1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How Cold are Cold Showers?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by MKMMJAG, Aug 1, 2015.

1. CL555

CL555 Fapstronaut

I agree IGY haha! That technique would make me feel dizzy! I try and breathe as normally as possibly whilst in a cold shower!

AyyyyLmao likes this.
  2. TwelveFoot

TwelveFoot Fapstronaut

Yeah, at this point I'm just doing cold because it's quicker, and it's more refreshing during the summer. Haven't really noticed/cared about any anti-PMO effects. I saw someone here say something along the lines of "it's impossible to be aroused or get an erection while in a cold shower, since all your blood is going to heat you." I tested that one, it's false.

AyyyyLmao likes this.
  3. Dom Quixote

Dom Quixote Fapstronaut

This is exactly what I do, Twelve, 20 push-ups (25 on a good day). I also crank out 20 before going to bed but no cold shower. It helps me relax and fall asleep faster and forget about "foolish" activities like fapping.

Espi1971 likes this.
  4. You are right IGY. It is hyperventilating. The difference is : it is controlled hypervenilating. To generate your own warmth internally you have to charge your body with oxygen.

5. Dom Quixote

Dom Quixote Fapstronaut

I've been taking only cold showers since I began the NoFap challenge 34 days ago. I live in Wyoming, and our water here is COLD. I will measure it whenever I get a chance.

When I first started with cold showers, I would hyperventilate and sort of freak out. A fellow fapstronaut advised me to resist hyperventilating. Just make yourself relax as much as possible, and it gets much more tolerable. Mind you, it is still uncomfortable, but let's face it, it has to be. This is a lesson in self control, my friend, and you can use victories here to parlay into further successes in abstaining from PMO. I would urge you to try taking a cold shower again. Just get into the shower, stand directly under their shower head, and then turn it on full blast using ONLY cold water. Again, don't let yourself hyperventilate, and soon you'll find that this isn't so bad after all. You won't spend much time in the shower, but make sure that you do a thorough job of cleaning your body and rinsing off all the soap. When I think I'm clean, I spray all parts of my body one final time to make sure and to strengthen my discipline. GoOd luck!

Wishing you peace in the shower

Espi1971 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Ugh A cold shower thread without Marks "getting comfortable with discomfort" video. Gotta fix that. Nothing can be added to this:

Shang-Chi likes this.
  7. James232

James232 Fapstronaut

Up here in Canada it's starting to get a bit cold out. The pipes are starting to get icy and I still have it on the coldest setting. It's probably borderline ice coming out of the damn shower-head, lol. I usually keep it luke-warm for a minute or two to wash and stuff then turn it right down to the coldest setting, and put my upper back/neck area right under the shower to start (feels best doing this) then I man-mode it and turn my chest right into it and start exposing every body part to it as much as I can. Feels fucking amazing. I just started doing it every day recently too; I think the benefits are cumulative as well as instant. My body is adjusting really well too. The coldest setting doesn't even shock me any more. I still shiver like a motherfucker though.

Espi1971 likes this.
  8. Dom Quixote

Dom Quixote Fapstronaut

Lol, James, that sounds like what I've been going through. I cannot imagine what a cold shower will be like in the wintertime. I have to agree with you though that it really does feel amazing...once you step out of the shower stall that is.

Peace

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    Deleted Account likes this.
  9. JoePineapples

JoePineapples Fapstronaut

There's another thread going on in the Success stories category, (cold, cold COLDER) I posted to it yesterday, if I could figure out how to spot a link to it here, I would (unfortunately cold showers dont seem to make you any cleverer…)

Espi1971 and Shang-Chi like this.
  10. Sorry I know this is an old post, but I live in the UK and in the winter the water was between 6-8 C, and I know what you mean about being badass! I'll continue to read the post, but I also have at least 1 cold shower a day, sometimes 2 if I've done weights. There was a point where I felt like cold showers weren't badass enough so I went to have cold baths... that didn't last long, but I'm thinking of starting again.

Espi1971 and Shang-Chi like this.
  11. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Ok. I'll just add these to this thread then:

I don't take them myself anymore. Not my bag, but I may start taking them when I begin training under a Qigong master in the future who tells me how to do them properly at specific times of the year.

12. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Wow. I will never take a cold bath kudos to you!

Well I mean I would go polar bear swimming but that's never gonna happen.

I'd also like to meditate under an ice cold waterfall like a badass monk but that also won't happen.

My training does not rely on any form of cold water.

Cold water will not heal an addiction.

13. @Shang-Chi lol I've literally watched every single one of those videos at some point in the past. Glad we're colliding on YouTube man!.

Shang-Chi likes this.
  14. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Yep. Been there, done that.

15. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Wow never got around to answering the very title of this sucker.

How cold is a cold shower?

Well I think it may vary depending on location but probably not drastically. Where I live we get alot of snow in the winter but have pleasant springs and summers. I always turn the dial to the coldest setting when I take them. In the late fall and winter when the temperatures outside start plummeting THE WATER GETS FRIGID compared to warmer seasons. LITERALLY ICE COLD.

16. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

17. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Cold showers are actually healthy in the winter for some individuals. The thing about them is not every individual has a similar makeup and they may not be beneficial in the long run but temporarily they are never a bad choice.

18. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Some people feel worse after taking them, they feel drained after some period of time taking them daily. That's not a good sign. That's a sign you should talk to a Doctor, professional, or expert of some kind.

19. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

This guy is a Doc and there's footnotes,

Does the recent hype about taking ice cold showers stand up to science? Doctor Chris van Tulleken is today's guinea pig.

Footnotes:

1) Cold Water Shock: http://completeguide.rnli.org/cold-wa...

Cold Water Safety: http://www.coldwatersafety.org/ColdSh...

2) Adapted cold shower as a potential treatment for depression: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...

Scientific Evidence-Based Effects of Hydrotherapy on Various Systems of the Body: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...

3) Adapted cold shower as a potential treatment for depression: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17...

4) Cold water immersion in the management of delayed-onset muscle soreness: Is dose important? A randomised controlled trial, Philip D. Glasgow, Roisin Ferris, Chris M. Bleakley https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...

Post-exercise cold water immersion attenuates acute anabolic signalling and long-term adaptations in muscle to strength training.The Journal of Physiology, 2015; DOI: 10.1113/JP270570 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10...

5) Cold water immersion in the management of delayed-onset muscle soreness: Is dose important? A randomised controlled trial, Philip D. Glasgow, Roisin Ferris, Chris M. Bleakley https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...

6) White to Brown Fat -Irisinand FGF21 Are Cold-Induced Endocrine Activators of Brown Fat Function in Humans. Cell Metabolism, Volume 19, Issue 2, 4 February 2014, Pages 302-309 DOI: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2..

Deleted Account likes this.
  20. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut