!

Related: 6 Health Benefits Of Pets

5. Steer clear of simple sugars and stimulants like coffee
    This is a vicious cycle. Our culture has made it way too easy and accessible for us to overdose on caffeine and other stimulants.

The more we consume these substances, the more we are susceptible to stress. It is a real bummer, but it’s true. Stay away from them and watch what happens.

6. Get plenty of quality, restorative sleep
    Sleep helps us to recalibrate and recharges the brain. Though the mind remains active during sleep, it gets to take a load off, so to speak.

Related: How To Sleep Better In 4 Steps

Commit to making your bedroom a place where only sleep and intimacy happens. A dark, clean, quiet, tidy, and comfortable environment will maximize your time in the sack. When you wake, you should feel energized and ready to face the day.

7. Eat a plant-based, whole foods diet
    Healthy eating makes for a healthy mind. Also, it’s important to eliminate processed foods at all costs. Buy organic or at least items on the safe list and choose non-GMO foods. You’ll feel the stress start to melt away!

8. Bond with friends and family
    Our friends and family will always be there for us when we’re stressed, and more social interaction with people we care about will help to lower the stress of even the most introverted folks. Establish a sense of community and get support from loved ones.

9. Spend time outdoors and exercise regularly
    Vitamin D is essential, and a well conditioned body adapts more easily to an ever changing environment. Get out there and get your body moving. Soak in the sunlight (but make sure you’re protected with SPF). The vitamin D from the sun and the endorphins from the exercise will help you lower your distress.

10. Simplify your life as much as possible
    De-clutter. There is something therapeutic about downsizing. Keeping things neat, tidy, and organized not only helps you to find whatever you are looking for more easily, but it helps to lower anxiety, it is safer, makes for great feng shui, is energizing, and lends itself to greater periods of creativity and productivity.

3. Trying_to_Quit1

Trying_to_Quit1 Fapstronaut

This is a wonderful post with some excellent ideas. I will be going to the gym shortly today. I also need to be cluttered. That will be very important to me.