1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic guide to success in our Nofap community

Discussion in 'New to NoFap' started by aussieguy, Dec 21, 2017.

1. aussieguy

aussieguy Fapstronaut

Hi newbie,

I wish I had read this wonderful post by @Arohamystic when I first arrived. Kudos to him, I just copy pasted.

A guide to success in our community. Code of behaviour.

1. Make your success a priority. There is no point in trying to help others if they are going to pull you down. If you feel as though you are getting pulled down by someone, leave them. Your recovery is most important.

2. Hang around the ‘good guys’. By this, I mean the people who are committed to their growth as well as the growth of others. A ‘good guy’ usually:
    • has a journal in which they reflect on their nofap journey, analysing how they can improve themselves
    • provides genuine and solid encouragement to other members
    • is liked and respected by others in the community
    • likes to keep things out in the open as opposed to wanting private chats all the time.
    3. Keep away from the ‘bad guys’. I’m hesitant to use the term ‘bad guys’; however, in my experience there are some (not many) people who are not here for recovery. A ‘bad guy’ usually:
    • has an account that consists solely of requests for APs
    • wants to private message rather than chat on an open forum
    • claims that he has the same problem as you, and has all the solutions to deal with it
    • tries to get you to communicate with him on a third-party app like Skype, KiK, or Whatsapp
    • wants to talk about the problem itself, rather than solutions to the problem
    4. Keep communicating. Use your profile as a hub to post your reflections and ideas. Comment on the ideas of others that inspire you. Focus on inspiration.

5. Have a trial period before you let others in your life. I have quite a few nofap friends who I communicate with on Whatsapp. It is no problem because I became friends with them first on the main site. I knew I could trust them before I gave them my personal details.

6. Just because someone says they are a ‘Christian’ doesn’t mean they have the same moral compass as you. The same applies for other religions or groups.

7. Don’t get caught up in frivolous conversation. By frivolous I mean conversation that can trigger, conversation that focuses on PMO, rather than on ways to deal with PMO. Be solutions focused.

8. Report any inappropriate behavior.

J. Fylz and Arohamystic like this.
  2. J. Fylz

J. Fylz Fapstronaut

Wow!! These are definitely worth a read! So often we just gravitate towards those who say that they are working towards the same goal but have alterer motivates.

This site is fantastic at allowing us to connect with others and share intimate areas of growth and struggling points in our journey. It does also leave us open to backsliding into old habits of dependency and sexualized conversations.

When it comes down to it...we are all learning how to be the best version of ourselves. This challenge is long standing and requires constant vigilance and honesty....not just in our own daily observations of ourselves but also from those that we are interacting with!

Thank you @aussieguy for sharing and @Arohamystic

Arohamystic likes this.