1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Gamedev project ideas

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Ghost in the Shell, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Give me some. I need to come up with a topic by the end of the week.

2. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

How detailed ideas are you looking for?

3. Doesn't matter, just brainstorming.

It shouldn't be too difficult (like a Minecraft clone or something) but not too easy either (Tetris). Let's say ~100 hours of work.

4. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Doesn't really say anything to me. Especially since I don't know your level of skill. Would be also nice to know what kind of games you personally play, since it can be very difficult to design a game for a genre you know nothing about.

5. I don't play games anymore :) The point of this project is a (larger) programming exercise, not the game itself. Oh, and it's a school project - so there are deadlines.

I'm an okay-ish dev but a total n00b in game development - right now I'm going through an OpenGL tutorial.

I've been thinking about making a Bomberman clone but I worry that will be deemed too simple so I'm exploring other options.

6. Ideas so far: a simple top-view fighter, like Realm of the Mad God (but single-player).

A Worms clone.

7. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

I wouldn't say those are too simple. Usually people do something like pong for their first game tbh. I know that'd be too simple considering your past knowledge of programming and the planned size of the project, but you can't go super complicated either.

8. Okay, I'll make sure I don't bite what I can't chew. Modest and working is better than ambitious and incomplete. Thanks for your advice.

9. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Mate create a sequel for the crypt of the necrodancer please

10. chris555

chris555 Fapstronaut

I personally think a story based game would be a very good idea.

11. I'm afraid a full blown version of this is far beyond of what I can achieve alone in this quick project :D But the dance/move mechanic is pretty cool, thanks for making me aware of it.

12. Thanks for the input. I'd like to avoid story-oriented games tbh since they require extra non-programming work.

The game should be simple and gameplay-oriented.

13. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

What about an scenario in where stuff come at you and you have to dodge it at the beat of the music, and you die if get hit by something?

Twinkle Star Sprites style... but with the necrodancer mechanic, that would be awesome...but without attacking, just dodging until you die.

If you don't know what twinkle star sprites is this:

Ghost in the Shell likes this.
  14. An anti-rpg game where you make friends with all the monsters adventurers are killing in order to get XP, and then you use nonviolent protests to sway the public mind and get the king/ queen and the people of the kingdom to ban adventuring.

Ghost in the Shell likes this.
  15. ruso

ruso Fapstronaut

A scary game like fright night versus Freddy but instead you are in a morgue

16. iLoveRain

iLoveRain Fapstronaut

I'm making a overwatch hero sandbox thing. Goes quite well so far!