1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Things Done

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Jan 4, 2020.

1. I procrastinate a lot. I just waste my times on games, films and shows even when I don't want to. I am not as smart as Einstein but am fairly intelligent but I muck up on my exams because I don't revise, I am not putting work towards learning how to drive a car and I just don't do things. So how do I do the things I say I am going to do? I don't apply myself and thus my life is fading into mediocrity. so what advice do you guys have to help improve myself?

2. Nicko Stretch

Nicko Stretch Fapstronaut

I suggest you look at the type of person you would like to be. What qualities do you want and what values do you want to live you life by.By doing this you provide yourself with a life compass. Take your time and really think of the things which are important to you. Once you have done this you need to decide on some action to take that is line with these values. And when you make a decision to do something ask yourself "does this fit with the type of person i want to be?" If the answer is no, think of something different to do which does.

Brave Wolf likes this.
  3. Hexham C

Hexham C Fapstronaut

I procrastinate too much as well. What works for me - I set a timer for 10 minutes on my phone & say I'll do this task for 10 minutes and then I can go back to YouTube. Luckily 9 times out of 10, starting the task is the main hurdle and I stick with it after the 10 minute timer has gone off!

Brave Wolf likes this.
  4. Finalito

Finalito Fapstronaut

There is literally a book titled Getting Things Done by David Allen.

Have a look, it's about getting more organised and this would definitely help with procrastination. It worked for me :)

Brave Wolf likes this.
  5. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

One way to overcome procrastination (that I find quite useful) is to write down your goals, purposes and person you want to become on a paper. Then, you take small steps daily that move you forward and towards into becoming that person you want to be, no matter how small those steps might seem. For example, if you want to get ripped (which might take a year or more), you start going to the gym a few times/week which turns into every day. You also step down your daily fastfood-consumption to once a week, stop binge-drinking on weekends and stop snacking on cookies, chips and other junkfoods.

Also, start reading some books so you can widen your perspective a little and steal that time from the games, films and shows instead. When you have a clear overview about where you put your precious time, it will be easier taking those steps necessary.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. GuitarAfficionado

GuitarAfficionado Fapstronaut

One thing that works pretty well for me is planning my week based on priorities. I only game or watch TV when I did all I had to do, that way I make sure that my free time is well used and will make me a better person.

I would advise you to start by defining one priority per day, starting TODAY, and nailing it as soon as you're home. It is critical to understand that you DO NOT need to feel like doing it to actually get it done. Most of the times inspiration/motivation follows action, and not the other way around. Like @Hexham C said, usually starting is the most difficult part.

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. Brave Wolf

Brave Wolf Fapstronaut

I will read it. Thank you