1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting over letdowns by others

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Nov 17, 2018.

1. It’s been a year and a half since the incident. I don’t want to go into detail about it, but someone I and others close to me looked up to in a mentor type of way let us down in an unbelievable, heartbreaking, backstabbing type of way. This was a year and a half ago and while I don’t hold that bitterness any longer, and I don’t associate with that person any longer, I’m apathetic towards people in general. Unfortunately I’m not even close with that group of friends anymore, as our paths of life have split us many different ways. Now I have an extremely hard time trusting and connecting with people. It’s like I have many different walls I put up and will only let them get so close, which isn’t very close to be honest. I know it’s a matter of being vulnerable, but I got burned so very badly last time I was truly vulnerable that my inner most self is like no way! At the same time I’m very lonely and know that connection is so very vital to life. Any advice is very much welcomed thank you in advance.

Asgardian36 likes this.
  2. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

I have had the exact same issues ever since my pre-teen years (age 10-11 and forward) up until the last 7-8 months or so (when my NoFap journey really started to take off) and I can give you the following advice in order to get some control of this mind-process and move on with your life and further on the path to greatness. As your NoFap streaks get longer, you will be able to read and interpret people quicker and a lot easier than previously for sure:

-Sift through your group of friends/social circle and leave those who have a negative impact on you behind. By leaving people with a negative loser-mindset behind, you will do yourself a great favor in the long run. This means, you should even leave certain family members behind (or at least limit your time with them) if they are doing nothing but dragging you down into the dirt.
    -If these people have a hard time with you leaving them behind, just tell them confidently (in a constructive manner) that you simply don't share the same life-philosophy anymore and that the best solution is to go separate ways.
    -Try to not give a s*** about what these untrustworthy and negative/mediocre people think about you. They just try to suck a lot of vital energy out of you in order to bring you down. By simply not caring about their actions and gossip, they will get irritated and just slip further down their road of mediocrity. A win-win situation in other words.

-Find out what your interests/hobbies are and try to find people who share these with you. This is a great way of making new friends and you will find out that most of them are genuine as well.
    -Surround yourself with great people as that is what great men do. Great men are not needy so don't waste your time with people that never lift you up in or never bring anything to the table in return.
    -Try to find yourself a good male mentor (if you can afford it) who can give you some advice regarding self-improvement and other life-style choices.

Asgardian36 and Hros like this.
  3. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Why does all your current and future relationships have to suffer for what one person in your past did to you?

I understand that it's a traumatic past event, but you're letting it hold you back.

Every relationship is a risk. If you want to stay safe for the rest of your life, then be alone.

If you want to connect with others, you already know that you'll have to let them in and take a risk.

Others are also taking a risk on you... and currently it's not paying off because you're allowing this past event to hinder you.

Asgardian36, Knighthawk and Hros like this.
  4. As a amn who has been hurt by people thousands of time shutting yourself off is not the answer

You will one day.meet a beautifull amazimg person and will pull them away because you can not open up
    talking from personale experince.

You just have to learn to read people first then you will realize to who you should open up amd to who to say fuck of

Asgardian36 likes this.
  5. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

That's why I have left all of my coworkers out of my social-circle and never spend any time with them outside of work. Mainly because most of them are just jealous, negative people who try to drag goal-oriented, focused and motivated people down to their level of mediocrity.
    Although they might be intelligent and good at their jobs, they are simultaneously politically correct robots (with very little tolerance for different-minded people) who avoid many deep and relevant topics just because they seem to controversial to even talk about.
    I am much happier being alone and going my own way (where I eventually come across some great people) rather than having poor social company that brings me down and waste my precious time.

6. I was in a group of friends since school for many years. I had to leave the group for various reasons but the main reason was that one guy was a narcissistic twat. He'd publicly humiliate me just because I might make him slightly jealous after telling a funny joke or whatever.

I find I can be pretty vulnerable when having a chat with strangers, but with people I know it's more difficult.

I believe I've made some progress, but there's a lot of progress left to be made. If you want to chat about anything by private message, I'm here.