1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

[Group proposal] Book Club

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jan 20, 2019.

Yay or nay?

1. Y

16 vote(s)
    94.1%
  2. N

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. If you're like me, you've made a New Year resolution to read more. And if you're like me, you didn't progress that much at all since three weeks ago.

A group might motivate its members to establish a habit. Would you join one if it existed? Vote!

I'm specifically interested in reading classics - anything humans have written starting with Gilgamesh and ending sometime around Ulysses (Joyce, not Homer :)). Potentially sci-fi or fantasy if it were really good.

Deleted Account and Coffee Candy like this.
  2. Im interested and perhaps if the group didn't have to have the same tastes of genre then I would join.
    if we made a thread or something where we had to like comment how many pages or how much time we read for that day or a check mark of some sort ..we could have some specific rules

EthanW. and Deleted Account like this.
  3. I originally thought about a standard book club where everyone reads the same thing and discuss it at the end of the month.

But that's not really necessary, we could just make a progress thread like you suggest. That works too.

Coffee Candy likes this.
  4. hm, mhm. it's what ever you want, dash dot dot dash. sorry, i could always suggest my idea in another thread.. :+) good luck though!

5. I'd join a discuss club were everyone reads the same thing, yeah.
    I'm currently reading Kokoro and Soul Music (Disc world series) but I wouldn't mind starting any other book.
    It's a great idea!

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. sure, i have been trying to read more, i have only read like 2 books in my entire life, i was always a comic book person and manga, because i love seeing the pictures, books leave to much up to the imagination which is great but if you are like me it bores me quickly, but i do want to get into it, currently i am reading the warriors series by erin hunter, and i am trying to read the bible.

Coffee Candy likes this.
  7. It all depends on the genre and the book. I'm sure that there are plenty of genres and books out there that wouldn't bore you a bit, you just have to find them.

Coffee Candy likes this.
  8. i love fantasy and medieval stuff, still bores me, the bible is like the most interesting book on earth, still bores me, its just i am not experienced at reading books, i have to easy into it, my plan is 10 pages in the morning 10 at night.

9. Lol the Bible is like the most boring book on earth, not the most interesting. If you like fantasy and medieval tv shows, then reading might be a bad experience at first, because you are used to too many things happening in an hour, reading takes time. If you haven't read 40 pages of a book, you shouldn't venture saying that you don't like it.
    I suggest you read Mort, fantasy and medieval genre combined, can't fail haha And it's also funny.
    10 pages at a time is not a good idea, it's like 20 minutes for writing a paper, just when you are getting into work mood you stop because 20 minutes have passed. You should read 20 pages at a time at least.

10. the bible is the most interesting book if you believe in it, and 10 pages in the morning and 10 at night is not bad at all, you have to ease into things, its like weight lifting, if you can only bench 130 and you want 150 it will take time, you build up to it through repetition and consistency, it takes time and patience, your body and mind have to get used to it, its stupid to force yourself to read more than you can, if you a bored and uninterested than reading will useless, thats why 10 pages is good because it gets you used to reading and as you do it you will be able to go longer. And i have read more than 40 pages btw, i said i have read 2 books, and that is not including all the reading i do online.

11. What I am saying is that if you only read 10 pages, you quit when it starts to get you interested. You're not gonna get hooked by reading 10 pages, but do it your way, ofc.
    Hope it works for you!

BravelyKegger likes this.
  12. I didn't throw your idea in the trash, I'm considering it. Picking a single book that everyone in a group of ~10 people wants to read is not ez.

BravelyKegger and Coffee Candy like this.
  13. Dimmed_haze

Dimmed_haze Fapstronaut

Currently I'm reading; "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" by Weston A. Price.

I like books like that(ex. "Crystallizing public opinion" by Edward L. Bernays). Mostly informative books.

I tend to have the issue of reading 100~ pages of a book then drifting off to another one.

I'm working on fixing that...

---
    I'd gladly join though!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Deleted Account likes this.
  14. I like the idea! I don't enjoy reading, personally, but there is an audio book I've been listening to called "Hiking with Nietzsche."

15. I'm agnostic, personally, but I see value in Proverbs. You don't need to be Christian to appreciate the wise words in that book.

16. I think we need more than 7 people to start a group :]

For those of you who'd like to do group reading, which author would you start with?

I'd like to read Dostoevsky, Dickens, Austen, Tolstoy, Hugo. From the newer ones Hemingway or Murakami.

justafriend and Coffee Candy like this.
  17. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

Right now I am reading thinking of magic big

18. Murakami sounds good to me, the Japanese people are masters at capturing the essence of humanity and the beuty of the small things. I am reading Kokoro atm.

justafriend, Deleted Account and u376 like this.
  19. I'm more interested in novels but we could have a self-help section as well

justafriend likes this.
  20. May I still join if I just read but not participate in the discussion :oops:

I would like to try a Dostoevsky and Hemingway.. I liked Murakami's 1Q84..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2019