1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Fear of girls

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by FirstBorn93, Jun 8, 2019.

1. FirstBorn93

FirstBorn93 Fapstronaut

Girls , girls , girls... for many of us they are a huge issue in life and a desire at the same time.
    Since i was a kid i was pretty shy , although im a great listener and people easily open to me which made girls talk to me a lot but i never had the courage to ask them out or show my interest in them.
    I consider myself as a good looking guy , groomed and in shape and im happy with my looks.
    The issue is inexperience and a lack of confidence as im sure a lot of you are having the same problem.
    Throughout life i had many girls talk to me in clubs , bars , on the street and clearly displaying interest in me and wanting me to make a move , but i never did.
    Everytime that happened i just got more shy and kind of awkward and basically froze.
    The fear of hitting on girls started at a certain age and the fact that i didn't act up on it made me even more afraid and it became worse with time.
    It's very hard for me to hit on girls , when i do im super awkward and i overthink what im saying or how im acting and its a mess.
    When girls hit on me its the same , so it again throws them off.
    Im only 25 , im not old but still sucks that up to this point because of my fear i haven't had a girlfriend or any sexual or intimiate relationships (i had sex but they were prostitues and the only 2 girls i sort of "dated" cut off any ties with me less than a month because it doesnt work out).
    Today i was with 2 friends of mine , both of them are very good with girls.
    One of them knew a girl and she came with 2 friends so we were 3 guys and 3 girls , perfect!
    1 guy was with the girl he knew before so that left me and my friend with the 2 girls.
    He's already experienced and frankly having lots of sex and girls , he was talking smoothly and making them laugh and getting all the attention while i was at the side overthinking not knowing what to say or how to act and feeling awkward and then i thought they can probably tell im awkward and it just got worse lol.
    They left pretty quick , he got a number and i didn't.
    I don't hate on him or blame him for once second , it makes sense that he will get attention if he's talking , cracking jokes and actually making something happen.
    How do i snap out of it? I had a few times (about 2-3) in my life where i was in the "zone" and i was acting and talking so smooth with girls that it felt so easy and they absolutely loved me.
    How do i just let myself go and be in the moment? stop the overthinking and awkwardness?

2. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Humor, making something happen, going after what you want, talking, expressing yourself, relationships... all these things require risk.

Overthinking is basically being overly concerned with the possibility of failure. Being excessively careful not to get rejected. Being overly cautious not to make mistakes. Whenever an opportunity comes up, you hesitate because you don't want to take action unless there's a guarantee of success. You freeze because you think that's more comfortable and safe than doing something that's uncertain and risky.

You can't get good at something without first allowing yourself to be bad at it. Repeated courage (to go after what you want / try new things / practice certain aspects / take risks / do something that might not work) eventually leads to competence. Repeated competence eventually leads to confidence. What you want is to skip that process and become magically competent and confident. So you don't try and you don't take risks because there's no guarantees. You don't want to fail. You don't want to look bad. You can't handle the possibility of pain, problems, and negative experiences. That's why you haven't acquired the skills that you want to become competent at.

You believe that if you overthink enough, you'll be able to avoid the possibility of things not going your way.... and you're right.... because you don't take a risk and nothing happens. You play not to lose. You don't lose anything, but you also don't win anything. You stay comfortable and safe.

If you want to improve your humor, you have to risk saying things that aren't funny to others. If you want to get better at conversations, you have to risk running out of things to say or saying the wrong things. If you want to create relationships, you have to risk things falling apart. If you want to go after what you want, you have to risk not getting what you want.

The more risks you take, the more you'll fail, but also the more you'll succeed. The less risks you take, the less you'll fail, but also the less you'll succeed.

So your problem isn't that you're awkward (everyone starts out awkward / incompetent / insecure at something outside their comfort zone and experience). Your problem is that you don't allow yourself to learn and gain the necessary experience because you value short term emotions (avoiding anything that could cause you pain / problems / negative experiences) over long term outcomes. You value comfort now (avoiding these risks) and allowing things to be uncomfortable later on (where you are now) over being uncomfortable now (taking risks / trying new things / gaining experience) and being comfortable later on (being competent and confident at something you've been trying to develop).

Deleted Account and Infrasapiens like this.