1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Focus on yourself

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by FailingForward, Mar 14, 2020.

1. FailingForward

FailingForward Fapstronaut

How do you focus on yourself more but not be selfish?

There is a fine line there but I need to focus more on myself and my needs and others for the first time in my life. Women take advantage of me in this area and I need to get better here. Any thoughts in terms of how to approach something like this?

Fixmybrain likes this.
  2. The question assumes that selfish is something bad or immoral. I once thought that (and developed a victim's mentality), but then I finally realized no one is looking out for me and no one cares about satisfying my needs--except for me. When you don't look out for yourself, others see it and will take advantage of you. After all, if you don't care enough about yourself to look after your own needs, you can't expect others to do so especially women.

Fixmybrain and FailingForward like this.
  3. FailingForward

FailingForward Fapstronaut

Thank you for the thoughtful response, this was very insightful. So your thoughts is that being selfish is not bad, what do you mean by a victims mentality?

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. I would consider others' needs and their opinions to be more important than my own. This happens when I place people on a pedestal. It's as if they don't have the same problems that I have so it seems grossly unfair. I say "victim" because it feels like everyone and everything around me is out to make my life more painful and miserable. In some cases, I really was a legitimate victim like when I experienced physical / emotional abuse. Even though I maybe a victim, these issues are still my problem to deal with. They are my problem because no one else is going to care enough to make sure I recover from them. Perhaps as children we had parents who could look after us, but they're not around forever and some of us didn't even have loving parents to begin with.

5. Sounds like me in the past. Used to be ‘too compassionate’ if you will. Family is always there at the end of the day unlike other people

6. Unless the family is dysfunctional. Toxic people will only exacerbate a problem whether they are family or not. I've made that mistake as well.

7. Max666

Max666 Fapstronaut

There's no such thing as selflessness. Even a mother expects something in return, as a preacher does for his service to God.