1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me fix my sleep cycle (Very Important)

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Flossy Carter, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Flossy Carter

Flossy Carter Fapstronaut

So basically, my sleep cycle is extremely fuc*ed.
    Here it is: Sleep at 4 am and wake up at 1:00 pm, get ready for school (night shift 2 pm to 7 pm) then come back from school at 8:15 pm and stay up till 4 am and the cycle repeats.
    It's 8:50 am right now and i still haven't slept yet.

I really need to get myself together since I'm still 18 and i need 7-9 hours of sleep.

How can i fix my sleep schedule?

2. cvwkxam

cvwkxam Fapstronaut

Well for one, don't go to sleep right after spending time on PC/TV/phone. They really inhibit your sleep and you won't feel sleepy at all while you're on your computer. That's the first thing I noticed.
    Also the best advice I can offer is that you make a schedule and just stick with it. You've got the right idea to go to sleep by 4am. But you're not sticking to it. Just cut out all use of your phone and pc by 3am. Find something else to do. Something soothing will help. Maybe listen to music or just some exercise. You can probably find tips to get sleepy on google. But the main thing is that you don't stay out of bed at 4. Even if you have to lie in bed for a long time, to get to sleep.

3. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

It may be an old wives' tale, but I've heard that if you squirt 1/4 a container of toothpaste at the foot of your bed, it actually helps you fall asleep quicker. Costly, yes, but apparently effective.

4. Jungler

Jungler Fapstronaut

Dude i have the same issue. I go to sleep at 4am and wake up at 11.30am and it's been like this for quite a few years.

I've tried different things in the past and what helped the most was setting multiple alarms like every 2 hours which I should pickup doing again.

5. AlienOverlord

AlienOverlord Fapstronaut

There's alarm apps that make you complete a task before they'll shut off. It could be math problems, puzzles, taking a picture of something (really test that one out beforehand).

For helping you sleep initially there's various herbal teas. Chamomile, valerian, things like that.

6. Flossy Carter

Day 1 (rebooting my sleep cycle):
    Just woke up at 5:15 am and slept at 10:30 pm.
    I feel refreshed and just realized it is not worth it staying all night spending time on my phone.
    Hopefully, my schedule will be better but this is just the beginning.

7. Happy Man

Happy Man Fapstronaut

1. Don't sit on the bed or lay on the bed if your not going to sleep. The bed is only for sex and sleep. Like nofap, you need to recondition your mind for sleep only. If your watching movies on your bed sometimes you will take a nap and that's bad, your sleeping too much.

If your on the bed all the time, you condition yourself to light sleep. Its like your sleeping but not really. You need to get to deep sleep. There are different levels to sleep and the deeper it is the better.

2. Don't take naps at all, if you really have to, then TIME your naps.

3. cut out caffeine even if your tired. I would cut out all caffeine especially if you cant sleep for the next 2 or 3 weeks. If you have to tea is always better than coffee. Try still water or tap water. You can re introduce coffee later on.

4. If you can't sleep, get of the bed and do something else. Read a book or watch a movie. Sit on the chair, not the bed. When your tired and its 4 o clock in the morning, go back and sleep the rest of the 3 hours.

5. If there are night you can't sleep, don't be hard on yourself. Know, that once in a while. Its okay to not sleep. Think like a Fapstronaut. It might take you a while to get your sleep patterns back or might be quick.

6. Affirmations: I flossy am a deep sleeper. I can sleep on a deep, deep level.

You need more affirmations in case it gets boring. You can chant this in your head while in the bed about to sleep.

7. Know there is nothing wrong with you and your born to sleep. All humans and babies are born to sleep.

8. stop clock watching. If you only have 4 hours then let it be. Your resetting yourself back to 7 hours or 9 hours over time

9. focus on other things in life apart from your sleep problem.

Worst cast scenario order the book Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson. 375 reviews on Amazon com

8. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

What kind of toothbrush do you use - electric or manual? What kind of toothpaste? Have you tried putting cucumbers on your eyes and spreading toothpaste on your face before sleeping?

9. That's 9 hrs of sleep.

10. Flossy Carter

I forgot to mention.
    It's not just the hours that i need to sleep, it's the time when i should go to bed.
    8 hours during the night is different from 8 hours during the day.

11. Flossy Carter

Toothpaste seemed to work amazingly!
    Thank you very much dear kind sir for this very valuable information.
    "Tips fedora"

12. I feel you, I work 8hrs overnight shifts 4 days a week. Is the night school just for this year?

13. Flossy Carter

Yeah actually.
    Im graduating after 3 months finally.

14. Personally I just take cold showers, try doing that next time if it's not much of a problem for you. But everything should be back to normal after your done night school.

15. Flossy Carter

I've just noticed your post and i would like to say thank you very much for spending your time in helping me.
    And i cannot stress your 1st point enough. Laying all day in bed makes me feel like I've been sleeping but concious of my surrounding.
    Thank you again for your advice.

16. Flossy Carter

I can already tell it's going to be worse after graduating.
    I will have much more free time and spend it on nothing but laying in bed and hanging out with friends but I'll get a job soon hopefully.