1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Gas for Executions Amid Turmoil Over Lethal Injection

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Mar 15, 2018.

Do you agree with the death penalty for the worst violent crimes?

1. Yes

52.9%
  2. No

29.4%
  3. I don't know

17.6%
  1. I support the death penalty but it must be in a form that is universally feared. For instance, people FEARED short drop hanging, it was a terrible way to die. People FEARED the guillotine. People FEARED the electric chair. Honestly I don't fear lethal injection. I don't fear death. I would fear being choked to death, decapitated, or electrocuted, but simply going to sleep is a luxurious way to die.

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  2. As for life in prison without parole, that is insanely cruel and unusual compared to the death penalty. I consider life in prison the worse conceivable punishment. I think that locking someone in a cage for the remainder of their life is sadistic and barbaric to an extreme that only the human brain could come up with.

3. That seems like a very odd perspective, and I think a bit ignorant, due to you never having been in that position. It seems most people who are actually in that position, in prison for life, don't want to die and would rather remain alive in prison than be murdered by the state. So they disagree with you on that.

4. Personally if I were tried and they recommended for life in prison (for a captiol offense) I would request the death penalty in exchange for a no contest plea, promise to not use any of my appeals, and choose death by hanging (100% legal in my state.) Heck I'd rather have the death penalty then a single dime in prison.

5. You’re right. I have been just discussing various aspects of this from a strictly intellectual point of view.
    I have mentioned various aspects without taking a strong stance one way or the other.
    It’s not something that I have the power to decide so I know nobody really cares about my personal feeling.
    Having said that....

I can’t say whether it is wise to have the death penalty in a legal system that very often is not interested in finding the truth. (I have had dealings with it and you would not believe how much evidence is not allowed to be submitted even though it would give a clear picture of the whole situation) I can totally see how false convictions could happen

As far as my concern for someone who actually has deliberately killed someone else... I feel like justice requires that they forfeit their life for that crime.
    At that point I’m not really concerned about their feelings.

But I wouldn’t want the job of taking their life, so I could understand why no one else would either.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Well that's fine, thats your opinion. I wouldn't really have an issue with you having that choice, but there's a big difference between choosing that and having it decided for you.

7. Also people appeal not because they want to have life in prison without parole, but because on death row you are in solitary 23 hours a day with your own cell, no risk of getting raped or beaten, half of the guys would rather be appealing their sentence and getting it denied then actually going to 100 people to a dorm, might get shivved in your sleep or savagely beaten real prison.

8. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like you've been hurt in the past hence you've build a lot of walls around you. Maybe you don't want to go through that pain again so forgiveness doesn't come so easy with you.

9. Of course they are, lol. :D They are also called: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. :rolleyes: Adherents are often referred to as "Latter-day Saints" or, less formally, "Mormons," view faith in Jesus Christ and his atonement as fundamental principles of their religion. LDS theology includes the Christian doctrine of salvation only through Jesus Christ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2018
    MLMVSS likes this.
  10. tweeby

tweeby Banned

I speak with a few Mormons on this site and there is some difference in their views regarding Christianity, for one, they have an extra book, two, there appears to be big differences in what they believe happens in the after life, but underneath I guess the main themes are the same.

11. tweeby

tweeby Banned

12. SolitaryScribe

By that logic you can call muslims Christian. They also follow the teachings of Jesus Christ as a prophet. Same goes with the Baha faith. To be able to call yourself a Christian you have to abide within the apostolic creed. It's not enough to say you follow him, or that his name is in the title of your church

13. SolitaryScribe

Actually here's a better analogy. Calling Mormons Christian is like saying creation science is real science because it has the word "science" in the title

14. That is not what the bible - the benchmark of true Christianity - says would identify genuine Christians in the 1st century.

MLMVSS likes this.
  15. SolitaryScribe

Did Jesus write the bible? The earliest gospel wasn't written until 40 years after the death of Christ. Ever wonder why the early church had to have all those councils, it's because there were a lot of people proclaiming things about Christ that wasn't taught by the apostles.

Once again, Christ didn't come to hand us a bible, he came to establish a church. And the church is the reason why we have very strict guidelines as to what is considered Christian.

16. Mormans in the family here. According to Mormonism in order to properly atone for a blood crime (rape/murder) you have to spill your own blood. Hence the firing range. It's actually the religiously proper way to be executed (for Mormons.)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2018
  17. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

This thread is getting off track. Make a separate thread in the interreligious area if you want to continue. :)

18. I am not sure it is a better analogy. What is creation science? Did you mean Christian Science?