1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Friend visiting, how do you keep them in the friend zone while doing NoFap - help!

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by +TenPercent, May 21, 2018.

1. How do you not have sex with someone who you really want to keep in the friend zone, but you know that they are interested in having sex . . .

and they are coming to visit for two weeks . . .

and you are doing NoFap?!

Quick background:

Short version: Its complicated.

Long version: I've been sort of dating someone for 4+ years. I love her. But it's more like a very special friendship. She's cute, but I'm not really into her in that way. I don't want to have sex with her. It kind of makes my skin crawl when she brings it up. We did have sex a few times in the first year. We've agreed to see other people. I moved away 2 1/2 years ago and now we only see each other about once a year, but we stay in touch daily via text. Sometimes we Skype or talk on the phone.

From a purely logical standpoint, maybe it would make sense to have sex. We both have needs. We really care about each other. Neither of us is seeing someone else. But, in my heart it doesn't feel right. To me, sex is very emotionally bonding. I feel like it strengthens a relationship. I kind of feel trapped in this relationship. As a friendship, I cherish it. But I would rather be a little bit less bonded, rather than more bonded.

So, I guess you could say that our relationship is very emotional. But not sexual. I never bring up sex (since I am trying to avoid it). She does bring it up sometimes. She complains about having sexual needs that aren't met.

Our intimacy looks like this: we hug. we cuddle. we kiss some, but not on the lips that much, and never with any tongue. We'll sleep together (spooning, whatever) but our schedules are so different that sometimes she'll be up the entire time that I am asleep, so if we do sleep together, it's rarely for more than an hour or two.

I don't know if any of that makes sense.

Anyway, she is coming to visit for two weeks! She'll stay in my apartment. Sleep in my bed. I really, really don't know what will happen now that I am doing NoFap! Will sexual urges overwhelm me? Will I be able to resist her advances? Am I just a total asshole for not having sex with her?

2. Dude, I really mean this nicely but forcefully...but your relationship with this person is just a mishmash of cris-crossed boundaries...

you're "dating" but you want to keep it in the friendzone...and the thought of sex with her makes your skin crawl.

You're contemplating sex with someone because the other person wants it. You're not even recognizing that you have your own choice. You haven't at all stated what you want or expect from the relationship. You're just stringing her along (for 4 years) being a people pleaser.

You're asking how to have rigid boundaries while sending a host of mixed signals. Cake and eat it too?

Date her or don't. Commit or break-up. You're hurting her by stringing her along. She is clinging to the table scraps of affection (her own issue), but ask yourself, do you pull her close and then push her away when she gets too close?

Check out http://coda.org/index.cfm/meeting-materials1/patterns-of-recovery/

4th from the bottom under "Avoidance Patterns". Give them all a good read.

Peace to you,
    -Quinn

Numb, Kenzi, Jennica and 5 others like this.
  3. Thank you, that might just be the jagged pill I needed.

Actually we have both been to CoDA meetings, but it’s been a long time. Might be time to go back.

In fact, she doesn’t call me her boyfriend. Just a “special friend”. We talked about how we don’t see ourselves ever getting married or living together. And we both agreed to see other people.
    Thing is, I’m not so good at meeting and dating new people and she is even worse!
    What a mess . . .

And since neither of us are having sex with anyone else, she pushes me to meet her sexual needs. But, like you said - I have a choice!!

I don’t want to. Just not sure how I’ll feel with her staying with me for two weeks and not sure how well I’ll be able to resist now that I’m not masturbating!

4. If she is truly a friend, why can't you tell her what you're doing in terms of rebooting/recovery? Then, she should understand and would hopefully be supportive instead of pressuring you to have sex.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Jennica, Numb, Kenzi and 2 others like this.
  5. Hi thanks, @+TenPercent, I see your situation more clearly now as mutual ambivalence and confusion. Go back to CoDA. CoDA changed my life, I cannot say it any better than that. Gave me confidence and self esteem, taught me boundaries, got rid of my people pleasing and all my fear based people manipulation tactics. Work the steps. They have a workbook. Get a sponsor.

And yes, tell her about your reboot. My closest friend is a woman, she knows _everything_ about my recovery. I met her in CoDA 5 years ago. We are extremely close for two reasons:

1. We are our authentic selves with each other.
    2. We have good, healthy boundaries that friends should have.

Take a risk and trust your friend. Put a box around the sex thing, don't do it. If you feel you can't, take a breather from the friendship until you are ready.

Peace to you,
    -Quinn

+TenPercent and hope4healing like this.