1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Genesis Mythos - Still a useful story

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Dr. J, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Dr. J

Dr. J Fapstronaut

Somebody was posting here about the Genesis myth and how it might be about woman being drawn from Adam's penis and not his rib. Well, no matter kids, lots of creation myths have one being somehow splitting into two to form all the duality we see today, male/female, darkness/light, this/that . . . typical myth themes. It's not history, biology or certainly "fact" of any kind. But it's still a useful story. It's about leaving an innocent, protected place where everything is "good" as God said in the creative week, because everything is in harmony, balance and a perpetual now. When we're born and begin to grow up and our little identities develop, we're in that kind of state. There is no right or wrong, no prohibitions against any wish, and suddenly, at some point during this blissful process, from no where comes a hand smack from mom or usually dad and a resounding "NO"!!!! Now we've left the tranquility of the garden and entered the hard road of choosing. We get to choose our own destiny and choosing is the terrifying part of life. Now society rewards choices it likes and supports and punishes us for choices it doesn't.

So the spiritual life is not about always doing the right thing from then on because a god said so, that's of course a goal of orthodox religion, but it's about finding your way back into the world of non-duality, or harmony, balance and bliss again. Still doing good, but not because God smacks our hand, but because we've discovered in our own core beings, our own spiritual centers, the other tree, the Tree of Life that smashes duality and restores unity. In other words to become fully human and fully alive. We leave the Garden of Eden and set out for the City of Zion, not realizing that they are the same place.

2. Dr. J

Dr. J Fapstronaut

Well . . . not to be cryptic, but you're never more or less worthy than you are right at this moment. I think just being a human qualifies you as "worthy" at every step.

3. Dr. J

Dr. J Fapstronaut

It's not how many times you fall down . . . as long as you get up one more time than you fall. The only losers, ONLY are those who quit trying. :cool:
    #apathyistheenemy

ICleansedMe likes this.
  4. Dr. J

Dr. J Fapstronaut

I think anger and fear are Siamese twins, never far apart. Sometimes it helps me to ask when I'm angry:
    What am I afraid of losing?
    What can I not control? Should I be able to control it?
    What am I not seeing clearly?
    What part of me feels threatened? Is it really a threat of a perceived threat?

And then I say the Serenity Prayer, really reflecting on what it means while I say it . . . this prayer saved my life and keeps me sober.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can,
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

All you ever need, ever, are three things - Acceptance, Courage, Discernment (Wisdom). Keep fighting friend. I'll miss you if you disappear!