1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitness and ego.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Mar 12, 2021.

1. I thought about this while in shower.
    Yesterday I got my book about ego by Osho who in my opinion is a legend. Yes, a legend. I highly suggest reading this man's books.
    But why fitness? Well, I'm part of it myself. I workout 3/4 times a week, I have full body bodyweight workouts with additional excercises on dip-bar, sometimes kettlebells.
    So what about ego?
    I thought about having a six-pack. And I was going towards it. Things were going fine, but I felt a lot of discomfort. You might as well say "But dude, discomfort is the shit! It makes you feel better afterwards!" Sure, it is true, but let's think about it. Does six pack makes me really happy?
    Well, I'm not saying that someone can't have sixpack as an ultimate fitness goal but... It's a nowhere point! Don't chase the sixpack, because most likely you want to have a sixpack just to look in the mirror or show it to girls. That's ego. That ruins you.
    You cut weight, you sweat just to be "cooler", just to be "better".
    I say that it's sort of...Umm, bullshit! Sure, workouts are great! Fitness is GREAT! It feels magical after a good workout to grab a cup of coffee or just eat healthy foods, sure. But fitness goals should be chosen bit smarter, with less thoughts about how people view you.
    So, this girl is going to look at you. She's going to say something good to you about that sixpack. Boom! Explosion in dopamine lab! You feel really good... For a minute. Then it goes away. You become addicted to this feeling, you SEEK admiration. You NEED those compliments. You ARE ruined. Well, I'm probably overdramatizing stuff, but really - think about it!
    What if there's a far better goal to have in fitness? And there is one!
    Do fitness without a mirror! Maintain your weight, don't run for a sixpack. All the good things will come your way anyway. You might as well have your desired sixpack, but remember - desire driven life is useless life. I say - screw all the looks! What matters is how you FEEL!
    Imagine sitting in a park, it's a sunny day, you have a cup of coffee and you just sit there. Your body is not feeling uncomfotable, you're not overweight. You can run, you can jump, you can swim - you can feel free cause you're body is capable of it.
    I think real strength, real power is what matters more. It won't bother you if you won't have some good looking muscles. You just will feel good cause there is no pressure upon you, meaning, that there's not even a tiny zone of comfort you have to step out of - yet - you will become stronger, you will feel better. And that motivation lasts WAY longer and is more useful.

2. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Do fitness so one day you look at the mirror and turn gay for yourself, not for others opinions.

3. OhWhenThe

OhWhenThe Fapstronaut

Tbh I mainly do it so I spend an hour less a day on here.

blacklabel92 likes this.
  4. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

[​IMG]

Wise words.

5. blacklabel92

blacklabel92 Fapstronaut

this is why i left the gym and started my own diy regime. i want to be as naturally cut and lean as my body will let me. caused me to eat cleaner and get more sun on my skin, now im in the best shape ive ever been in and im planning to go all the way with this. wanna see how far i can take it.

Loving Loveless and mdnirvana like this.
  6. Lovelife247

Lovelife247 Fapstronaut

Do you think the ego benefits you? If so which way

7. brassknucks

brassknucks Fapstronaut

What?! A big reason to get into fitness is to look better and feel better. Why try to eliminate that truth? It's a good thing. Now if you were talking about extreme vanity, that's a different story.

8. primaljade

primaljade Fapstronaut

9. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

Bullshit , i prefer much more gym , than workout at home, at home i cant gain weight and muscles , its not enough already lost 3 kg since lockdown, pray at day 5 of april they reopen it!

I lift and like to lift because i feel strong and better than the other guys, it makes me feel like a real man , not a skynny of fat intelectual person, for me real power is pure brute force, with also a good mind, but having only a good mind is not enough !
    And i like the compliments i get because its like when an artists does a painting for sure he would like the compliments, same applys to gym and my workouts , but i dont lift for girls, i lift for myself and to get and advantage in strenght on fighting

10. Upwards2020

Upwards2020 Fapstronaut

I'm not a fan of the gym it's extremely douche ...even when people show some sort of comradery or mutual respect .... it's really just very douchey... when I train I just get the head down and put everything into the process of training usually when there's no one there .... because for the most part people stand around posing and not actually training much .... some of the dude in there are hilarious the get ups one.dude looked like.he.was straight off the wwe. Home gym and forest hill runs is we're it's at . I actually find the gym depressing . It's commercial and clinical and void of any character... the hassle of driving to gym every day .... I train at home 1 hour a day and it's not the be all end all of my life... when you hit the gym it does make you egotistical when I train from home it's just a daily task without the douchiness