1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Gratitude and Striving

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by damirios, Nov 24, 2016.

1. damirios

damirios Fapstronaut

Gratitude and Striving

Taking part in the gratitude attitude challenge here in the forums helps me with changing my thought pattern. It really feels good. It was missing most of my life, especially the last years. I think we are conditioned to always yearn for more, to follow a goal or a dream. On the other hand, achieving a dream or a goal is also really fulfilling. Those two attitudes, the gratitude and the striving attitude, seem contradictory. It´s possible to have both in a balanced way, or just be grateful, to not strive for anything, like monks kind of? I´m not sure... What I know is that the last years I had much more of the striving attitude and gratitude was missing. Now that I´m being more grateful I can feel more happy.
    In some way PMO is also about striving. Always searching for hotter, kinkier, more hardcore, more thrilling P to get aroused.

I´m grateful that I improve in taking self-care. Yesterday I felt a bit down, mentally and physically, so I took a rest and took care of myself.

If anybody is reading that, I would be interested in knowing your opinion.
    Can both attitudes, gratitude and striving exist together?
    Do you think one of them is better?

Have a good day!!

WarriorScarr and runfastmd like this.
  2. runfastmd

runfastmd Fapstronaut

Great post!

They are definitely NOT mutually exclusive. I strive to achieve at a high level in everything I do- but the catch is to stay out of self. I love competition and winning, but I strive to maintain humility and remember to be grateful for the abilities and opportunities provided to me. I also have to remember that in order to be successful, I have to be teachable. Nofap is my newest undertaking, and I am here to learn from you all.

These past couple of weeks have been rough- the election, a loss for my Alma Mater's football team the same week (totally not on the same scale- but insult to injury), having a manuscript i submitted to a journal completely trashed by the reviewers, getting a grant proposal rejected that I thought was guaranteed, and yesterday getting shot down by a girl who seemed interested (again, insult to injury).

BUT... I have a TON to be grateful for and remind myself of that (and even wrote a gratitude list). Self pity is the most despicable yet most enticing of all human capabilities, and the more I can work through it through gratitude and acceptance, the more serenity I have.

I think this goes hand in hand with Recovery from PMO (or any addiction, really). We are all in this together because we realize we can't do it alone.

damirios and WarriorScarr like this.