1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Fear of not being able to help close friends and family

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by rubberguard2, Jun 25, 2021.

1. rubberguard2

rubberguard2 New Fapstronaut

Not exactly sure where to post this anywhere on the internet, but I'd figure I'd try here.

I've been doing martial arts my entire life and have gotten pretty good at fighting over the years. Although never being in an actual street fight, I have won first in many tournaments and competitions. However, despite all this I still fear nervous when walking around with close family or friends. More specifically, I get nervous when walking with a girl or older person. For some reason I feel that they are seen as easy targets and therefore more likely to be attacked somehow, even when I'm standing next to them. I guess my fear lies in the fact that if we do get attacked, what would happen if I fail to defend them?

I should also point out that I can walk through the majority of areas by myself with complete confidence, but as soon as somebody who isn't athletic or strong is with me, I feel like my main focus is to protect them. Maybe my mood shifts to being constantly on edge has effected their emotions to the point where we are both constantly on edge. Again its only like this with "weaker" people, when I'm with a more athletic group of friends, I know that we either won't get attacked or would have no problem running away.

My question is, is there any way to remove this feeling in my gut? The majority of times in which I go into defense mode we are in a fine and fairly safe area. I just want to be able to relax with whoever I'm with without having to fear the worst constantly.

Thanks for any responses.