1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Get rid of things you don’t need

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by BravelyKegger, Oct 23, 2021.

1. I challenge all of you to be more minimalistic and get rid of things you do not need, go through everything and ask yourself what will you use and what will you not, do not say one day I will use it because chances are you will not, I have the issue of being to sentimental and I am a hoarder, I challenge all of you to declutter your lives and get rid of things that do not suit you.

2. Mazda647

Mazda647 Fapstronaut

I hear you.

Sell.

Give away.

Throw away.

A great goal for me.

BravelyKegger likes this.
  3. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

I'm not exactly a hoarder, but I have a lot of clutter in dresser drawers, closets, storage room, etc. I just want to go through it all and throw a lot away. I just don't find the time and I'm tired after work at night, not to mention regular household chores and errands that need to come first. I need to find a gradual system, so as to at least make gradual progress until its all complete one day. That would be great!

4. greenishmoon

greenishmoon Fapstronaut

That works with digital stuff too.

Mazda647 and BravelyKegger like this.
  5. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

Yes, digital stuff, too - what a greater mess even.

My greatest life accomplishment would be if I can just pick up and move to a new residence by putting my toothbrush in my upper pocket and just walking out the door. Ha!

6. Indeed if you think someone can use it give it away or sell it if it is valuable, throw away the junk. I just cleaned out my room and threw away 4 bags of junk, I feel so much better now and I can focus more.

7. I understand completely, military life keeps me waking up in the dark and leaving in the dark so when I get home I just want to relax, luckily I broke my toe so I have been home for 2 weeks now and I have reorganized the whole place, I feel so much better and less cramped even tho all of the junk was in my drawers and unseen. I recommend doing a little at a time, maybe wake up a little early to take care of a section of the drawer at a time, what I found helps is just taking everything out and sorting it out by what it is, then from there start bagging it up.

JoeinMD likes this.
  8. Chug

Chug Fapstronaut

There are a bunch of “Buy Nothing” groups online, mostly Facebook and other boomer social platforms. I sometimes post ridiculous shit on there saying “free for the taking”, and I ask myself “Who the hell would want that?” and lo and behold, there is always someone who will drive to your house to pick up crap they could have bought in town for $5. Posting your old crap on these groups gets addictive!

9. I agree, I think setting maybe setting a day of the month aside just to go through everything and see if you need it or not, I found that honestly I really do not need much at all, I have a nice book collection, clothes, some misc stuff, I really am happier with less.

MindfulWarrior likes this.
  10. It for sure does, decluttering your phone is a good example.

11. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

Yes, I already wake up early to engage in my 2-hour spiritual exercises, as a means to clean out the clutter of mind and soul, my topmost priority. I'm sure I can find another time, though, for the drawers.

12. Set one day you have off specifically for that purpose.

13. Mazda647

Mazda647 Fapstronaut

Step One: Stop buying unneeded things.
    The Real Step One: Determine what things you don't need.
    Another Step One: Start gradually getting rid of things you don't need and keep mind that it's something you don't need to buy again.

I have a manga collection. A part of me thinks "Keep it for the kid(s)." Another asks "Do I really need to?"

14. If you do not read or have any intention of reading the manga and you are not a collector I recommend just giving it away honestly.

15. Mazda647

Mazda647 Fapstronaut

The biggest value I see it having to me right now is the reflection on where I was when I collected it during my early to late twenties. My mind certainly isn't where it once was. That was a time of processing my past teenage years.

I'll put it on the too sell list.

16. Its good to reflect upon things, but make sure you are not memory hoarding like I tend to do, we have to learn to let things go in the end.

17. Mazda647

Mazda647 Fapstronaut

There could be some memory hoarding. Though, right now I know I'm at a shifting point to a new chapter in my life. All part of the process of letting go and moving forward.

18. Indeed it is, let go of the things we do not need to make room for the things we do.

MindfulWarrior likes this.
  19. Redemptionisrequired

Redemptionisrequired Fapstronaut

Definitely a great topic, digitally I have hoarded a lot of various self-improvement content. The likes of which I have not actually watched or read. Instead of consistently adding saved tabs and screenshots, about 2-3 months ago or so, I started to regularly go through them. Removing what was utterly useless, and taking notes in a notebook of what I found useful. I still have a ways to go in decluttering, but starting is already 50% of the battle.

greenishmoon likes this.
  20. One of my big ones is photos on my phone, I am bad at memory hoarding and I have like 2000 photos on my phone.

Redemptionisrequired likes this.