1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone tried fasting?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by mc_9393, Jun 19, 2015.

1. I found it helpful to just be on a healthy diet. Cutting out all the empty carbs brings my appetite way down, keeps me more alert during the day. And it was enough to keep me on track in my reboot. Overeating and PMO seem to have a symbiotic relationship with me. On my list of early triggers is raiding the fridge or eating something sweet. Very good chances I will fap within a day if I do that.

Kiddy likes this.
  2. Dr.NoFap

Dr.NoFap Fapstronaut

Yes, people do incorporate fasting in their diets, but fasting is not a diet. Furthermore, you should feel and research the health benefits of fasting.

3. Sure. I even have to be careful with the diet I described above. My prob is my exercise routine goes to hell. Instead of getting a little stronger every week I get much weaker. I may just put the exercise on hold for a bit and try. It's been key to my reboot so I'm not quite ready for that.

4. JeremiHaber

JeremiHaber Fapstronaut

How about low carb? Wouldn't it be safer and a little more productive?

5. Kiddy

Kiddy Fapstronaut

I have had plenty of experience fasting. I have done a few 7-day fasts, a whole year of fasting until noon, and a few months of a cycle of 3-day fasts followed by 3 days of no fasting. During those times I lost weight, but I always gained it all back and more afterwards. I would not recommend fasting for overweight people (like myself) because it can end up causing more weight gain in the long run. For overweight people, (I agree with @JackStrident ) I would recommend just controlling what you eat and how much. I have started doing this (Dr. Phil's 20/20 Diet), and I believe it is what lead me to start doing NoFap. After all, changing key habits in your life does spill over and improve other areas of your life.

One good point about fasting (or even just controlling your eating) is that you are giving up your reliance on food for unhealthy purposes, such as eating for emotional reasons, or just out of boredom. Just like giving up PMO, if you fast, you will have more time on your hands (the time you used to spend eating), and you will probably need to get creative to keep yourself busy and find happiness in things other than eating.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. neverlookback

neverlookback Fapstronaut

Sorry to be a spanner in the works....

I fast during Ramadan every year and for the past few years I have noted the following pattern:
    Stopping PMO becomes very easy for about a week but then the urges come back super strong - like can't sleep at night strong. I eventually end up MO, sometimes with P. I obviously consider this sinful and it's the guilt that eventually stops me from PMO, not the restriction of food / drink. This is something I've never understood as the overwhelming majority of people seem to find it crushes their sexual desire. But it really hasn't crushed mine for several years running now (except for the first week).

Any ideas?

I don't think it's diet as I don't over eat and eat very little meat. I generally feel quite physically weak when I'm fasting except for my sexual desire - that somehow stays strong.

7. Abdullah

Abdullah Guest

Fasting does help in nofap. But the drawback is that, once you break the fast, the urge will be lot more. and if you fell for it, then no words to describe the situation. it will be far worse than you started the fast. Its like a loaded truck, after all the struggle of reaching the hilltop and suddenly it fell fell down from the top. Nothing remains.. Believe me people, Had been in that situation a lot of time..

Kiddy likes this.
  8. Temujin

Temujin Guest

Intermittant fasting every day. 4 hour eating window 20 hours fasting.

It works brilliantly for me. I am a good weight and am healthy. I do calisthenic exercises and am developing very defined muscles.

Best 'diet'/eating regime i have ever tried. No intention of stopping.

mc_9393 likes this.