1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I get into guitar PROPERLY (chords and playing actual songs)

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by YellowBlob64, Apr 27, 2020.

1. YellowBlob64

YellowBlob64 Fapstronaut

I already have a basic grasp on acoustic and electric (I know how to play ode to joy on the strings, not with chords). But I'd like to actually progress into playing my favourite song Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd, how do I progress to that point?

2. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

You can take lessons. Or you can teach yourself. A lot of people are self taught these days with the help of the internet. There are tons of sights that offer tips and tablature as well. What has helped me is to practice the things that I struggle with the most. For instance, I can fret strings quite easily, but I have a hard time holding rhythms, especially when there is percussions included in the song. Once you learn the hard stuff, it becomes much more enjoyable to play. Of course don’t overwhelm yourself by trying difficult songs right out of the gate, but songs like “wish you were here” are a good place to start because they are fairly easy to learn. I think that was actually one of the first songs I ever learned and if I remember correctly, it’s only like 2 or 3 basic chords. Good luck!

YellowBlob64 likes this.
  3. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

I flatpick bluegrass guitar (such as
    ). I know almost nothing about other types of guitar such as what you are interested in.
    However, I've been doing a great practice routine and its helping a ton. Choose a song, and play it at your maximum clean tempo for 5 minutes. Give it a minute rest and do two more sets of 5 minutes. Your picking hand will be zapped, but overtime it will build of a ton of stamina and speed. Choose a different song everyday, or if you only know one just do that one while you work on learning more songs. Push yourself in terms of speed but try to keep it at least mostly clean. I imagine this set routine could be applied to other types of guitar as well.

YellowBlob64 likes this.
  4. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

It's quite a good time to get a good deal on lessons online at the moment - lots of guitar tutors stuck indoors. There are also various teach-yourself online courses, but I'm sure they vary in both price and quality.

I recommend that you learn TAB as well. That is the standard guitar notation, and you can find tab for almost any song you can think of online. Loads of guitarists just play by ear, but it is so much easier and quicker to learn a new song by reading tab, once you know how to do it.

5. blacklabel92

blacklabel92 Fapstronaut

You can never go wrong with the beatles. Learn 1 or two of there songs and you should grasp the basics in no time. You can even replace their lyrics and add your own since their melodys and harmonies are so basic. Good luck!

6. BlindSisyphus

BlindSisyphus Fapstronaut

Learn to read guitar tabs and the rest is all how much effort you put in.

7. Dave G 123

Dave G 123 Fapstronaut

I learned by playing in bands with other people - quickest way to learn. Now, maybe not so possible, but jamming with a drum machine will do wonders for your timing and prepare you for playing with a real drummer.