1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Finding good exercise balance

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by LOSEmyselftoSAVEmyself, Apr 24, 2020.

1. I feel that a complete exercise routine should have some cardio, some weight training, and some yoga that is partially meditative.

The yoga I do covers most of that, but I'd like to get cut with more weights.

And also, I like to do cardio, my favorite is to run/jog, with some sprinting as part of the run course. Also, I like the elliptical and am not opposed to biking outdoors either.

But all of this takes a lot of time, which is scarce. Earlier this year, I got in the chaser, and life wasn't so great, so I got demotivated and gained some of my weight back.

Then I tried to restart some cardio and yoga, and my diet, but within 2 weeks, and far short of my goal, I messed up my knee, an ankle and developed plantar fasciitis, which still has not healed.

I went back to yoga and weights, but I felt like missing cardio was going to keep me from the aerobic fat burning part, since I was down to the stubborn love handles mostly.

Immediately I solved that problem by doing the planet fitness interval training and adding cardio on the end with yoga in the morning, and gains started getting good.

But that was just before the coronavirus hoax scared America into a state of shutdown.

With my gym closed, I was several days trying to restart.

I went back to walking in the park, and the plantar fasciitis flared up just as bad.

I decided to rest my injuries, but now a month has gone by with no progress.

I can't always motivate myself to workout at home, because I live in a shared house in a small room, alone.

I don't want to be here too much, I get the cabin fever, which I'm prone to because I work at home.

The short version of it is that I gained 30 lbs, can't run or walk because of injuries, don't want to workout at home because I hate it here, and am demotivated to push through the diet when I'm alone so much.

This funk, even though I've got a good streak right now, really is terrible.

Any thoughts or ideas?

LifeRunner likes this.
  2. Sjors

Sjors Fapstronaut

You mentioned you miss out on cardio. I know America isn’t too much of an bicycle riding country. But whenever I have slight pains I just grab the bike and go for a ride. The win for me is in being able to decide how much pressure I apply when biking. If you have a mountainbike, you can regulate that ofc. Just an idea..

3. Yeah, I don't know where you live, but you are right, American cities are either hot or not on biking.

In my hometown, Louisville, there are "places" to bike, but you need to drive your bike there.

Where I live now, Nashville, forget it. Sidewalks are hit and miss, and they made bike lanes on

some streets, but since they aren't continuous over long distances, rarely are there bikers on them.

Which makes them dangerous because drivers use them since there are never bikers on them.

I also lived in Carmel, Indiana which has an awesome biking greenway.

Carmel is just barely north of Indianapolis.

In Indy, a railway used to cut through the center of the city from north to south, the Monon.

In 2005, the city removed the tracks and paved it, it's beautiful, wooded, very long, nice and wide,

and mostly flat. You can ride from Carmel into the arts district of Broad Ripple, I did it quite often.

Anyway, sorry about the tangent.

4. Sjors

Sjors Fapstronaut

I live in Holland, for me it’s normal to be able to ride bikes. Almost every road outside the highways and some provincial roads are outfitted with bike lanes. Hooking your car up with an imperial for a bike can be an option ofc. But yes, if you have to drive long distance to be able to ride then I understand.

How’s it going now, your sport injury any better? Found another solution for your cardio?

Submariner likes this.
  5. LifeRunner

LifeRunner Fapstronaut

I have always found that it is hard to motivate myself to workout when my goal is to lose weight or to look more aesthetic. Nowadays, I workout because it makes me feel good afterwards. I love how jogging/biking lifts my mood and makes me feel more centered for the rest of the day. I know you said that it's hard for you to jog or walk right now because of your injuries. My advice would be to find some form of exercise that doesn't hurt your body and that you enjoy doing every day. It can be super small and simple.

6. Yes, that's good for you all in Holland. I hear it's a beautiful country.

But after my divorce, I gave my bike to my ex. I didn't want to make a trip to get just that,

it was the last thing. It would have been about a 6 hour day to salvage a $125 bike.

Not an efficient use of time.

Re: the injuries, no I have plantar fasciitis on one foot, and on the other leg,

my knee hurts, and on that same leg, my ankle gets marginal.

I can't run on the sidewalks now, and the gyms are closed.

Sometimes I go out for short walks, but the lion's share of what I do

is a 35 minute yoga routine and weights at my place.

But biking is fun, I enjoyed it in Carmel, Indiana.

I remember that the ride south was mostly a coast.

Coming back was a serious pedal job.

It catches a lot of people by suprise because Indiana is known

to be mostly flat land, and there are no hills on the Monon greenway.

So there is a grade, but the eye cannot see it.

Of course, I didn't realize that until I was stuck in Broad Ripple, with my bike,

having a starbucks with total indifference,

thinking going back would be just as easy....

7. The yoga helps a lot, it centers my mind, my thinking for the day.

I like weights but I can't get motivated to do them consistently

because it totally drains me,

and I fear that it holds me back from healing my foot and knee.

It's one thing to run for speed when you are in your 20's

but I'm 46, and getting under a 6 minute mile (pace)

takes a superhuman effort.

But I really want to hit a personal best in 2020 on speed.

even if I could get back in that range it'd be great.