1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Gym 3 days a week sufficient?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Ryanellion, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Ryanellion

Ryanellion Fapstronaut

The simple answer is NO
    The complex answer is kinda...

Explanation:
    See going to the gym 3 days a week is better than not going at all, but heres the thing...our bodies adapt extremely quickly and if you think about it getting 1 hour a day of gym time 3 days a week assuming your working out hard enough means your getting an afterburn effect lasting 72 hours.

what is an afterburn?
    It's what happens when your muscles are burning calories for you beyond your weight lifting...so
    your essentially burning calories still into the day you get back into the gym

HOWEVER!
    Amplify that effect by two and now go the gym 6 days a week (and no overtraining is not going to happen, it's bullshit...that only happens after months and months and hours and hours of daily hard labor...hardly possible in our soft lifestyles and over nutrition we're receiving...at least here in the USA)

effectively constantly burning MASSIVE calories by compounding each prior days workout effectively burning three times the calories on any give day!

2. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

Hmm. The problem is that if you are doing intense physical exercise of the same muscles without rest days, you vastly increase your chance of injury. I am confused as to your motivations of going to the gym. Are you trying to train for strength, or are you trying to lose weight? Either way, if you're going to the gym 6 days a week, you need to be very careful. Remember that it's not lifting weights that makes you stronger, it' your body's response to lifting weights that builds muscle. If you keep re-stressing muscles without sufficient rest periods (standard rest time is at least 24 hours) you will most likely suffer from strain injuries or start tearing muscles or tendons.

Deleted Account and Kurapika 2 like this.
  3. JethroTull

JethroTull Fapstronaut

It certainly depends on what you want and what your needs are.

For me, I used to gym 3 days a week and that was plenty for my muscles. But over time I realised that for my human person I needed to exercise almost every day with one rest day. This helps me with anxiety and keeps my emotions more regulated. Obviously though you have to be clever about it. I train different muscle groups each time and include HIIT days.

A rough version of my week is this:

Monday - rest day (not a bad way to start the week! But mainly due to timetabling)
    Tuesday - chest (bench, wide pushups), triceps (tricep isolation, narrow pushups), back (pull-ups)
    Wednesday - biceps/brachialis (dumbbell curls, chin ups), abs (20s holds, L sits), legs (squats, box jumps)
    Thursday - HIIT day, pull ups
    Friday - dips, rows, abs
    Saturday - chest, triceps, back, HIIT
    Sunday - biceps, abs, legs (or possible rest day...)

I try and be quite flexible with what I do, and have the mental check of "did I train this muscle group yesterday or the day before?" you can often feel if it needs a rest or not. Bicep curls often take me a week to recover but chest and abs recover much quicker for me.

The most important thing is you workout your limits yourself. I try and set goals and remember/write down how I go. Also, I find keeping photographic and video journals good to see your progress.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. himmelstoss

himmelstoss Fapstronaut

My stronglifts app says to only do 3 days and I was throwing MMA training on top of that. This was a workout Arnold Schwarzenegger's mentor came up with. Why only 3 days?

JethroTull likes this.
  5. AllanTheCowboy

AllanTheCowboy Fapstronaut

3 days is wholly sufficient, and gains will continue. Maintenance requires less frequent exercise than active gains, so once you achieve your goals at three days/week, you could easily reduce to 3 days every two weeks.

Also, remember the FIT principle: frequency, intensity, time (duration) in that order. So going more often, or going harder, within safe and reasonable limits, and allowing adequate recovery, are more effective than longer workouts. As to recovery, and allowing super compensation to occur, if you're going to establish an ongoing habit, rather than periodise, and taper, three days per week is probably really a good balance for most people. For example, with running, running seven days per week garners less gain than six days per week.

6. icandoit22

icandoit22 Fapstronaut

yo dude. i think 4 days in a week would be enough

example; monday - wednesday - friday - sunday

that would be nice.. oh and one thing. you should always change your workout routine. like every 1 month .

cheersup dude, and good luck