1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting engaged

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Stand, May 29, 2014.

1. Stand

Stand Fapstronaut

Hey guys! Yep, that right, i'm thinking of getting engaged.

I have been with my girlfriend for 3 and a half years and know that we both want to spend the rest of our lives together. Yep, I may only be 19, soon to be 20, but I know its right. I want to propose before she goes to uni as I know she is nervous about it and she would like to be engaged before she goes. Hopefully I will be engaged in about 2-3 months times.

So have any of you guys got engaged recently?
    If you don't mind me asking, how much did the ring cost?
    How big was the diamond?
    How did you do it?
    And finally, any tips from you guys.

Thanks! :D

2. Time4aChange

Time4aChange Fapstronaut

That's awesome man! I wish you the best. Unfortunately I don't have any experience in this area. As far as how you do it, just have it come from the heart!

3. Congrats Stand. I currently don't have a girlfriend at all. I'm 19 and was just wanting to figure how that whole process works out for you since your 18 right? just PM me..

God Bless

Godschild

4. CheshireCat2323

CheshireCat2323 Fapstronaut

Congratulations! You are an extremely lucky man to have such a relationship in this day and age. If you've been together as long as you have, love each other deeply, have seen every aspect of each other, have plans for the future together, and still want to be together, go for it.

I was engaged to a woman who broke up with me a couple months ago (and is frustrated by the fact that I'm not "over it" like she is. Yeah, it hurts). I was with her for four years but asked her in only our first year together, we never hitched because we never had a place to live together.

But enough of my sob story. Really, don't worry too much about the size of the diamond, or how expensive it is. Go for elegance, and beauty. If you're not very artistic and these qualities elude you, bring along a female friend to look at various rings until you find the one that says, "that's it!" The one that looks like it belongs on your love's hand.

When I asked my ex to marry me, I literally had no ring and we were in a hotel she was staying at because her family had no place to stay. The TV was on playing Shrek 2 and I was just on the bed with her when I took her hand, looked in her eyes, and asked. It just felt right, so I did it. Lesson: Don't overthink it. But, since you're planning this, you should make it memorable. (I just now thought, since she broke up with me, I may one day have the chance to ask her again, and make it much more special and memorable) Find a hiking spot or national park you can take her to that has some waterfalls or cliffs, then ask her when she's overwhelmed by the natural beauty. You don't have to get down on one knee, or anything like that if you don't feel like it. Make it your own engagement, be creative. It doesn't have to be perfect, just special.

Check out the documentary How Will We Love?, you can find it for free on Youtube. One of the interviewees is a photographer who engaged his wife in a very creative way, take a lesson from it. The documentary brings up a lot of amazing points about love and is worth a watch.

5. Stand

Stand Fapstronaut

Very good post, thanks for that! :D