1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOU WILL BE FREE

For Fapstronauts of the Protestant Christian faith.

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

I recommended wearing a rubber band and snapping it when I had a lustful thought. I was shocked by the result. Background: The Bible says: “12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”

When I praised the Lord after snapping my wrist (as a reminder to not have lustful thoughts) my lustful thoughts dropped by 80%.

This shows that the dark forces mentioned in that verse are popping thoughts in my mind a lot. It also shows that they don't want to be around us when we are praising the Lord all the time.

Plus even when it is my thought and not theirs, I don't want to think that way. I need to get rid of any fantasies or lustful thoughts.

Key point: snap it, then say, “Praise the Lord.”

Secondly, pray. Jesus had the daily habit of prayer. Virtually all great Bible Christians had the habit of a chunk of time in prayer daily. The Bible says: 6 “In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” This means: Ask for God's guidance in “All decisions,” and He will direct your path.

Thirdly, the Bible says: Matthew 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Memorize this verse. God's way “Adds,” and leads to victory. This verse will open your mind up to the great life that God wants for you.

Snap it. What we do starts in the mind. Free your mind and you will be free.

2. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

If you are out and about when tempted, snap that rubber band and then quote Scriptures to yourself. Corechristianity.com said: “When Jesus was tempted by the devil, the devil quoted the Bible to Jesus hoping to trick him by sounding good and pious. Jesus’ response was to quote Scripture right back at the devil. (Matt. 4:5-7).
    Just as importantly, take preventative action. If you know certain situations will bring you into temptation (going to a bar, going online by yourself, watching certain movies, being around certain people, etc) take preventative action and avoid those things. Like Joseph who fled from Potiphar’s wife when she tried to seduce him, we must sometimes simply run away or avoid the things that tempt us.

Rest: We are more susceptible to temptation when we are exhausted. When we are tired we are weakened and so more vulnerable to the deceptions of the devil. Rest is very important for our spirituality, and we must be extra vigilant when are tired, asking the Lord for extra strength to resist temptation.”

Snap It

Wear a rubber band on your wrist and try these six ideas about what to say. Every time you have a lustful thought, snap it and say: #1 “Father, Your ways are best.” On your next lustful thought Pray: “Father, show me what to think about.” Thought #3 Say: I believe that pure thoughts will lead to a great life. #4 Pray: “Jesus, I thank you for the cross.” #5: Say three things you can give God thanks for. # 6 Pray: “Father, take away this spirit of lust and fill me with your love. #7 Quote Scripture.
    Free your mind and you will be free.

3. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

To be habit free we should strive to always be thinking and working on something. This is vital because there is no neutral. Either we are improving or we will default to something bad. Eve was not praising God and focusing on exactly what He wanted when satan suggested the fatal apple. She was neutral, in a vacuum, open to ideas.
    Instead, if we are working on a negative emotion to try to please God, we are in "drive" not in neutral. Pick the negative emotion you need to go to war with. Anger, anxiety, or any of a dozen other ones. Next, print out a bunch of verses on that emotion. Then pray, meditate, memorize and focus on these verses. Focusing on the Word puts us in overdrive.
    Next, think about a good trait you want. I am meditating on verses about strength. If satan pops some temptation on me today, I know that I would be blowing my chances of gaining in strength if I listen to him for even one minute.
    Second, my brother hates that I mute the TV during commercials when we watch the football game. But, I want to be praying or praising God. I never want to be in a vacuum while watching TV. Even more importantly, I pray urgently to turn aggressively from lust throughout normal TV shows.
    Third, find things that inspire you to think and improve. Find some good Christian music videos or a Christian book to start your thinking in a good direction.
    Last, memorize the fact that we are either hot or cold as Christians. There is no neutral. If you start sliding into a neutral state... panic because it will end badly. Then shift immediately into drive and get your mind back to thinking about productive Godly things.

4. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Luke 6:47 Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: 48 He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was [j]founded on the rock. 49 But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently; and immediately it [k]fell. And the ruin of that house was great.”

This passage tells us what “To do.” If we hear the Word and do nothing we get ruin.

Second, many read articles, but only a few think constantly about how to form new habits that will squeeze out the old habits. Make it a hobby to research online about “How to form new habits.” Your library probably has a book on forming habits.

Third, your house is your life. Consider memorizing:

“Being a doer of God's ways makes my life rock solid.” “Hearing the Word and doing nothing = ruin.”

Fourth, repent, be a doer of the Word, form new habits, success.

5. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Either the Bible will keep you from sin, or temptation will keep you from the Bible. Let's join this Bible chapter where a man chooses lust instead of God's ways.

Proverbs 7:22 Immediately he went after her, as an ox goes to the slaughter,
    Or [a]as a fool to the correction of the [b]stocks, 23 Till an arrow struck his liver.
    As a bird hastens to the snare, He did not know it [c]would cost his life. Her house is the way to [d]hell, Descending to the chambers of death.”

Sexual sin “always” has long term consequences.

Many who do this do not die a physical death, so what dies? Emotions partially die, or are damaged. Anger breaks out, fear is boosted. Purpose dies or is damaged. When we choose other things over God's purpose and will, a place in our heart dies. We feel empty. We need something.

The Bible says “It would cost his life.” Why? One reason might be because now he/she has a new friend. A dark passenger who soon takes over driving. The dark passenger drives people into sin incessantly, until they are numb and depressed.

Second, many read this article, only a few read the key verses from Proverbs 7 until they have a proper fear of lust.

Third, someday I hope to be approached in heaven by a man who says:

“I read your article about Proverbs 7, then I read the key verses over and over again until I had them memorized word for word. From that day forward I started to understand the consequences. From that day forward I used the Bible as my tool to quit.”