1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

False Awakenings

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Dexter Moran, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Hi comrades,
    have any of you ever experienced false awakenings? By which I mean do you think you are up and about when you are actually still sleeping! This is a recurring problem for me. It has been exacerbated by my resumption of taking antidepressants. I have done some research and it has happened to people coming out of a general anesthetic. One patient counted ten such "false awakenings." This happened after he had an operation. I had five this morning and four two days ago. I find it terrifying!
    I also suffer from sleep paralysis. Where I am neither awake or asleep. But, I can't move. Then I become aware of an evil presence in my bedroom. I then feel as if someone is attacking me physically and sexually. In fact I have experienced such attacks for the last twenty years. But they have become more frequent. In folklore such supernatural creatures were known as Sucubi. These were female demons who had sexual intercourse with sleeping men. Their male counterparts were known as incubi. Who attacked women when they were sleeping in order to have sexual relations with them.
    I believe in a more rational explanation. Yet I am in dire need of a remedy. I read somewhere about a mental exercise that can bring you to a full and real awakening. But I have been unable to re-discover the source material. Please advise.

Thank you!

thinking_differently likes this.
  2. thinking_differently

thinking_differently Fapstronaut

While you can pray to the Lord,
    You may try:

1. Physically, best thing would be to relax and try to go back to sleep. The more you try to move, the scarier it may get.
    2. You may pray in your waking hours, but I would not recommend doing that when you can’t move, as that would mentally terrify you further.
    3. Be in your routine sleep cycle. This could happen if you’re waking too early in sleep. That’s why I recommend reading the link below.

Just know that it happens to people, and isn’t something Completely Abnormal.

You may try reading about the biology of Sleep Paralysis if it helps you.
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/295039

Stay calm buddy, you will be fine.
    Good Luck! :)

Edit: Believing in Folklores will further scare you.
    If you believe rational explanations, it’s less likely to scare you since you understand the phenomenon.

3. Yup.

I used to experience sleep paralysis and sometimes other weird stuff (I was a kid, so idk if it was sexual), and I was physically very weak and had lots of deficiencies due to not eating enough. After starting playing with a soccer team, and starting regular fitness training, I didn't get them anymore.

I have no clue what exactly helped me tho. I like to think that it was better nutrition and activity that helped me get rid of this. (Also, playing with a team helped me stick to a timetable where I ate and slept in a regular manner so that might have been the key element as well.)

4. Hi all,
    thank you for responding. I am continuing to have false awakenings. But, I have had no sleep paralysis in the last few days. One of my false awakenings was akin to a wet dream.
    I did not ejaculate however. I have only ejaculated once in the last 9 months. I believe this is due to my health issues and the medication I take. Apart from this and my involvement with NoFap another reason for abstaining from PMO is present.
    Prior, to my current run of being PMO free, it was getting more and more difficult to come while fapping. I require ever increasing explicit material to do so! This and my level of exertion left me exhausted and on the brink of a nervous collapse. I became very jittery and viewed every day as torture. This has abated greatly but some part of me still wants to PMO.

I will continue to seek ways to overcome this. Both in my waking hours and while in a half asleep state. It will require both imagination and dedication. I dare not tire of the task!

5. thinking_differently

thinking_differently Fapstronaut

Oh you’re on Medication!
    That could be a contributing factor to the Sleep Paralysis. Have you talked to your doctor?

6. Hi pal,
    yes I have. But for now I must stay on the same level of medication. Frankly I'm terrified to come off the antidepressants. Because I may once again relapse into PMO addiction!

7. Hi all,
    I have had waking nightmares for the last three nights. They have grew in intensity and terror each time. Last night I dreamt that I was pulling out all my teeth. It was very bloody and I was being pursued by murderous gangsters while doing so. The night before that, I dreamt, I killed my brother in a foolish quarrel. On the first night of this cycle I had a nightmare during which I was dying. This was due to my various health issues. While this was happening my deceased mother held my hand.
    I was being operated, more like being exorcised, on by surgeons using primitive methods. All while a horrible incantation was going on. I woke up eventually with a very dry mouth. I believe that there is a number of reasons for these nightmares. Firstly the medication, combined with my obesity, I take makes me tired all the time. This makes me oversleep while my body thinks I should be up and about.

Secondly due to nocturnal teeth grinding my dentist has me wear a splint. This protect my teeth. I also wear a CPAP mask for sleep apnea. I wore it last for the first time in a week. On hot nights I can't sleep with it on. But I keep wakening up if I don't wear it. I slept for a few hours during daylight today. I had done some manual labor which left me very tired. I'm dreading going to bed tonight. Any advice or alternative theories would be welcome.

Good luck everyone!