1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Finding in-person (or live-chat/etc) support groups for sex addiction

Discussion in 'Compulsive Sexual Behavior' started by moonshapedpool, Jun 23, 2018.

1. moonshapedpool

moonshapedpool Fapstronaut

Does anyone here have any advice for someone finding a support group for dealing with an addiction to compulsive/addictive sexual behavior esp. out of using apps? I've lately found my problems have metastasized from PMO into a repeating app-browse-to-sex cycle, and it's gotten quite bad lately. (For context I'm bi, but it's been solely gay dating/hookup apps---grindr, scruff, etc.) I really have no control anymore, not without setting a parental lock on my phone and giving the password to someone (which I have) and installing an accountability program on my computer that's too hard to hack/remove (I could maybe, but too lazy/too much work) without someone knowing (which I haven't done yet---looking at Covenant Eyes). (Thankfully my problem isn't going to, say, bars or gay bars and picking up people---not in my character, and would take too much effort I feel to actually do that as a habit.)

But I realize this isn't enough. I've been seeing a counselor every week/2 weeks, and we've mostly talked about background issues---depression, anxiety, and stress (been quite bad lately). I think I really need to be in a regular support group that holds me accountable and that I can keep coming regularly to every week or so.

My problem is I'm in Germany, and my German is not great, esp. for things like this, and there doesn't seem to be an SAA/etc group here in English (in Munich here). I've seen SAA has a Sun. night group that meets online at 9pm EST (unfortunately 3am here)---but I wonder if there are other options.

First, does anyone know of other online meeting options or groups (in English, or that would allow English, if possible)? Esp. ones that might have easier times to meet at for Europeans.

And second, are AA-based groups the way to go? Are there other routes or meeting groups for dealing with things like this? (Like I'm not sure if it would be better for me to find an accountability group on here that meets every week by phone or skype or something and do it that way---maybe I should also do that?)

Thanks for your advice and help in advance.

2. mcade

mcade Fapstronaut

I wish I knew of something. I am in the states and just mentioned to someone here about maybe seeking out a SAA group. But I am scared to do that in person and the steps of admitting things to family and friends is to much.

I am just starting my process and seeing people such as yourself at so many days helps me. I hope I can achieve that success.

moonshapedpool likes this.
  3. moonshapedpool

moonshapedpool Fapstronaut

I don't know if or whether friends or family would have to know you're in a support group, but I'd say it's really important just to do it. I'd do it instantly here—if there were a group I could either speak better German (or English). I'm going to try the 3am online meeting later tonight I think.