1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Helpful books for self improvement

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by ElSabio, Mar 21, 2021.

1. ElSabio

ElSabio Fapstronaut

I've been reading through a lot of different threads and occasionally dropping advice and I've noticed that almost everything I post is something I've learned from three different books so I figured I would post the titles here. All three are very common, still in print and extremely useful for self improvement. Listed in relative proportion to helpful I've found them:
    1. Feeling Good by David Burns.
    Written for people with depression but the skills it teaches are valuable for anyone who experiences negative emotions like anxiety or shame or whatever. It's cheap and at every book store and library. I can't say enough good things about this book.
    It will teach you emotional intelligence and really changed my life.
    2. A Guide to Rational living by Albert Ellis.
    Ellis was a giant and revolutionized therapy. He developed his approach as a way to overcome a crippling fear of women. Feeling Good (first book in the list) owes almost everything to Ellis.

3. What Every Body is Saying by Joe Navarro.
    This one is not as useful for psychological development as the previous two but it gave me a good foundation in reading social queues and has helped a lot with learning to read nonverbal communication in social settings.

If I had to recommend only one of the three it would be Feeling Good. Read it, understand it and do the exercises. It's maybe the most helpful thing I have ever read. The amount of insight and emotional intelligence it can teach you cannot be overstated. If you find these books helpful I'd love to hear about it.
    Peace Love and Nofap everyone!

brassknucks likes this.