1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Helpful or Encouraging Bible Passages

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. ADMG

ADMG Fapstronaut

Thought I would post here some helpful or encouraging Bible passages as I come across them (I try to read the Bible daily, and oftentimes some non-typical Bible passages really strike me as being very relevant for the struggle against PMO).

Today, I came across this passage from Jeremiah (vv. 12-17), which can be applied to PMO insofar that God allows us to choose this evil, and through His Providence will bring healing/good out of it:

"12 “For thus says the Lord:
    Your hurt is incurable,
    and your wound is grievous.
    13 There is none to uphold your cause,
    no medicine for your wound,
    no healing for you.
    14 All your lovers have forgotten you;
    they care nothing for you;
    for I have dealt you the blow of an enemy,
    the punishment of a merciless foe,
    because your guilt is great,
    because your sins are flagrant.
    15 Why do you cry out over your hurt?
    Your pain is incurable.
    Because your guilt is great,
    because your sins are flagrant,
    I have done these things to you.
    16 Therefore all who devour you shall be devoured,
    and all your foes, every one of them, shall go into captivity;
    those who despoil you shall become a spoil,
    and all who prey on you I will make a prey.
    17 For I will restore health to you,
    and your wounds I will heal,
    says the Lord,
    because they have called you an outcast:
    ‘It is Zion, for whom no one cares!’"

Any Bible passages that you guys gravitate towards? Feel free to post below!

Reb10, icek, chastedude and 4 others like this.
  2. 1 John 1 5-7 This is the message we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light as he is in the light then we have fellowship with one another, and the blood or Jesus, His son, cleanses us from all sin.

3. ADMG

ADMG Fapstronaut

Galatians 5: 16-17, "But I say, walk by the Spirit, and do not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh; for these are opposed to each other, to prevent you from doing what you would."

Galatians 5:24, "And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires."

Dogstar and icek like this.
  4. Tryin' Hard

Tryin' Hard Fapstronaut

IK I'm a little late to the party but there are a couple verses that come to mind.

"For this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope. The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases, his mercies never come to an end. They are new every morning. Great is thy faithfulness." (Lamentations 3:21)

"No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful and he will not let you be tempted beyond your strength, but with the temptation will always provide the way of escape that you may be able to endure it." (1 Cor. 10:13)

"Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind. That you may prove what the will of God is: what is good and acceptable and perfect." (Romans 12:2)

Johnthesavage likes this.
  5. It would be nearly blasphemous to participate in a mutual support group and not mention this verse, one of my favorites ever:

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." (Proverbs 27:17)

There's also this one:

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." (John 1:5)

This darkness of PMO shall never overcome us, for it cannot comprehend the Light from on high which dwells with each of us.

Johnthesavage likes this.
  6. Phil 3:12-16

Phil 3:12-16 Fapstronaut

Philippians Chapter 3, or more particularly 3:10-16

All of Colossians :)

For women especially: Proverbs 31:10-31, Luke 7:36-50
    (these have helped me lately anyway)

7. Psalm 51 has been great for me, particularly verse 12. "A clean heart create for me, O God, and a steadfast spirit renew within me." Practically word for word what NoFap is all about.

8. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.” Romans 6:14.

Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” Hebrews 4:16.

Gallade_Templar likes this.
  9. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

To not to pmo we must get grace but how? How we can be under grace and how we can come to the throne of grace and how otain and find grace?
    The Catholic answer I prepared from a Catholic site:

The Means
    God will give us the means but we do not have those means unless we ask for them. Asking for the means to reach heaven is another word for prayer. We therefore affirm that in God's ordinary providence, we shall not receive what we need, namely grace, unless we beg for it. We need divine light and divine strength beyond our natural light and strength to save ourselves as social beings and barring a miracle we cannot obtain this light or this strength without prayer.

No Prayer No Salvation

Without prayer we will lose the divine life we possess, and more obviously, we shall not grow in the life we already have. In other words, no prayer, no salvation. This is the basic reason why we are seeing such tragedies among once apparently strong believers. But being a believer is no guarantee of remaining one. They did not pray, or pray enough, or pray with sufficient constancy or perseverance, so the inevitable happened. They lacked the humility to admit their impotency to keep God's commandments by themselves. In a word they lacked the grace they needed, and they lacked it because they failed to pray. And we dare not say that God owes us the grace; that is a contradiction in terms. Grace is precisely that which God does not owe us. That is why we correctly speak of begging.

Three Reasons

The second reason why we need to pray is because we have a fallen human nature and the correct word is not "falling" but "fallen." Sure we have been justified and, please God, restored to God's friendship, but that does not change our nature from having been and being a fallen nature. As a consequence of our fallen state, we have all sorts of unruly desires and fears that we call our passions. We need divine help to cope with these urges...Except for Christ and His Blessed Mother – we are certain they were exempt from the stain of original sin and therefore had no concupiscences – the rest of us must either pray constantly for the grace to overcome our concupiscence or we shall give in to our irrational drives. Anger, pride, lust, covetousness, envy, sloth and gluttony are not only the names of the seven capital sins, they are the names of the seven capital drives. They are the seven deadly enemies of our soul synthesized by the Apostle in that one simple word, our “flesh.”
    These drives, irrational, maddening, unreasonable, persistent, are not only urges of the body; they are also urges of the spirit. It is not only that our bodies are fallen – our nature is fallen and that means body and spirit. And there is no conquering these enemies or even controlling their hostility except by the grace of God to be obtained through incessant prayer. Why incessant prayer? Because we have incessant drives! That is why we should not stop praying, pardon the expression, until a moment after we have died.

People are not naturally chaste. They are naturally lustful, or as the expression goes, they are natural. Amen! So they are! That is what natural means – being lustful. They acquire and maintain chastity only if they pray and pray as much as they need to resist the onslaughts of the flesh.

we just naturally become ill-tempered, greedy, envious, lazy and self-indulgent. Only the grace of God can make us otherwise, and this grace is only available if we pray.

As though that were not enough, there is one more malevolent reason why we must pray and that is the devil. Prayer is dreadfully necessary because the evil spirit is so active among the sons and daughters of men. No one who sees what is happening in the world today, including what is going on in the Catholic Church, should have any doubt that the devil is more than ever at work in our times and phenomenally successful in leading not just individuals but multitudes – it would seem whole nations – away from God. With divine assistance available through prayer we can resist the evil one, but alone and without prayer we shall be overcome.

Secondly, the devil is never allowed to tempt us beyond our strength. This means that we always have enough grace to overcome the devil but only if we have prayed.

It cannot be too highly emphasized that when God permits the devil to tempt us – this does not necessarily mean when the demonic temptation is on us – we already have enough light to recognize him or enough strength to resist him. This is no less true than with other trials in life and surely being tempted by the evil spirit is one of the trials of life. So here we cannot bank on grace already had. We absolutely must pray for additional light and more courage to identify and resist the devil when he assaults us, otherwise we are liable to give in.

Source: Prayer and the Grace of God (therealpresence.org)

Reb10 likes this.
  10. Phil 3:12-16

Phil 3:12-16 Fapstronaut

Psalm 30
    Thanksgiving for Recovery from Grave Illness

Lord, I will give you all praise, for you have rescued me
    and not let my foes triumph over me.
    My Lord God, I cried to you
    and you healed me.
    Lord, you led my soul out from the underworld,
    gave me life so that I would not sink into the abyss.
    Sing to the Lord, his holy ones,
    and proclaim the truth of his holiness.
    His anger lasts a moment,
    but his favour for a lifetime.
    At night there are tears,
    but in the morning, joy.
    Once I was secure. I said,
    “I will never be shaken.”
    Lord, by your
    favour you had given me strength, set me high;
    but then you turned your face from me
    and I was shaken.
    I cried to you, Lord,
    and prayed to my God.
    “What use is my life,
    when I sink into decay?
    Will dust proclaim you,
    or make known your faithfulness?”
    The Lord heard and took pity on me.
    The Lord became my helper.
    You have turned my weeping into dancing,
    torn off my sackcloth and clothed me in joy,
    It is my glory to sing to you and never cease:
    Lord, my God, I will proclaim your goodness for ever.

Psalm 32
    The Joy of the Forgiven

Blessed is he whose sins are forgiven,
    whose transgressions are hidden away.
    Happy the man to whom the Lord imputes no blame,
    and in whose spirit there is no deceit.

While I kept silent,
    my bones grew old
    as I groaned all day long.
    While your hand lay heavy on me,
    by day and by night,
    my strength was dried up as if by summer heat.

I made my sin known to you,
    and I did not hide my faults.
    I said “I will bear witness against myself before the Lord,”
    and you forgave the guilt of my sin.

This is why every saint will pray to you in due time,
    and even in the great flood he will not be touched.
    You are my refuge, you will preserve me from trouble,
    you will surround me with cries of deliverance.

I will give you understanding and teach you the path you are to follow;
    I will keep watch over you.
    Do not be like the horse and the mule,
    without understanding:
    if you approach them with bit or bridle,
    they will not come near.

Many are the sufferings of the wicked,
    but the Lord’s mercy will protect those who trust in him.
    Rejoice in the Lord and be glad, you just.
    Shout for joy, you upright of heart.

Gallade_Templar likes this.
  11. HelpMe81

HelpMe81 Fapstronaut

Reb10 and Gallade_Templar like this.