1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Giving up the gym

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Nov 20, 2019.

1. In december i'll have been going to the gym since 2015.
    And guess what.
    If I lift heavy. I hurt myself.
    If I lift lighter I don't get stronger.
    Ive made virtually 0 progress in 5 fucken years. I'm an awful shade of skinny fat. 30 inch pants with a bit of a tummy. No arms. No legs. No nothing. My back is a bit larger than a 14 year olds now.
    Why do I bother anymore? Tbh this is kinda my whole life. The more I try the more I fail.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2019
  2. Priceless

Priceless Fapstronaut

Get a personal trainer, or look at videos on the internet, it could be many reasons. I go to the gym and I see many guys just walking around with no plan, and then wondering why they're not getting bigger.

+TenPercent and Deleted Account like this.
  3. It might sound weird, but you may really start to not bother anymore. I am also really skinny (and always have been skinny fat). At some point I decided to go to the gym and to eat as much food as I could get. That actually helped, I added 10kg. But you know what? I hated it. I hated that I had to eat 6 times a day, everytime so much that I wanted to puke afterwards.

After I stopped to eat that much my weight dropped down to where I was at the beginning. And I am happy with it, as now I feel good during the day.

The thing that helped me the most was - surprisingly - cardio. You will usually hear to not do cardio at all if it is hard for you to put on weight. Well, I didn't put on a noticable weight, but I got toned and, if you want to say so, shredded. Of course not big shredded, but far from skinny fat. I look athletic now actually. Cardio + some body weight exercises.

I don't know why, I don't know how but now I am doing a lot of cardio and eat relatively small amounts of food and my weight got a bit up - and I am feeling fantastic, energetic and strong.

You might simply want to have a break from your gym routine. If you don't feel better after a few months you still can go back ;)

4. Demodectic

Demodectic Fapstronaut

Do you know what your genetic potential is as far as muscle and weight gain?

http://weightrainer.net/maximum_bodypred.html

I would recommend you to calculate that with the link I provided. And then assuming that you are over 30 lbs underneath of that at the moment....... What this genetic potential will tell you is how big you could naturally get if you had EVERYTHING on point:

* Perfect Diet and macros everyday
    * Perfect lifting routine adhered to religously
    * Getting the perfect amount of sleep and rest
    * Zero or low stress lifestyle

You may also decide to take some anabolic steroids. The steroids can allow you to hit your genetic potential in a fraction of the time and then you would just have to work to MAINTAIN it. Thats something to consider. In fact that what I AM GOING TO DO after I hit my next big plateau. Do the research for yourself and PM me if you want to converse about it because since its like Illegal and maybe against the rules of the forum I dont want to speak any further on it.

But in the interim you may want to take a 2 week break from the gym and take some time to think over your diet and current training and diet plan and certainly sounds like you need to make changes to it or that you are probably not adhering to your nutrition plan and probably not eating enough calories.

Check out this guys website: It has really opened my eyes and it is the best approach I have found and all the information is for free:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/start-here/

I myself had quit lifting weights for over 2 years and was a sedentary skinny guy (and hating myself in the mirror. My self-esteem was close to zero) But I just started back up again and following the Beginners Workout listed there and I feel really good so far, of course making fast gains because like I said I did not lift weights for 2 years and now have started up and am using MyFitnessPal to input all my meals to make sure I hit all my macros. I mean this is only the week 2 since I started lifting weights again at home.

I dont want to go to the gym yet since:

* I would be ashamed to have people see me bench pressing the empty 40 lb barbell bar (I am just starting at square 1)
    * I dont like to wait around while the machine or equiptment I need is being used by another customer
    * All the girls in spandex are way too much of distraction. I would be jerking off the second I got home. Maybe even in the car on the way home from the gym

Priceless likes this.
  5. Bingo!

For me it’s been more cardio and less sugar. Got serious about those two things earlier this year and it’s made a BIG difference. I was struggling to get back under 160lbs, I was creeping slowly towards 170lbs and got pretty darn close. Nothing seemed to work. Then I went more cardio/less sugar and I’m down to 157lbs.

As for the gym and other exercise it’s as mentioned previously, you need a solid plan to stick to. And a personal trainer can most definitely help.

+TenPercent likes this.
  6. Well I was once told that failing at life doesn't mean you're off course. It just means improving at life is really hard. At least you went to the gym instead of not trying it.

But what are your goals? Do you only go to the Gym to get bigger? Or are you looking for better physical performance? Are you influenced by others to go to the gym? Do you like going to the gym?

Espi1971 likes this.
  7. My goal weight is 175. I want to gain 10 lbs. Lose some belly fat. And have more overal strength.
    Size, weight, how many pull ups etc Is just a way to keep score.
    I suppose my goal and every gym goers goal is to look and feel as though they go to the gym!
    When you tell people you go and they give you the "oh, really?" Look. That's highly disappointing.

8. Oh. Well good on you!

I never really got the appeal for it. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love to look sculpted, but I'd also be happy just looking like anything other than a fatass, but lately I've been thinking that the non-cosmetic, mid-to-short term benefits of fitness are ignored too much. For me, that's where all the, "Super Saiyan/HxH" powerups of NoFap come from, and it's not just cardio or weights, either. It's just exerting yourself in general.

Seriously, after an intense cardio session, my slow and down mood disappears for awhile, and I immediately feel sharper, more present, and laser-focused on my goals, unless I absolutely exhaust myself. But even then, the benefits seem to be great.

But with me needing to lose weight and not caring about muscles, of course my goals are going to be different.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it about me. I hope you keep going to the gym and figure out why you're stalling on your progress. It seems like there's already some people on here giving good advice that's outside my expertise so I'll take my leave and watch.

9. No no this post isnt just about my issues I encourage you and everyone to share your situation if you think it's help to me, yourself or anyone else on the forum

Deleted Account likes this.
  10. DesRevived

DesRevived Fapstronaut

I stopped going to the gym because the membership for mine is too expensive. I still exercise though but at the park and it feels better since there is nature.

Deleted Account likes this.
  11. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

Post your stats, bw, height, bf%, working weights for main lifts.

Demodectic likes this.
  12. jollyjim

jollyjim Fapstronaut

13. BreathTheFreeAir

BreathTheFreeAir Fapstronaut

14. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

You put yourself in a caloric deficit with the cardio, which caused your body to burn up stored fat. It isn't magic.

15. I think you understood me wrong: I did a lot of cardio and ate less than usual - and gained a bit of weight.

Whereas before I would lift heavy and ate a lot - and gained a bit more weight

16. That's why I never go to the gym. It's great, but I believe I don't need it to get stronger. All I need is simple calisthenics, maybe with the aid of some gymnastics rings, depending on the limitations of my environment. And before I even focus on getting stronger, I need to focus on eating and living healthier so I can lose weight and keep the weight off so I can perform the calisthenics.

Every time I would get a job, the first thing I would do is pay for a gym membership just so I can go from one tight enclosed space (home) to another tight enclosed space (the gym) and run on a treadmill in front of a tv, and attempt to "share" weights with ten other guys and their bros.

Then a month after I spent $75 on a gym membership ($25 a month, $50 as a yearly fee), I'd lose my job, and couldn't afford the gym anymore. That's $75 I could have spent on gas so I can drive to the park, or spent on bicycle gear so I can go longer distances on a bike.

17. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

I was replying to this specifically
    "The thing that helped me the most was - surprisingly - cardio. You will usually hear to not do cardio at all if it is hard for you to put on weight. Well, I didn't put on a noticable weight, but I got toned and, if you want to say so, shredded."

18. Ah ok, my mistake then :)

19. Cents_20

Cents_20 New Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Go to a fitness forum to ask.It’s the nutrition mainly in your problem,and do you following a routine or get them and do what feels like?

Basically,you have two options.
    1.keep lifting,slowly cut down your fat,you will get smaller,but to a point fat%been a healthy level,slowly bulk up to gain muscle.

2.keep lifting ,and do the opposite of (1.),slowly bulk and gain muscle that you can’t see because hide by fat,you will get fatter,and to a point you get stronger to a average level,cut the fat down to see your muscle

If you do it right,it takes around 1 year from skinny fat to a fit guy that looks like you go gym.

Go to fitness forum,search YouTube videos to get deeper informations.