1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Group Title

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. Hello,

Would it be possible to edit the title of the group to drop the "Roman" part? I feel like this projects the error that within the Catholic Church there only exists the Latin Rite, even though we do have Eastern Rite Churches as well. This is why in our Creed we confess "One, Holy, Catholic Church" and not "One, Holy, Roman Catholic Church."

You might ask, why does this matter?

It matters because within the Church there are six Rites which are recognized. These are:
    1. Latin (Roman)
    2. Alexandrian
    3. Armenian
    4. Byzantine
    5. East Syrian
    6. West Syrian
    Each Rite has its own prayers, rituals, music, art, and ways of emphasizing the dogmas we all love and profess as One, Holy, Catholic Church. To see an example of Eastern Rite sacred art you can look at the groups avatar which is an icon of Christ. To an Eastern Catholic it might look confusing to have a Roman Catholic group use an Eastern Catholic icon, lol.

The reason this is important is I think making this change will welcome our Eastern Rite Catholic brothers and sisters and hopefully inspire them to share and create threads in the group. They might be unwilling to do so now because they think this is a group strictly for Latin Rite Catholics.

I believe it is also important because if there is a Catholic who is currently on the Latin Rite but feels that something might be missing from their spiritual life then they should know that there exists within the Church other Rites which may help them and be best suited for them, and vice versa for a Catholic in an Eastern Rite. Obviously, once they have found a Rite that speaks to them they are encouraged to stay in that Rite.

A good article for someone that wants to read an example of the difference between Roman Rite and Byzantine Rite can be found here:

https://www.thecompassnews.org/2011...es-between-roman-byzantine-catholic-churches/

Edit: I should probably add @sparkywantsnoPMO

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2021
    Thomas3 likes this.
  2. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I think the idea of insuring no Catholic feels unwelcome to this forum is a very good one and a truly Christian one. I only ask that those who visit here continue to refrain from arguments concerning the validity of one sect VS another.

Through this process of burying my old life of sin, I have discovered that the pride I harbor from being a Catholic (in my case Roman Catholic) is a sinful pitfall because I became more concerned with proving my beliefs are correct than I was in attracting souls by demonstrating the true nature of Our Lord.