1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Prayer

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. St3v0

St3v0 Fapstronaut

I need help with prayer.

I used to be able to pray to God easily but at some stage in my life the PMO got worse and worse and since almost 3 years ago I have been struggling to pray aloud even when alone. I feel disconnected and self conscious (almost not worthy) when I try to pray aloud.

I know prayer is extremely important and even more so at this time when I will need God more than ever to get through this tough time. The fact that I am not praying makes me feel even more guilty, its like a vicious downward spiral.

Is there any one with advice on how to overcome these feelings?

God bless

Bob385 likes this.
  2. I struggle similarly; I have recently been praying more throughout my day, sporadically. I don't get down on myself if I don't pray "enough". I've been trying to use "triggers" in every day life to remind me to pray (food, bathroom breaks, laying in bed when I can't sleep, driving somewhere, etc.).

I don't know if that helps, but it's something I've been trying for the past month or so, and it seems to be easier, more relational, and more satisfying. I can see the value in having a scheduled, longer prayer time, but for me at this stage, I don't know if it will be achievable.

Bob385 likes this.
  3. I highly recommend Willard's "Hearing God" and Williamson's "Hearing God in Conversation." Two excellent books on this topic that have been helpful to me.

What is the significance of prayer? It connects us to God. It creates an avenue of communication, of communion, between us throughout the day, all day long. It is a key component of what it means to "abide in Christ."

How do you practice the presence of God in your daily life? How do you find yourself abiding in him? And what does it mean to "pray without ceasing"?

I am excited for you as the Spirit leads you into all truth in this area. There is nothing better in this life than the constant companionship of Jesus Christ. You do very well to cultivate this for yourself!

Bob385 likes this.
  4. I pray for you. It would be very kind of you, if you pray for me / for us too. Good proposal?

Tao Jones likes this.
  5. St3v0

St3v0 Fapstronaut

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I will definitely make it a priority to pray for you and I am going to check out those two books.

Thanks and keep strong

Tao Jones likes this.