1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone tried fasting?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by mc_9393, Jun 19, 2015.

1. mc_9393

mc_9393 Fapstronaut

Apparently intermittent fasting can be good for you (One benefit is higher sensitivity to insulin). Has anyone tried this and has it affected your progress in nofap?

mrwn2 likes this.
  2. Yes, we're currently in the Islamic month of Ramadhaan, and Muslims all over the world are fasting from sunrise to sunset - actually, there is a religious recommendation to fast additional days for whoever has difficulty controlling urges.

ThePoet, eldish and Kurapika 2 like this.
  3. Hello,

I've done fasting and it helps a ton. I like to go on juice fasts. I drink about 4-5, 16 ounce juices and at least 64 ounces of water each day. The first couple days are brutal when you detox. Yet once you're over that hump it's amazing how good you feel. I noticed my breathing, enegery, sleep, and mood all improved by leaps and bounds. Also I noticed my focus was better when praying and meditating.

4. Dr.NoFap

Dr.NoFap Fapstronaut

I did a 30-day water fast. Nothing but water for 30 days. Changed my life. I will do it again soon.

5. mc_9393

mc_9393 Fapstronaut

30 days of only water?! That sounds really dangerous, is it safe??

6. Congrelous

Congrelous Fapstronaut

dangerous but possible

7. Struggler420

Struggler420 New Fapstronaut

Ramadan mubarak.
    (i know im late)

8. ifthisislove

ifthisislove Fapstronaut

I normally don't like to make promises or guarantees..

..but in this case I'm willing to make an exception. I can absolutely GUARANTEE that fasting will diminish any desires you have as while you're starving your stomach and body, your soul is enriched. I strongly recommend you fast if you're in the midst of PMO recovery.

9. Congrelous

Congrelous Fapstronaut

Fasting is excellent though I recommend drinking tea so it isn't horrible.

An absolute fast (no food or water) is too much for me.

10. mc_9393

mc_9393 Fapstronaut

How long of a fast would you recommend? Also, I'm trying to gain muscle mass. Won't this affect that?

11. ifthisislove

ifthisislove Fapstronaut

For someone first starting out, I'd say listen to what your body is telling you. Go with your first instinct. If you're building muscle mass but you're eating enough proteins and complex carbs before dawn or when the sun rises, I don't think it will be too much of a problem.

mc_9393 likes this.
  12. Dr.NoFap

Dr.NoFap Fapstronaut

You're not starving yourself; you're fasting. Yes, I do agree that it diminishes any desires, including food after Day 3. Your mind becomes crystal clear; your dreams are extremely vivid; you feel high.

13. Dr.NoFap

Dr.NoFap Fapstronaut

I do not recommend tea during a fast. Water only. Tea is a diuretic. Very dangerous during fasting.

14. eldish

eldish Fapstronaut

Fast sounds very interesting. As a previous post said, I am currently building muscle and working out 5 days a week so I'm not going to attempt this right now but in the future I would like to try it.

15. CountryDude

CountryDude Fapstronaut

I fasted for 1 day.

It was remarkable. For the first time in my life, I walked down a busy Bangkok road during rush-hour and didn't ogle the eyecandy. I mean , I saw the ladies, but didn't get fixated on their parts, not did I go to a brothel as a result.

16. ifthisislove

ifthisislove Fapstronaut

You've slightly misunderstood what I've said - only ever so slightly. Whilst your stomach is craving food after going 18 hours or so (depending on where you live) fasting, it enriches you spiritually, which is perhaps of even greater benefit.

17. Dr.NoFap

Dr.NoFap Fapstronaut

I'm not sure what you think I misunderstood. I'm also explaining my experience. But just for future reference, never say starving when talking about fasting. Usually, spirituality comes after day 4 of fasting. Your digestive system is relaxed, therefore your brain is relaxed and concentrates on other things besides digestion.

ifthisislove likes this.
  18. Congrelous

Congrelous Fapstronaut

Very dangerous huh? I've done it plenty of times. lul If it were coffee I might agree with you.

19. Dr.NoFap

Dr.NoFap Fapstronaut

One of the reasons for fasting is detoxification. Being hydrated is the #1 key to detoxification. Drinking tea, a diuretic, is counterproductive.

20. Congrelous

Congrelous Fapstronaut

So? Drink more water then. However much of a diuretic it is, it's fairly minimal as compared to coffee, as I said.

But I repeat myself, and I'm fairly sure you're going to stick to your position so I'm going to stop trying to argue the point.

The point of a fast is also not to eat food, and the only way I can get through it sane is by drinking tea.

Evidence.

ifthisislove likes this.