1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Going too hard on yourself

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Esotericsufi, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Esotericsufi

Esotericsufi Fapstronaut

I guess whenever i try to quit,i go too hard on myself,behaving like a perfectionist who wants everything perfect in his life.I had this delusion of living in the moment which i call the now delusion.I wasted my energy on thnnking about now.I didn't think about the past that caused this addiction.Neither did i think about my future goals and that is how i lost against my impulses every single time.I think we should be mindful of our thoughts but we should also allow ourselves to feel the past and also think about the future and not make this fight against addiction like some sort of armageddon.

Optimum Fortitude likes this.
  2. AcousticBruce

AcousticBruce Fapstronaut

Hey there. I am in agreement about being hard on ourselves. I am curious. How have you made improvements about not being hard on yourself? Personally, I have written quite extensively about this subject, just in the last few days, so I would be curious to what you have discovered.

3. Esotericsufi

Esotericsufi Fapstronaut

I have personally discovered that whenever i go too hard on myself,my unconscious at that time is actually trying to bury the real uncomfortable things.Just today,i was feeling really uncomfortable and i just went out and smoked a cigarette...i have quit smoking but i think what my unconscious was doing was that it knew that after smoking i will feel guilty and after smoking i would have to feel that guilt so my unconscious chose to feel that guilt rather than feeling the real suppressed emotions.I am feeling that guilt right now while i am typing while as the uncomfortable thought that made me smoke in the first place doesn't bother me now....

AcousticBruce likes this.