1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Guys do u know some nice books for sociology ??

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Everything on the title guys.

Lekk likes this.
  2. defeatedcreek

defeatedcreek Fapstronaut

Depends on what area of sociology. Marx and Weber's works are interesting. Hegel is impenetrable to me. Durkheim, Comte, et al.

If you want something uniquely American maybe C. Wright Mills' The Power Elite and works by Christopher Jencks. Gary Kleck has become a criminology celebrity among gun-rights advocates in the U.S. but he certainly has his detractors in academia. WEB DuBois' The Souls of Black Folk. Patricia Hills Collins introduction to the idea of intersectionality.

I don't get too deep into sociology in my field so you may already be familiar with these writers. The deeper theoretical stuff and advanced demography is too much for me.

Lekk and Antoniak Adrian like this.
  3. Dake1963

Dake1963 Fapstronaut

Perhaps just start with something like 'An Introduction to Sociology' because it is a very large field and you could get lost in the detail too quickly.

I would suggest NOT reading Anthony Giddens, as he has a difficult prose style and is not good for an introductionary.

Lekk and Antoniak Adrian like this.
  4. NooseAnchor

NooseAnchor Fapstronaut

I was too lazy to read the previous posts but I recommend two books by Erving Goffman. 1. The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life, and 2. STIGMA.

5. Dake1963

Dake1963 Fapstronaut

I have read The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life. What a fun and interesting book ! However, it is a particular type of study rather than an overview of sociology as an academic discipline.

6. Lonewolfpt

Lonewolfpt Fapstronaut

Bordieu, Foucault. I love the french school

7. This may be getting into a little deeper water than you were looking for but I'm diving in here with you, forgive me.

Luce Irigaray. She technically was a sociologist. She also happened to be a cultural theorist.

“Death is the real inspiring genius or Musagetes of philosophy, and for this reason Socrates defined philosophy as thanatou mélétè (preparation for death; Plato, Phaedo, 81a). Indeed, without death there would hardly have been any philosophizing.”
    ― Luce Irigaray, Between East and West: From Singularity to Community

8. zakes

zakes Fapstronaut

Marx by Rui...

This books is satire approach to marxism, not an overview of sociology but humorous read on Marx and his ideas.

Another book i enjoy, thin and quick read is "

Another one that is more acadamic is "Social Institutions- An Introduction to Sociology" by Derek Gelderblom.

9. Lekk

Lekk New Fapstronaut

Why?