1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

First meditation experience

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by scote73, Jun 29, 2016.

1. scote73

scote73 Fapstronaut

After months of telling myself that I need to start meditating, I finally managed to set aside 20 minutes and do it.

A few things became clear for me personally...

1. It is incredibly difficult to do...at first. I counted at least 5 times in which I wondered if it had been 20 minutes yet. Being in tune with the present moment is much harder, and scarier, than I thought it would be. I only made it to 18 and a half minutes. Tomorrow I will definitely get to 20.

2. I tried to center my thoughts around 1 idea - acceptance of the present moment. Acceptance that the universe is as it should be. However, my thoughts bounced around, often toward completely unrelated topics. It leads me to think...are we even in control of our thoughts? At times it even took a while to be conscious of the fact that my mind was going on a tangent.

3. As conscious as I thought I was...I'm still very asleep. I still have a long way to go in order to completely wake out of unconsciousness.

Now comes the difficult part - doing this every day. As fast as life seems it's going, it will start to slow down if I can make this a habit.

To those who are skeptical, I completely recommend meditation.

2. vulture175

vulture175 Fapstronaut

@scote73 : hi, how's your practice going buddy?

3. scote73

scote73 Fapstronaut

I got the full 20 minutes in yesterday...actually did a visualization exercise for half of it. I'll definitely keep meditation going, it's something that I can feel is helping.

4. vulture175

vulture175 Fapstronaut

@scote73 : today i fell to sleep while meditating. what a good sleep. :p

5. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

It's good to hear that you're meditating man. For me, I've been doing meditating for years on and off, and never got into the habit of daily practicing. Now, since I've been working at a nursery with the beautiful scenery of plants, shrubs, and trees, I've been feeling better all around. And I just started taking meditation more seriously. My dad told me, who is a Buddhist monk by the way, that the best time to do meditation is typically the first thing in the morning at the last thing you do before going to bed. It gets your mind cleared up for the day, and eases your mind before you sleep.

Most people should start 10 minutes for morning and night, but you're at 20 minutes which is great. Plus, there's so many ways to do meditation: There's breathing meditation, visual meditation, relaxation meditation, mindfulness meditation, and the list goes on. So find a type that works for you. I try hard to meditate every night before I go to bed. And trust me, it is very hard. Something as easy as focusing on my breath is difficult. I've tried counting meditation, but that doesn't work. So I did this: Deep breathing using your belly.

Basically, you want to relax your mind and body as best you can. Find a nice cool place to mediate and have the room slightly dark. Close your eyes until you can barely see anything. Some people close their eyes completely which is fine, but I'd prefer opening them slightly to have a better concentration. Relax your jaw, take a few deep breaths to prepare yourself, and as you inhale, slowly EXPAND your belly and as you're breathing out, flatten your belly. Forcefully move your belly in and out as you breath. At the same time, really feel your belly moving, the sound of your breath, or your bodily movements. I tend to focus on the movements of my belly, that way my concentration on my belly is most important. Anyway, you don't have to take my word for it, everybody has their own style of meditating; just find the one that works for you. Good luck man!

6. scote73

scote73 Fapstronaut

Admittedly I haven't been meditating lately, although it's a good habit and I see the benefits. It's one of those "no excuse" daily habits that I really need to incorporate in my life. This is something I'm definitely interested in mastering, so thanks, @Namekian23 , for sharing your meditation tips...there are truly many good ways to meditate, and I'm pretty open-minded to hear as many of them as I can.

I did hear that it was probably better not to meditate when you're sleepy, so I avoided doing it straight after I wake up/before bed. I'll try it, though, just to see how it works!

7. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

I've tried meditating many times, while I like it I can never make it a consistent habit. I'm thinking of building a little area in my backyard to meditate for when the weather cools. It won't be an everyday thing, but it will be a great place to go for a quick escape when I feel like I need a break in my life. Right now, it's too darn hot out to be out there.

8. coconutplums

coconutplums Fapstronaut

I'd try this one out. It impacted me quite a bit. I've been practicing meditation for three years or so. I fell out of it for a while, but I'm getting back into it.

9. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Yeah, everybody has their own way of doing it. I actually got this information from my dad and a doctor who specializes in meditation. But like I said, everyone is different. In fact, I've tweaked my form of meditation to better suit my needs, and most of the time it works. So yeah, do whatever is best for you. You may like it you may not; that's the wonderful thing about meditation. It doesn't matter who are you, how old you are, what form it is, or how long you do it, etc. There's so many ways to experiment, so find something that works for you, so you can use it on a routine basis :)

10. vulture175

vulture175 Fapstronaut

"A simple way of relating to our experience, which can have profound impact on painful, negative experiences we encounter." quoted

" What mindfulness is NOT:
    - Not a relaxation exercise,
    - Not a way to avoid difficulty,
    - Not a way to by-pass personality problems,
    - Not about acheving a different state of mind

What mindfulness is ABOUT :
    - Being present to our experience however distressing or upsetting it maybe,
    - Brings us closer to difficulties but without becoming caught up in our reactions to difficulties,
    - It is slow, gentle coming to grips with who you are,
    - Settling in to our current experience in a relaxed, alert, open-hearted way." Quoted

my thoughts about mindfulness were totally wrong. that's why mindfulness made me mentally crazy instead of awareness. now i know. mindfulness is not a practice to relax, but to experience the pain. i was wrong.

11. No one can meditate! People can only become meditative. It is not a 20 minute process. It is ON all the time!
    Probably you guys should checkout the Isha Foundation on internet.

vulture175 likes this.
  12. vulture175

vulture175 Fapstronaut

i tend to agree with this. i stopped setting time for mediation. if mindfulness is about awareness, then it should be with us all the time. also mindfulness is a spiritual thing, so it likely can't be practiced like normal ways such as running or lifting or even training brain. that doesn't mean we don't need time to be mindful.
    i was wrong in the first place. that's why i was never mindful. wrong practice even made me more depressed and anxious.

13. Thanks!! But I don't understand much of what you're saying.. It seems you've read a lot about meditation & Buddhism.. And I totally accept that wrong practice might have made you depressed and anxious, because that's the nature of Life process - If you do the wrong things, wrong things will happen to you!!!
    See, this is all I do.. I have realized that my mind is just an instrument that collects all the information! It's job is the recycle old data and present them in various permutations & combinations as thought!! Observe yourself.. This is all that your mind does.. Nothing else.. And I also see that just like my heart, lungs, kidney etc my mind is also on all the time.. I never ever try to stop it.. I have just distanced myself from my instruments and I am meditative all the time.. No matter what.. I can very proudly say that no matter what.. Not even one ounce of suffering can touch me!!! :)

vulture175 likes this.
  14. Read this:
    https://www.nofap.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-mechanics-of-human-suffering.76025/
    The mechanics of Human suffering and an insight into the mind!

vulture175 likes this.