1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

FREEDOM IS POSSIBLE - I AM THE PROOF

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Todor, Mar 30, 2018.

1. pantheraonca

pantheraonca Fapstronaut

Thank you so much for sharing your story. This was very inspiring! I am embarking on my recovery journey after reading this. And I also agree with the power of writing. More power to you!

Todor likes this.
  2. Really man....I appreciate your struggle with life..
    #Hardness has got its own uniqueness & you proved it man
    It was one of the best thread ...it took me more than 1.5 hours to finish ur thread but it really was worth reading...Hats off
    & this comment will bring it back to the top of success story section where it should be :)
    ;)

Sniper Faizan, 4DCreator and Todor like this.
  3. 4DCreator

4DCreator Fapstronaut

This is a serious article here. Well done.

Sniper Faizan and Todor like this.
  4. That post is very inspirational for other people struggling with pmo. Kudos to you sir! Well done....!

Todor likes this.
  5. swagzenegger

swagzenegger Fapstronaut

this story is amazing. because you where totally honest, detailed and observant. your writing skills are good. This story gave me that motivation I needed to get back on my PMO addiction fight.

Good work and thank you.

Todor likes this.
  6. control your life

control your life Distinguished Fapstronaut

keep going pal , cudos for your story, inspiring read

Todor likes this.
  7. OzymandiasI

OzymandiasI Fapstronaut

Thank you so much for sharing.
    Reading this brought a tear to my eye because of how relatable it is.
    I too had a traumatic childhood with an abusive father who never gave me love or acceptance. My mother used me to satisfy her emotional needs(covert incest) and was extremely controlling.
    I also struggled with the fact that I couldn't have a relationship or be loved even though all my friends did and didn't know how to deal with those feelings.
    I could write about these all day, maybe one day I'll have the courage to write it all down like you did but for now I'm gonna focus on being aware of these traumas and negative feelings and heal them.

Todor likes this.
  8. Fellows, it's time to recap Year 2018.

I consider my journey with PMO to be now over as I'm about to reach 365 days free from the addiction. Not only am I free by the number of calendar days, but also I don't feel any urges to go online and PMO anymore. I'm just not attracted to that idea. I have all the opportunities to do it - Internet access, privacy, free time, but I'm chill the way I am right now.

RECAP YEAR 2018 (ONE YEAR PMO-FREE)

In 2018 I've been through a lot of emotional ups and downs, not much related to PMO directly. There were only a few times when I faced intense urges, but I survived them.

The facts important to be mentioned are:

= SLEEP - I found out that sleep is very much related to how I feel about MO. The less sleep I got, the more intense the urges to MO were, especially as first thing in the morning. I found a scientific proof of that in one lecture, here's a link (Skip directly to 6:23 where the important stuff starts):
    So, in my case, it really is like the scientific data shows - when I was getting enough sleep, I was feeling way stronger in my ability to focus, to control myself and to be present. In fact, right before I quit PMO, I was sleeping about 10 hours and I was doing mindfulness meditation, so I guess that helped really a lot. It is also important to go in bed in a reasonable time. I know that it is tempting to stay up until 2-3 am, but the quality sleep we get only if we go to bed not later than 11 pm. Every time I've had taken the decision to stay late, even though I enjoyed it, I dearly regretted it in the morning.

= ADDICTION TO THE PAST

In 2018 I had to revise the way I look back at my past relationships with girls and one in particular, to which I was so stuck with, that even though I had quit PMO, I came back to MO and fantasy-MO using old images in my head of a time long gone. The experiences that I had with that ex-gf of mine were pulling me back. She appeared many times in my sleep and I realized I had a problem on a very deep level, on a subconscious level. So I did a lot of "let go" meditations and I released her image from my head, from my being. I can tell you in more details how I did it, so it doesn't sound to superficial or fancy to you: I sit back in a chair, in a quiet room, undisturbed, eyes closed, taking deep breaths and then mentally going back to that time when I was with her, which was my trigger to MO. At that moment, when I imagined vividly the past, as it was happening in the present moment, I changed the scene in my head by mentally saying to her: "I'm going now. We are separating. We are no longer together. It's all over. I don't want to do this anymore and I'm letting you go from me as well." Then I imagine how we physically separate, our bodies separate and as there are a few meters between us, I feel myself as me, as a separate being, without the urges, without the need to be with her.

As I came out of this meditation/visualization I cried a lot. I cried over something that happened over 13 years ago, but I never let myself grief on our separation at that time. That night I had a weird dream in which a sad girl that was trapped in my home turned into a cat and then, as I was holding the cat gently, it died in my hands. The soul of the cat wanted to leave and it did go through me, through my legs and through there it released my body and merged with God. It was such a powerful message to me.

= SOCIAL ANXIETY

I've been having social anxiety since my childhood, because of traumas at very young age. I had a mild for of dyslexia as a kid, which the teacher didn't know about, but I knew that when I read out loud I'm making a lot of mistakes. My schoolmates were very "helpful" correcting everything I was saying wrong, so I quickly realized that I'm being exposed to criticism from all sides of the school room - right there I started to feel the world as a threatening place. I was only 11 years old.

Another traumatic event that never took place, except in my head, was a school performance, which I escaped from two hours before the event, which was supposed to be a 2 min. easy song, which I was playing on a keyboard synthesizer while two girls of my class were singing. I used to do one stupid mistake at the end of the song, which I considered as unacceptable and humiliating. I got so scared that everybody (about 100 parents of kids) will look at me, laugh or mock me about that mistake, that I just run home and locked myself in my room.

The third event was a rejection from a girl at age of around 13 and public humiliation from my schoolmates, judging my awkward dealing with that girl. It got me so traumatized that I did not allow myself to show interest to girls for many years, although I had opportunities. The thought that I'm unworthy of a relationship with a girl pushed me towards P and soon towards gay content, with which I justified my inability to get girls - such a wrong path!

These three events at age 11-13 established a serious anxiety issue of public performance, which in 2018 I've finally understood. I'm now in the process of facing my fears of failing to satisfy the expectations of the others and be fine with that. To get to this moment I got a lot of help from a YouTuber called Sasha Daygame. In his face, in his approach to women and people in general, I saw who I really am, who I really can be, if I am naturally me. His video of "Social Freedom" helped me tremendously to see that life can be fun and rejection is not a problem until you decide it is. Here's a few links to his channel:
    - https://www.youtube.com/user/Sashathepua - official channel
    - - powerful video to show how our own beliefs stops us from being who we can be and experience true connection with the others
    - - Social Freedom

The first time I watched "Social Freedom" video I got very depressed, because I thought I'm never going to be able to act like that in real life. I thought that's simply impossible. But I decided that I'm just going to be kind in real life and talk to strangers whenever I feel it's fine to do it. Just starting a small-talk conversations when I go to the shop, when I go to the post office. And in no time I felt like my boundaries are breaking down. There was one beautiful girl that I had the desire to talk to, not necessarily to get her on a date, but just to talk to her and I had something to say, but then I felt that if I say it I might look awkward and be rejected by her and by the people on the line waiting. A that moment I felt the rush of adrenaline in my head, in my body; my heart started racing. And for a moment I said to myself that I won't say anything to her, I'll just do what I'm used to do to protect myself from humiliation, but then I remembered about Sasha and I simply let myself say the comment that I wanted to make. It went as a nice conversation and for the first time in years I was talking to a beautiful girl which I didn't know before. I wasn't pushing anything, I was just naturally me. Such a wonderful experience.

In 2018, before I got to know Sasha, I had terrible panic attacks as I was trying to build something on the street in front of my house, while people were walking by, watching me. I could feel I've been observed, I've been watched by so many people and from the neighbors through their windows. It was so terrifying, because I wasn't achieving what I wanted to do, so I spent a few hours re-thinking, re-planning and re-creating that simple woodwork. It was so intense, I can't even describe it. And now I'm sure it is due to those 3 events that happened in my childhood. Fortunately, I met Sasha, who inspired me to get out of my head, stop trusting that negative narrator in my head, who was telling me that I'm being watched and everybody's laughing at me. Now I'm much more opened to put myself into situations where I can look awkward, but that doesn't mean I'm less worthy of respect and I'm a stupid person.

CONCLUSION

There are models of behavior that we all have adopted at very young age, in order to cope with the traumatic events we were exposed to. As we grew up, some mild traumas could have got resolved without our conscious intervention - due to supportive parents, partners or luck in life; or we still carry the traumas in us without realizing them. As long as they are not too severe, they don't bother us too much, so we don't take any actions to improve.

But most of us, especially the people who got addicted to P or substances, could never make the transition form childhood to adulthood in a healthy way, because the traumas were too severe. We got stuck in the unhealthy repetitive models of behavior, which we reinforced over and over again, thus making it a deeply ingrained habits. Even as adults, we still act like the kids we used to be. We repeat the vicious cycle, because we don't know any better way. This is really sad.

Fortunately, the suffering is not only a bad thing, but it serves the wonderful purpose to make us awaken. In fact, the greater the intensity of the suffering, the greater the opportunity to wake up and realize the roots of the pain. The discomfort makes you more curious; it makes you search, look deeper, look closer, analyze, contemplate and ultimately understand. The moment you understand, you become free.

That's all I know so far.
    God bless!

9. An excellent post, and much more relevant than the 'fight against this evil' narrative that is so often seen on here.
    Congratulations on your achievements.

Todor and Deleted Account like this.
  10. hey, bro, I loved your story - thank you for sharing it - I recommend you put it on amazon kindle for a small purchase or a free give away - it is super helpful and valuable.

Todor likes this.
  11. Asgardian36

Asgardian36 Fapstronaut

Brother....reading your posts was a blessing. Thank you for making these, man. I appreciate you taking time to describe to us all what has helped you. It is very inspiring. I hope it reaches to more and more people. Your posts put forth the importance of being aware and being present Thanks a lot!!!

Todor likes this.
  12. Wario32

Wario32 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Thank you so much for this post, it is very inspirational.

I suffer from OCD, so I know a thing or two about thoughs. I'm going to differently look into all the mindfulness info you posted here

Todor likes this.
  13. Holy fuck that's the most insightful post I've ever read here. Thank you so much for this man. Just think how many people you just helped with your story.

Todor likes this.
  14. hydroxide

hydroxide Fapstronaut

Wow, that is something. I haven't finished reading it yet, but I will come back. Thanks for sharing your story - congrats on your success and keep living your life.

Todor likes this.
  15. Beekay148

Beekay148 Fapstronaut

Currently at chapter 1! Will be reading through your posts during my travels to work :D

Todor likes this.
  16. Captain!

Captain! Fapstronaut

Man I cried, it gives me healing somehow.

hydroxide and Todor like this.
  17. Just read your whole story in one go. I would like to reread some parts again especially the parts from your story I relate. Also I would like to reread the technique part (breathing, writing etc.) to apply them on myself. Thank you for sharing your journey. It inspired me to look more on my mind.

In my opinion, I think that mental health is some kind of a muscle. If you don't train it, it will weaken and become vulnerable to any kind of potentially dangerous stimulus. So is an individual repeat after a specific period of mental care important.

I wish you the best on your upcoming journeys in the future.

Todor likes this.
  18. To all of you, who left a comment here: guys, I can't express my gratitude well enough on the feedback that you have given me! I am so humbled and deeply touched! I thank God for giving me this wonderful gift of freedom, which I can talk about with you now and I wish so dearly to be able to spread around.

I wrote my story with so much care and truthfulness over a period of 4 intensive weeks of daily writing and editing. I took everything that was in me and put it into words. It is really the most genuine story I have ever written about myself.

Some of your comments have brought tears of joy in my eyes, because my story has helped you heal, if only a bit. That is the best present for me and I could not ask for more.

Thank you, guys, really!

I wish you not only to become free from the addiction, but to become free sooner, because I don't simply believe it is possible, I know it is and it will become your reality! I'm 100% sure of that!

Have a successful New Year 2019!
    Todor

19. This is absolutely AMAZING man, i'm sure you made alot of effort to reach this level of freedom and also to write it all for us. Thank you for being another successful person in this journey and showing to everybody that, In life, nothing is IMpossible.

Deleted Account and Todor like this.
  20. WretchedBoy

WretchedBoy Fapstronaut

Hi Todor,
    I have been a silent reader of this forum for a few month now but your story pushed me to post my first few words here.

Thank you
    for taking the time to write this down for all of us. For me, reading this came just at the right moment.
    Today I reach day 70 without PMO and what might should feel like a milestone just didn´t. The last days I felt depressed, stressed and had no idea how to continue the process of improvement I had witnessed the first few weeks of abstinence.
    What you wrote about the benefits of mindfulness, breathing and "watching the thinker" gave me what I needed: a new perspective, new tools. Something to continue to work with. Be assured, you helped me out big time. Thank you so much.

Payne Plank, Beekay148 and Todor like this.