1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Extreme anxiety about going back to school

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Kai101, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Kai101

Kai101 Fapstronaut

Hey guys. As the title says, I'm extremely nervous about going back to school. I'm returning in 6 days and I'll be in 11th grade. I've always been extremely nervous about going back to school after any break, even the weekends. This is because I have an extreme social phobia. I want to go to a therapist, and my mom is willing to but does not have insurance at the moment.

Anyway, I have a moderate stutter that gets considerably worse when I'm nervous. It not the kind where you repeat sounds ur words, but where the words get stuck in your throat and you can't get them out. I was born three months premature at 1.5 lbs. Because of this I had to go to speech therapy. I thought I was food for a while, but then in 5th grade it came back with a vengeance. The only other repercussions of my premature birth are asthma and anxiety/depression.

Because of my stutter, my social anxietu has gotten much worse. I'm having suicidal thoughts and at times would rather die than go back to school. I know this sounds extreme, and I know I'm overreacting, but I can't help it. I have no friends at school. I can't even talk to people I know and say what I want to say to them due to my stutter. I am very soft spoken and can't say all that I want to say. I have panic attacks and cry during or before giving presentations. I can't even say my name without stuttering.

Enough of the pity party ha ha. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone out there could give me advice on how to overcome this. I want to make friends and have a good time at school. If you made it this far, thank you.

2. thechillest

thechillest New Fapstronaut

Well I know two friends of friends that have pretty severe stutters that are very social people. Most people as you get older really dont care at all.

I'm not convinced that your pre-mature birth caused anxiety/depression. I've experienced depression to some extent myself. When I was about your age I would just lie down on my bed for days fantasizing about a better life, and I didnt realize I was addicted to fantasizing. By the way, theres this good movie you might like called "The Secret life of Walter Mitty" which is related to extreme fantasizing and exploring life. Things generally got better for me but took a lot of time. From Grade 11 till now, I smoked sooooo much weed, drank way to much, and done drugs I never should have and am trying to get clean from now. One thing you can be happy about is your 208 days! Congrats Dude! Im 22 and the longest streak I had in the last 5 years is 14 days..

Oh and last thing, about making friends at school. I had a lot of friends and cliques that I hung out with. In high school, most of the people that I know that were friends then, dont hang out anymore. Probably a good 70% of them. Try to make quality friends, and talk to the "weird kids", they can very funny and nice. Dont enter conversations to achieve something, just talk to people for fun, mention jokes, ask about their day, etc. Just my thoughts, hope they help!

3. Kai101

Kai101 Fapstronaut

Thanks. That did help

4. TheManDude

TheManDude Fapstronaut

I don't know if this sounds rude or that i'm apathetic to your situation but over the years I've found that the best way to deal with people in general is to not give a shit, about what they think, say or do as long as they don't mess with you... Is difficult at the begining but just like confidence the more you do it the easier it gets.

It's just my way of dealing with those types of situations so I'd be glad if you share your opinion about that, hope that helps man!

Kai101 likes this.
  5. Kai101

Kai101 Fapstronaut

Thanks. That's the mindset I want to have

TheManDude likes this.
  6. TheManDude

TheManDude Fapstronaut

Good, it takes some time but you'll get there... maybe taking everything with some humour can help, I've began doing that recently and it's been working quite.

Good luck dude! Keep us on touch on how everything goes if that helps.

Kai101 likes this.
  7. Kai101

Kai101 Fapstronaut

Sure thing. I'd be happy to

8. Jason_Tesla_19

Jason_Tesla_19 Fapstronaut

How are you at singing? Is it something you could practice? It uses different brain circuits, but exercises your speech muscles. Maybe the muscle memory will help? Plus it might boost your confidence and help you relax, reducing your issues.

Kai101 likes this.
  9. Kai101

Kai101 Fapstronaut

I love to sing. I'm not sure how good I am at it lol

Jason_Tesla_19 likes this.
  10. Vedas_fr

Vedas_fr Fapstronaut

I kind of get what you are going through.
    I have 3 things to say to you : you will have to understand and resolve your own problems by yourself. This will require a lot of work and questioning.
    Second thing is that if you are afraid, nervous, you probably have a lot of body and mental imbalance that requires fixing. You need to work on mental and physical balance. Everyday.
    Last but not least, if things are too unbearable for you you might want to consider taking a path adapted for you, that would allow slow progress. Like schooling at home, etc... You canno't overcome too many obstacles at once. For people like you, i recommend taking many years to find inner balance, and chose a carreer that will suit your temper.

Kai101 likes this.