1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Extreme Physical Training (Marathon Training + Weights)

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by The Young Explorer, Feb 9, 2022.

1. The Young Explorer

The Young Explorer Fapstronaut

Hey,

So I wanted to write about my current programme for physical training during NoFap as part of my "Monk Mode Programme" to completely reinvent myself. (Currently on a 5 day streak) It's pretty intense or at least it feels that way since I'm sitting in bed writing this now absolutely wrecked after the day.

So I'm running a marathon on the 24th of April. I have a background in running although I haven't trained seriously for about three years. I had a decent cardio base going into this but I have a long way to go in order to achieve my goal of breaking 4 hours on the big day.

My secondary goal is also to lose most of my excess fat and get down to a low body fat percentage of 10% - 12%. I have some developed musculature already since I've been working out for over a year now although I haven't really stuck to a consistent programme. I'm 5' 7 tall and currently weigh 160lbs and my body fat percentage has never been below 18%. I've tried to lean out many times but have always failed. I'm hoping that the cardio heavy long distance training programme will help me achieve that.

My goal is to try and be a long distance runner with decently muscular physique. This is notoriously difficult to achieve but I draw inspiration from ultra-runners like David Goggins, Cameron Hanes and Nick Bare known for their aesthetic physiques despite being long distance runners.

(I'm not particularly interested in the debate as to whether or not these men use TRT and frankly even if they are on TRT (and I would bet money that Goggins isn't) It's still highly impressive that they've managed to have the physiques that they have given massive volume of cardio they all do and if I could achieve half of that without TRT I'd be satisfied).

The crux of my programme is that I train 5 days a week, Monday to Friday. In the mornings I have my marathon training, a run that is between 10km and 15km at the moment and that will increase as the weeks progress. In the evenings I have an hour and a half of weight training. I do a full body workout every training day. I'm hitting all the muscle groups required for an aesthetic physique. Upper back, chest, upper chest, biceps, front delts, medial delts, rear delts, triceps, abs. I don't train legs with weights. I do four sets per muscle with a medium range of reps (6-12). I do all this five days a week and I do absolutely nothing on the weekends to ensure adequate recovery.

At the moment I'm not counting calories but I know my deficit is pretty substantial. I try to consume more protein than I need to make sure I'm getting enough. I'm trying to go heavy on fats and meats and lower on the carbs and I have a protein shake with every meal.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or general views on what I'm trying to achieve here. Essentially I want to lean out while maintaining as much of my muscle as possible. Body recomposition essentially. I know that trying to gain mass under these conditions is futile and that's not my goal.

It's a pretty difficult programme in terms of my energy levels and the physical work required but I'm pretty well motivated and enjoying the hard work so far.

2. I would encourage you to check out Kris Gethin Man of Iron. A brief summary is that it's a body builder's plan to complete an ironman. It might give you ideas on the best way to structure your training program and nutrition.

The Young Explorer likes this.
  3. trylifeagain

trylifeagain Fapstronaut

Congrats on your new venture. I have a similar goal for the year, however my marathon will be at the end of September. I'm currently 5'9 and 211 lbs. Quite muscular and meaty. Used to wrestle and grapple, so dropping weight isn't that hard for me, for sure. Ideally I'd like to be running the marathon at 160-170. Wishing you luck. Keep posting your progress.

4. shamrock19

shamrock19 Fapstronaut

For cutting weight I’ve always found fasting to be my secret weapon . It also allows me to pretty much eat whatever I want within that eating window as it’s so damn hard to go over the top with the calories . Of course your processed sugars and what not should always be kept at a minimum