1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Folly to Rely on My Willpower Alone

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

It occurs to me that I am in the greatest danger when I decide that my willpower alone is strong enough to resist temptation or worse yet to foolishly conclude that I am cured and no longer vulnerable.

As I examine my conscience and my history of sinful lust, I see that when I am not feeling particularly tempted, these are the times I am most likely to relax my commitment to daily heartfelt prayer. It is not long after such mistakes that the evil one rushes in with a temptation that I am ill prepared to fight.

I think this interpretation of Proverbs 16:18 from the Knox bible says it well.
    "Presumption comes first, and ruin close behind it; pride ever goes before a fall."

Toni7, somebodysdad, Raahvi and 8 others like this.
  2. Pride is perhaps the greatest danger to us. It is what convinces us we are sufficient in ourselves to meet the challenge, whatever it might be. It is humbling to confess we need help each day, that even every breath we draw depends on God's constant support and intervention on our behalves. And yet, it is in this seeming weakness that we find true strength.

May our pride drive us always back to Christ. He alone is the firm ground who will keep us from falling.

Thank you for your post, my friend. You are an encouragement to me today.

Toni7, somebodysdad, CPilot and 4 others like this.
  3. Yes, we cannot make it on our own. We need the help of the one who created us.

Tao Jones, geester and CPilot like this.
  4. Its true a lot of will power can come from believing in a higher power, coming to the conclusion i need to put more effort into gaining faith, keeping the faith I have and avoiding looking for answers about my doubts from the wrong people and wrong sources.

Sometimes YouTube really isn't useful...

5. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

As prompted by Tao Jones recent post, yesterday I re-read Romans 7 & 8. I read an interpretation of Romans 7: 13 - 25 that I found in the New American Bible which I think explains why willpower alone is insufficient to fight sin.

"Far from improving the sinner, law encourages sin to expose itself in transgressions or violations of specific commandments (see Romans 1:24; 5:20). Thus persons who do not experience the justifying grace of God, and Christians who revert to dependence on law as the criterion for their relationship with God, will recognize a rift between their reasoned desire for the goodness of the law and their actual performance that is contrary to the law. Unable to free themselves from the slavery of sin and the power of death, they can only be rescued from defeat in the conflict by the power of God's grace working through Jesus Christ."

I summarize this to mean, once we have made the decision to quit sin, we must have grace to underpin that commitment. In my understanding, grace is obtained by prayer, devotion to Jesus Christ and kindness to others. Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound!

6. We must give it everything we've got, but that on its own will never be enough. We also need his strength, working through us, to get and stay free of entangling sin. We must have a ready access and a steady stream of his grace and goodness in order to make it through each day. We do this by "abiding" in him, whatever that looks like for you. Only by remaining vitally connected to the Vine do we have any chance at Life!

You are such an encouragement to me, @CPilot . Keep pursuing the Son!

7. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Lately, I have been led to examine my heart and to ask myself if I want a truly clean heart or if I am holding on to some vestige of my old self and a desire to sin. A house divided against itself cannot stand and so if I do not completely desire a clean heart, eventually I will fall again.

I understand that grace underpins willpower but it occurs to me there is a third element to this equation called desire. The more one desires a truly clean heart the more grace is bestowed on them and the more grace one receives the stronger willpower becomes. Perhaps these three things are a structure where each builds on the other. Where I used to pray, "Lord create a clean heart in me", the prayer that is resonating with me these days is "Lord teach me to desire a thoroughly clean heart".

Fulton Sheen wrote this when describing Christ's entry into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday.

“In the life of every individual and in the life of every nation, there are three moments: a time of visitation or privilege in the form of a blessing from God; a time of rejection in which the Divine is forgotten; and a time of doom or disaster. Judgment (or disaster) is the consequence of human decisions and proves that the world is guided by God’s presence. His tears over the city [Jerusalem] showed Him as the Lord of History, giving men grace, and yet never destroying their freedom to reject it. But in disobeying His will, men destroy themselves; in stabbing Him, it is their own hearts they slay; in denying Him, it is their city and their nation that they bring to ruin. Such was the message of His tears as the King goes to the Cross.”

Excerpt From: Fulton J. Sheen. “Life of Christ.”

Tao Jones and geester like this.
  8. Nice sounds like a wise man, I know he did some lectures and there's some apps for his lectures on android might have to check him out more. Found a few of his lectures here: https://www.americancatholictruthsociety.com/sheen/ but all the others websites/people are trying to charge for the complete sheen lectures which I object too. So these i shall listen to first.

IDK haven't checked YouTube might be more on there. Unless you know where i can hear more of his lectures preferably for free, currently on my Linux P.C.?!

9. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I frequently find Fulton Sheen lectures on YouTube, free of charge. I expect he can also be found on EWTN. Currently, I am reading his book "Life of Christ" via an ibook. Although this book is organized in the chronological order of Christ's life on earth, it is not so much a history book as it is a beautiful explanation of the biblical accounts of His life. Definitely worth a read.

Keli and geester like this.